Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How many expansions feels "right" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil K
msg tools
I have descent and love it. I play mainly just with one other person but we still find it a lot of fun. Maybe would be better with more but hard to get a consistant group. Either way I have the core (with heirs of blood), trollfens and shadows of nerekhall. I have most of the luteniet packs (u don't think know I really needed them but too late now haha). The road to legends app seems pretty cool and will probably get some use out of that. I haven't finished my first campaign yet though and I also have imperial assault and a ton of that so I don't want to go overboard since I have so much to play already but I want to get an idea of what people think is a good place to stop. Is what I have plenty sufficient for variety and for the road to legend app variety? Also I have an extra healer and scout class because of trollfens so I was wondering if it was important to balance it out with lair of the wyrm or something? Or does it not really matter? If I can stop here that would be great but if you guys think lair of the wyrm is a must buy I could consider that. I just have way too many games haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
I like the shadows of Nerekhall expansion best - in terms of content, I am yet to play it properly. I have almost every expansion (missing just Manor of Ravens), i don't have any lieutenant pack, but i got 3 monster packs and so far i'm regretting only not having bigger boxes to store it all.
I'd say SoN would be the choice in general, the rest supplementing/giving variety to the game.

Mists/ Chains is also a good option, i really like the setting there.
That being said, i don't have imperial assault or the like (only other game i've invested that much is Eldritch horror), so if you don't want to go overboard, i'd suggest getting LoW only (at least for now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 lt pack and 1 monster pack per Quest Exp box e.g trollfens or Labyrinth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
It really depends on what you're looking for, what's missing in your collection of stuff.

I don't think "balancing out" hero class options is necessary. The variety is really the only selling point to focusing on that, and if you collect everything, there are more Scout/Warrior classes than Healer/Mage (because Manor of Ravens adds Scout/Warrior)

If greater Overlord class options are something you want, Manor of Ravens has the most variety (Two full Overlord classes, one of which has a Servant class, and Servant class cards from Chains of Rust work alongside the ones from Manor of Ravens) and Labyrinth of Ruin gives a full new Basic overlord deck.

If you want more Monster choices for open groups and better Hero figure variety, Hero and Monster collections are an acceptable price for what you get.

If you are mostly interested in more campaign to play, Mists of Bilehall and Chains of Rust each have a half campaign that is designed to be played out as a campaign rather than being slapped together out of Rumor cards. You can also combine them to form Complete Campaign (3 act 1, 3 act 2, Finale).

If you just want to expand with "generally more stuff", add Labyrinth of Ruin to your collection. Like Shadow of Nerekhall it has the most of everything plus an entire campaign, albeit with a lack of Overlord Class to go with its "Basic II" deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
OK thanks! I guess in that case what I have is pretty sufficient. I have shadows, trollfens and 6 lt. Packs so I guess that is a good place to stop. I would have gotten a hero and monster packs if I didn't have another box expansion first because they add more than the monster packs. If I don't need to balance out the classes exactly then I probably don't even need LoW - unless you guys think this is REALLY worth it (hopefully it will fit into my 2 boxes because if it doesn't it may dissuade me too haha). Been hearing amazing things about SoN so really looking forward to that! Hopefully this is enough for variability with the road to legend app too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend viewing the expansions as an investment. If you haven't played a full campaign of the base game (or Heirs of Blood), I'd wait until then before buying expansions, that way you know if the expansions will be worth the additional investment.

Once you know you and your gaming group will invest the time to make the purchases worth it, I'd echo most of the previous comments.

Large Expansions (Labyrinth of Ruin & Shadows of Nerekhall) - come with the most overall "bang for your buck", plus each having a new full campaign to play. Adds a little of every type of card & figure included in the base game (Heroes, Classes, Monsters, Items, Tiles, etc)

Newest 2 Small Box Expansions (Mists of Bilehall & Chains That Rust) - Highly recommend if you buy one, buy the other. The two combine to form one full campaign, and no one is really sure why FFG split these two into small boxes instead of making this one large box expansion.

Other 3 Small Box Expansions (Manor of Ravens, Lair of the Wyrm, Trollfens) - In addition to Heroes,Classes,Monsters, etc (but 1/2 as much as the Large Boxes), Adds a mini-campaign instead of a full campaign, and "rumor" cards to add their quests as side quests to other full campaigns.

Hero & Monster Collections (all) - Simply adds new Heroes and Monsters, and each has 2 rumor quests (1x Act 1, 1x Act 2) similar to the small box quests. No classes, items, etc. Nice if you just want to add variety to what you already have.

Lieutenants - Only worth it if 1) You really hate using tokens, and want plastic figures for your lieutenants, or 2) buying a few for the new Overlord Threat/Plot mechanic. Each one includes a Plot deck that gives the Overlord additional abilities. If you're primarily using any form of automated Overlord, including the Road to Legend App, this part is completely worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil K
msg tools
OK thanks for the detailed response! Ya I have this need to get everything going at once for some reason but ya I should hold off on anymore until I have played more haha. I'm sure I got enough for quite a while anyways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo go for big box expansions first to get a lot of classes and a healthy amount of heroes and monsters, so you can start building heroparties and monster groups with very different synergies.

Then get small box expansions to fill in hero classes and hero archetypes that you find you have not enough variety in.

Then get a few H&M boxes to add in more monsters and heroes, again either dependent on your thematic preferences or your strategic needs (for example you want more damage dealer or more ranged monster, female worriers, more usable healer-heroes,...)

It doesn't seem like you will run out of campaigns anytime soon, so I haven't included them in these lists.

Personally I own SoN,LoR,LotW,MoR and 2 H&M packs: Treaty of Champions (cool monsters and viable dwarf hero), Crusade of the Forgotten (really good monsters and more female heroes for every archetype) and I find that collection is becoming kind of excessive from how much space all the miniatures take up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering what you already own, if there is "just one single thing" that you want to add to your collection, it's Labyrinth of Ruin. Hands down.

Just be careful, with Descent there is always a next "just one single thing" that you will want to have. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Until you have collected all the things.
Then you start to consider token substitutions.

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Bones

I ordered a bunch of stuff from here for my "Tokens that are actually figures" substitutions. Just need to apply a plastic 1-inch base for stability, but now I have something other than cardboard tokens for:

Reanimate (77158: Arrius, Skeletal Warrior)
Wolf (77176: Familiars, someone pointed this out in past)
Ravens (It looks suspiciously like a 77046: Bat Swarm)
Scourge (77098: Spirit)
Summoned Stones (77312: Wall of Ice)
And for the Conjurer's Image tokens (77369: Shadow)

I think I'm going to stop with token-as-figure substitutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.