Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I got to play my first ever game of the number 1 ranked game on Boardgamegeek.

We sat down to a 5 player game. For 4 of us it was our first game while the fifth player was quite experienced and methodically went through all of the rules for us. It was quite a lot to absorb but after around 20 or so minutes we were away. In the early stages the guy who know what he was doing had to give us a lot of assistance but after a while we were able to get the hang of it and make up our own decisions about what role to adopt.

I somehow managed to be able to produce a heap of sugar and was able to ship a lot of it off for some juicy rounds of victory points. The poor guy to my right kept getting screwed and by the time the chance to ship anything came to him there often wasn't any space left. To compound that he didn't have a warehouse and often had to get rid of everything that he's produced.

While it was only my first came the tactics of what role to play and the depth of the gameplay was slowly becoming apparent. I'm not sure if the guy who knew what he was doing wasn't really trying too hard or not but I actually managed to end up winning the game with 47 victory points! (mainly due to shipping a lot of goods - mainly sugar and corn).

The game went fairly quickly (we ran out of colonists) as we often had a lot of empty spaces in our buildings so each round we went through a lot of colonists (one round I recall there being around 16).

I did enjoy it (particularly because I won!) and have now bought the game and eagerly await the second time that I play it. Should I go for lots of sugar again? Should I read up on all of the strategy on boardgamegeek to try and maintain my unbeaten record? Who knows.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always suggest to avoid reading strategy guides on games, including boardgames. Playing boardgames is all about experiencing its intricacies. Don't rob yourself of that. Explore and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kift
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Don't start reading any strategy articles too soon, especially if you're playing with a group of people who are just as new to it as you are. There's lots of fun to be had discovering and exploring different strategies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.