Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is somewhere hidden in the rules. I can't quite seem to get a definite statement from the rule book. Probably my poor reading...

Question = When trying to resolve an "encounter" (e.g. 8 clubs door or 7 spades monster) - are any of the MAJOR ARCANA used as action cards? And if so, what is their "value?" And which ones?

For example. I draw the 9 of diamonds as an encounter. A treasure trap.
To resolve this, I draw the 16 of trumps - the shifting terrain card. Is that an "action card?" if so, does it have a value of 16?

I realise that some of the Major Arcana can be either encounter or action cards (e.g. the 2-10 of trumps (mazes)). But what about arcana 11-21?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. so I read on p.35 that "the 2-10 of trumps... function as encounters or actions cards." that's great.

I assume then that the 11-21 of trumps are only ever special cards, that do not function as action cards. (I realise this from some of their descriptions.) Is this correct?

And I now re-read the advanced cards, and I can see that they are not action cards (as they each have special rules.) Is this correct too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumps 0, I, and XI-XII are never action cards, just the Maze trumps I-X.

The only Extra Arcana that function as action cards are the Lich (9) and Dragon (10).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Barrett
United Kingdom
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumps II-X can function as encounter cards (Mazes) if they appear before any other encounter or as action cards if they appear after the encounter card for the turn. In this way, they operate like any other suit, either as the encounter card or as an action card. XI-XXI of Trumps have different effects. From the Extra Arcana, the Lich can function as an action card with a value of 9, the Dragon can function as an action card with a value of 10. No modifiers apply when the Lich or the Dragon are played as action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.