Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I cannot really separate the game quality from the power of the SW license.
If this game were generic elves and orcs in a Runebound setting, would it still be a very good game worth pursuing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trisciuzzi
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the mechanics are really solid. Dice + cards sounds like a "random" disaster but easy rerolls and plenty of dice manipulation options mitigate the double whammy effect I was worried about at first. I really think they'll try to expand this into more franchises in the future if this becomes a huge success.

Someone else pointed out the packaging has a DDS (rumored meaning "Desriny Dice System") trademark which might indicate a system they plan to market. This is Star Wars Destiny so why not LotR Destiny or anything else in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KerenskyTheRed wrote:
This is Star Wars Destiny so why not LotR Destiny or anything else in the future.

You'd better believe that they didn't trademark that system for just one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Tucker
msg tools
It always helps to have your favorite property involved - to be able to play with characters you love, and discuss the lore of the setting with your opponent while playing, are massive draws.

However, from a pure game design perspective, the system itself is very good: it has randomization, which is important for that moment of anticipation when rolling (followed by that rush of glee or groan of dismay as you comprehend your result), it has secret knowledge (in the form of your opponent's hand) which rewards critical thinking, and it has that 'Uno-moment' when your opponent makes a move, and you slap down a card and totally ruin their day.

I think it would be a fun game no matter what IP it gets wrapped up in, but the people who love the IP will always love the game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KerenskyTheRed wrote:
I feel the mechanics are really solid. Dice + cards sounds like a "random" disaster but easy rerolls and plenty of dice manipulation options mitigate the double whammy effect I was worried about at first. I really think they'll try to expand this into more franchises in the future if this becomes a huge success.

Someone else pointed out the packaging has a DDS (rumored meaning "Desriny Dice System") trademark which might indicate a system they plan to market. This is Star Wars Destiny so why not LotR Destiny or anything else in the future.

I think it's "Dice Dual System", I think I remember hearing somewhere else... Still, there's no way they will not use this system somewhere else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, so much of it is how cool they interpreted characters into the card abilities, I'm not 100% sure how much is lost if it were Slothgar of Navin rather than Jabba The Hutt.

It's a good question, and one that may not have a good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
You know, so much of it is how cool they interpreted characters into the card abilities, I'm not 100% sure how much is lost if it were Slothgar of Navin rather than Jabba The Hutt.

It's a good question, and one that may not have a good answer.

Slothgar is the bee's knees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:

I think it's "Dice Dual System", I think I remember hearing somewhere else... Still, there's no way they will not use this system somewhere else

Yup. Still got my Starter packaging. Definitely says "Duel Dice System" on the back. FFG may or may not use the license for another game, but they likely will license it out to someone else to do their own spinoffs (like how X-Wing's "Flight Path System" was licensed to WizKids for Star Trek: Attack Wing and Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think it is one of the most fluid card games I've played. I could totally see this re themed in a number of different ways and I dont think the game would be any worse. I do think that Star Wars is one of the best themes out there but I could totally see this working with a generic fantasy theme, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Marvel/DC, or anything else that dicemasters already has themed with (except Yu-Gi-Oh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Accident Gamer
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
I just hope they keep it in house instead of licensing it to the likes of wizkids. Their production quality is awful compared to ffg.

Ffg has plenty of universes to pull from. I would rather play a well made AGOT/LOTR/Android version than I would a poorly made marvel/tmnt/d&d version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acc1dent wrote:
I just hope they keep it in house instead of licensing it to the likes of wizkids. Their production quality is awful compared to ffg.

Ffg has plenty of universes to pull from. I would rather play a well made AGOT/LOTR/Android version than I would a poorly made marvel/tmnt/d&d version.

Oh I wasn't meaning to suggest they license it to Wizkids, if anything I was meaning to suggest they challenge Wizkids and Upper Deck to gladiatorial combat, and the winner (FFG naturally) would then get the above licenses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get into the game because it is Star Wars and made by FFG.

If it was another theme, I would have passed away, especially since I generally don't like collectible cards game. But since it is Star Wars and FFG and not entirely a card game, I decided to give it a try.

And what I found is a game with a pretty solid gameplay. It's very fast and fun. There is no downtime and the theme is strong. I feel compelled to say Star Wars quote while playing, especially since some of the cards name are movie quotes. They just nailed it.

Would I still buy into it if it was not Star Wars? To be honest, probably not. For me, theme is very important in a game or I'll lose interest. Would I still play it if a friend offered me to? Yes I would, happily, especially if it's from another setting that I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I've been thinking would be a cool license/theme would be wrestling. I think it could really work. Wrestlers would mirror Characters, Events would include things like run-ins, backstage attacks, etc., Support cards could include managers, steel chair, CEO backing and Upgrades could be big finishing moves, gimmicks, "hulking up". Legendary cards would HoF-caliber guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH. Anyone else think that this might be cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
FFG will never do wresting, thank god for that.

I can easily see a reskin of this to lotr. They have all the art they need from the lcg to last a life time. While i didnt get into the game as i hate ccgs, lotr might be the only game i will buy into thats a ccg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They can do a Cthulhu version, but the investigator sides would all be blanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
One thing that I've been thinking would be a cool license/theme would be wrestling. I think it could really work. Wrestlers would mirror Characters, Events would include things like run-ins, backstage attacks, etc., Support cards could include managers, steel chair, CEO backing and Upgrades could be big finishing moves, gimmicks, "hulking up". Legendary cards would HoF-caliber guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH. Anyone else think that this might be cool?

As someone who doesn't care at all about wrestling but loves the GF9 WWE game, I would play the hell out of a Duel Dice WWE Wrestling game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

This would be awesome... I miss the days of the Raw CCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The battlefields could be angles or stipulation matches. I have a pretty good amount of wrestling knowledge if FFG wants to bring me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The battlefields could be angles or stipulation matches. I have a pretty good amount of wrestling knowledge if FFG wants to bring me in!

I have no authority to do so and do not work for FFG or Asmodee or any game company, but I want you to know you are hired effective immediately. Vision, dental and fuzzy bunny slippers included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! The slippers locked it for me!

Maybe I'll put together a prototype...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are so fricken fuzzy. You have no idea.

I broke down the wrestlers from the GF9 game, lacked the wrestler knowledge to build dudes. Some other BGGers took a good stab at it. I bet this game can be broken down and the rough formula discovered for cards and dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. And I'm thinking that thematically, you aren't fighting a single match and your characters are basically a stable a la 4 Horseman, D-X, etc. Red cards are power cards based on strength, Blue cards are speed and high-flying, Yellow cards are charismatic and technical wrestlers. I think I'm going to work on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am good with number crunching, if you need help let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I am good with number crunching, if you need help let me know.

Roger, roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Herro
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Star Wars license/theme fits the game very well and adds to the enjoyment, but the underlying mechanics are solid and different than anything I have played before.

I wouldn't mind seeing a version of this for the Descent/Runebound world. Or Middle Earth, or Game of Thrones. Or Netrunner. Actually, I'd be pretty excited for any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.