$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Looking for feedback on our LGS commercial rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I hired a guy here locally to do the commercial and wanted to see what you all thought: https://vimeo.com/193610429/83782b581e I can still do some edits so if you have any feedback I would love to hear them. This will just be played locally so keep that in mind with any suggestions. I really appreciate any help you can offer!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn J
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The screaming/shouting at the opening by the female conductor was a bit much for me. While it's distinctive, I can see it grating on nerves pretty quickly. YMMV, etc.

Most gamers would know the trains reference TTR, but if you're targeting a general audience, I don't know that they necessarily would get that the commercial is acting out any particular game. There are probably a few seconds here and there from the train sequence that may be better spent showing the couple deeply involved in playing the game at the table, maybe laying down trains or cards or whatever.

Overall, I think the concept is really cute! I'd definitely check out your store if I was in the area.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its too long before the game store part.

Maybe if it cut between: Her on train, him on train, playing piece (where the viewer wonders now what's up) her on train, him on train...

For those not familiar with game stores (assumed to be your audience), then they might not know at all what the place is like or the selection available.

And the guy's 'stache is awesome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too shabby, I got the references, but will the general public?

That said, the train fanatic in me was wincing at all the mixed imagery. The steamer is not in the USA, the first diesel is BNSF going over a famous bridge in Arizona east of Flagstaff (Canyon Diablo, which track does not go to Phoenix), and then later the diesel is Union Pacific (which also does not go to Phoenix).

And engineers seldom wore those hickory striped caps, they wore either Derbys or later, "Kromer caps" that often were polka dotted!

Upon rewatching, the diesel engineer actually is slamming on the brakes when he bangs that lever forward.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't disagree that the yelling could be a bit much, except that the commercial is so short and that mustache is so majestic that it all just works. i like it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Giblin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it too. Although time will tell if it can live up to this local benchmark:

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a voiceover at the end (linger a little longer on store info): "Ticket to Ride" just one of thousands of games at Cape Fear Games. Our friendly staff will help you find one that's right for you
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I think its too long before the game store part.

Maybe if it cut between: Her on train, him on train, playing piece (where the viewer wonders now what's up) her on train, him on train...

For those not familiar with game stores (assumed to be your audience), then they might not know at all what the place is like or the selection available.

And the guy's 'stache is awesome.


This was my feelings too. I'd cut to images of the board game earlier so people know what's going on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised at the comments that the intro is too long. It's perfect. Builds interest for the big payoff, which is the couple yelling at each other over the table. Cutting it ruins the sight gag.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was much higher quality than I anticipated. In general it was very good, but I had one critique that's sort of already been mentioned.

jennj wrote:
Most gamers would know the trains reference TTR, but if you're targeting a general audience, I don't know that they necessarily would get that the commercial is acting out any particular game. There are probably a few seconds here and there from the train sequence that may be better spent showing the couple deeply involved in playing the game at the table, maybe laying down trains or cards or whatever.
Essentially this. You spend a lot of time on the train sequence but there's only half a second showing a board game. And to a non-gamer it might not be entirely clear that they're looking at a board game. You really want to establish that they're playing a board game strongly. I'd add a wider shot that includes the cover of the game and more of the table/board. And give it another full second or two on screen so that it really establishes that the intro bit was supposed to be a visualization of the people playing a board game.

One other thing is that you're making the proposition that "board games = fun" fairly well. But the store doesn't get much focus. You do finish up with the store information... which includes the store in the background, but not very clearly. I feel like maybe you need a couple of seconds showing the store and panning across a bunch of games to tie the first half of the commercial, "games are fun" to the second half, "Here's where you get games". Show them something about your store besides just the contact information and a hard to make out background.

For the extra time this takes, I'd trim a bit of time off the opening scenes. They're good, but it feels like you're dwelling on those scenes a bit too long.

Case wrote:
Maybe a voiceover at the end (linger a little longer on store info): "Ticket to Ride" just one of thousands of games at Cape Fear Games. Our friendly staff will help you find one that's right for you
I like this idea.

Lastly... all your contact information at the end is overwhelming. You want people to be aware of your store. If you're expecting them to take down your phone number or address, then you're not using the commercial effectively. All that information is one google search away (if you have a good website). Maybe just show the logo. The tag line "With over 1,000 games, we'll find the one for you" is too small to really read. You leave it up on the screen long enough that I can get through all the information but again that's not the point of a commercial. You want to pique interest, not disseminate all the contact information.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r2byers wrote:
Surprised at the comments that the intro is too long. It's perfect. Builds interest for the big payoff, which is the couple yelling at each other over the table. Cutting it ruins the sight gag.


