Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Hofstedt
United States
Oak Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just curious, why do I still see people listing, here and elsewhere, copies of the previous iteration of KD:M (core game) for $800 and up? Anyone can now purchase the upgraded printing of this game brand new, directly from the designer, starting at $250, with an approximate delivery time of this summer.

The ones I see aren't even described as being the all resin beta that was released in the first KS, which even then only cost $600 at the time. Most of these people likely paid around $100 for their copies.

This isn't about me not wanting to pay that much, either. Mine was one of the first Satan's Lantern pledges. No hesitation. Nor am I against owners making some profit, as I would want to as well. But someone offering a pre-owned, previous version of just the base game without expansions for nearly $1k? Just no. Why does this persist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it matter what price they are listing it for? Maybe they would like to keep it, but would sell it if someone wanted it at that price. Who knows? People list stuff for crazy prices all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sellers hope springs eternal.

Also, there are inpatient people out there that will pay it instead of waiting. The game is fantastic and you MUST have it. NOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few reasons I can think of.

1. There relying on the ignorance of people, someone sees it and is interested but they don't do research and the eBay post says it's out of print. So they purchase not realizing there is a KS going for the reprint.

2. There hoping people want the game now and don't want to wait 6-8 months for the new edition. Maybe if money is not a huge concern someone might drop more for the 1.0 to see if they like it before backing.

3. KS only rewards. Some of the eBay listings still have rewards that can't be gotten even if you pledge at the $1666 level.

This person just spent $2500 on base game, 11 expansion and some promos.

He could have gotten 99% of this and everything from the new KS for $900 less.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...gc3kAAOSw4GVYOzUc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why is there someone offering the first ks and all expansions for over 3000 on ebay? Cause either they don't want to sell it really, they have no clue about the game (someone that bought a storage unit maybe and found the game) or someone that is a scalper. while stuff was in the store for sale, I say several ebay auctions listing the same item as out of print. People looking to take advantage of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you pay for a copy right now on ebay, you can be playing it by the weekend. If you pledge on the kickstarter, you're hoping for 9 months from now. But given history, that 9 months could be more than a year.

Another way to look at it is there are people who buy the latest and greatest phone on release day and people who buy that same phone a year later with a several hundred dollar discount. It's all a time and money consideration.

Sellers will always sell where there's a market. As long as people are paying it, people will sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be better off saying "trying to sell" instead of actually "selling". But as some former comments, the reasons for this not to be absurd may be preying (i) on others' ignorance of the real price, or (ii) on others lack of patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
Capitalism cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schoemaker
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When money is not an object why not buy a complete set for $3,000 and then pay another $2-3,000 to have it painted to the highest quality? People spend insane amounts of money on hobbies... I have hundreds of games in my house, many still in plastic but I buy new ones. Anyone who is buying at the $1,000+ level is (hopefully)looking at the amount of time they (and their friends) hope to spend playing.

At least with this you get awesome figures. I've seen people pay $300.00 for an original Up Front deck of cards when you could get better cards for about $50.00 (and a little copyright violation).

Finally, buying on Kickstarter is ALWAYS a gamble, I don't care who the seller / promoter is, there is a risk they will not come through or the product will not be as good as promised.

My biggest beef is the people who buy these, sit on them and then sell them when the price goes up... this "limited edition" stuff for games is pure BS. You should be able to buy the game AND all the expansions from the retailer for a reasonable price. I understand the "marketing" arguments, but for real gamers this is a PIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General comments about income inequality notwithstanding - and realizing that is an increasingly salient issue in contemporary politics - I find these particular negative comments on scalping puzzling. Well-functioning capitalist markets are as efficient a mechanism for rationally allocating goods as we currently know of, and furthermore have the benefit of being purely voluntary for both sides of an exchange. And it seems hard to me to make any compelling argument that the market for nonessential designer board games is broken in any significant way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
OgreKing wrote:
this "limited edition" stuff for games is pure BS. You should be able to buy the game AND all the expansions from the retailer for a reasonable price. I understand the "marketing" arguments, but for real gamers this is a PIA.

From a creator's perspective, the "limited edition" stuff is a nice way to attract backers. Otherwise, unless your KS is offering crazy 50% discounts, backers have little reason to back your project - they might as well wait for the game hit retail and buy it at a discount.

And since when to "real gamers" need all the limited edition stuff?
That sounds more like a completionist collector to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
General comments about income inequality notwithstanding - and realizing that is an increasingly salient issue in contemporary politics - I find these particular negative comments on scalping puzzling. Well-functioning capitalist markets are as efficient a mechanism for rationally allocating goods as we currently know of, and furthermore have the benefit of being purely voluntary for both sides of an exchange. And it seems hard to me to make any compelling argument that the market for nonessential designer board games is broken in any significant way.

what i consider scalping is when you buy it, sell it at 4 times the price, claiming it is out of print when it is not, and taking advantage of someone. Double the pricd i h a ve paid and can live with, but when they lie in the description about availability and charge 4 or more times the price i object and call them scaplers. Would you be willing to pay 5 dollard for dollar menu of McDonald's?

i consider them on par with the people selling counterfeit miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
darksurtur wrote:

what i consider scalping is when you buy it, sell it at 4 times the price, claiming it is out of print when it is not, and taking advantage of someone. Double the pricd i h a ve paid and can live with, but when they lie in the description about availability and charge 4 or more times the price i object and call them scaplers. Would you be willing to pay 5 dollard for dollar menu of McDonald's?

i consider them on par with the people selling counterfeit miniatures.

a) The game IS out of print. The fact that it will be in print at a later date (the precision of which is unknown) doesn't change that. How is that not an accurate description?

b) In a market transaction, the price you paid is irrelevant. The price the market can support is. Remember that this works in the reverse situation too - many people, for example, sell movies, books, and video games for pennies on the dollar, as that is where the market values them (due to re-releases, upgraded versions, technology shifts, etc.)

c) I'd say you can really only "take advantage" of someone if there is a true information asymmetry. And in this case, there is not. Anyone who is able to buy a copy on ebay or the BGG marketplace can do some basic research and divine the game's status. But there is always a cost (in time) to doing so - and for some people, the extra savings don't outweigh those costs.

I understand that scalping elicits a visceral emotional reaction in people. How about we call it arbitrage instead? This isn't food, health services, or anything else essential in any real way. The exchanges are purely voluntary. What's the issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.