I agree with this. I think the concept is quite clever, and it works as is. TtR is everywhere, so I don't think more explanation is necessary. I do wish the woman's screaming wasn't quite so shrill at the beginning (you can barely understand that she is actually saying/screaming words), but that's my only criticism. Overall, very well done!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
r2byers wrote:
Surprised at the comments that the intro is too long. It's perfect. Builds interest for the big payoff, which is the couple yelling at each other over the table. Cutting it ruins the sight gag.


I agree. I think the build up makes the viewer stick around to find out what is going on and once you get to the reveal, it doesn't stick around longer than necessary.

I think it is perfect as is.

EDIT: Those who think the intro is too long might want to view it a few more times. The first view did seem long, but it really isn't when you watch it again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great as is but you have to do Pandemic next.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
So we have decided to do a voice over at the end as some suggested, remove some of the text at the end and to show the game longer so people know what it is. The voice over will say "With over 1,000 games in stock we will find one for you". Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapeFearGames wrote:
So we have decided to do a voice over at the end as some suggested, remove some of the text at the end and to show the game longer so people know what it is. The voice over will say "With over 1,000 games in stock we will find one for you". Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions.
Sounds good. Will you post a revised version when it is available?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yeah we have the version with more of the board posted in the BGG facebook group but we have to wait to do the VO on Monday. I'll post the final version when it's ready. Thanks for all the help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to point out that Cape Fear is awesome and has an excellent online presence, esp if you are looking for
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heath,

I think it was awesome! But then, I am obviously biased. Biases aside though, I think the ad hits the mark. To a gamer the obvious reference is there. To the non gamer it should capture their curiosity enough to at least look into Cape Fear Games to see what it is all about.

The board game scene at the end establishes that the ad is talking about board games and not video games. I like how the ad nails what makes the hobby so great to all of us who already experience it. Board games capture ones imagination as it does with the couple in the ad. I do agree a voice over would be good, but also state the store's address in the voice over. This will help (I think) viewer's to remember the location.

Also, I never thought I'd say this but, Andrew is a star!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
kinga1965 wrote:
Heath,

I think it was awesome! But then, I am obviously biased. Biases aside though, I think the ad hits the mark. To a gamer the obvious reference is there. To the non gamer it should capture their curiosity enough to at least look into Cape Fear Games to see what it is all about.

The board game scene at the end establishes that the ad is talking about board games and not video games. I like how the ad nails what makes the hobby so great to all of us who already experience it. Board games capture ones imagination as it does with the couple in the ad. I do agree a voice over would be good, but also state the store's address in the voice over. This will help (I think) viewer's to remember the location.

Also, I never thought I'd say this but, Andrew is a star!



Thanks Chris! It was good playing games with you the other night. Here is the version with the voice over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpA3_H3lrg
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the voice over works well!

I had a great time too! I feel blessed to have such a great gaming family at Cape Fear Games. You, Andrew and the staff at CFG have always gone out of your way to make all of us feel special and welcome.

It is wonderful to see the success of your efforts coming to fruition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
kinga1965 wrote:
Yes, the voice over works well!

I had a great time too! I feel blessed to have such a great gaming family at Cape Fear Games. You, Andrew and the staff at CFG have always gone out of your way to make all of us feel special and welcome.

It is wonderful to see the success of your efforts coming to fruition.


Your group will always be special to us. Just wish I had gotten into board games sooner so I could have made it to more of the outings at Jill's.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
My overall feeling on the commercial is it will do well among people who already very much into boardgames, but most everyone else will find this commercial to be one of those;"Quick change the channel" commercials because of the yelling. I like the commercial a lot though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why you made a free commercial for Days of Wonder but it was pretty decent quality.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second version is good -- woman screaming at the beginning is still a little shrill, but it's ok.

I like you showed the game more this time, and the voice-over is better.

Hope it works to bring business into your store!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Taborcarn wrote:
I like it too. Although time will tell if it can live up to this local benchmark:



Holy crap. Awesome. You know you've played paintball too much (20 years?) when you recognize the gun he's holding by the extremely blurry stock barrel that's attached (old ass Spyder Shutter).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.