Battle of Durak» Forums » Rules

Subject: Team battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
Finland
flag msg tools
Hi,

and spasibo Fedja for the "pimped" version of Durak. I'm a huge fan of this Russian classic card game and I'm looking forward on testing your game.

May I ask about the team battle? The rules say that "if the player between teammates is victorious and leaves the battlefield, teammates still engage in a Battle phase against each other. This allows players to swap cards or get rid of unwanted Battle Cards with the of accidentally forcing your teammate to Retreat."

1. Does this "engage each other" mean that there are two battle events? So that the original attacker attacks his teammate in the first event and after that the teammate attacks the original attacker in the second battle event?

2. "Accidentally forcing your teammate to Retreat". Unfortunately I didn't understand this part.

Let's say that I'm the player number 1 and my mate is number 3. The opponents are 2 and 4. I attack number 2 as he is sitting on my left. I defeat him. Now I play the "each other Battle phase" with the number 3. Let's say my teammate defeats me and I retreat. Who attacks now? Is it number 3 against number 4, since I defeated number 2? What does my defeat matter?

Thank you for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Sosnin
United States
Sparks
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A 2-4 player Trick-Taking card game with devastating skill cards & unique gameplay.
mbmbmbmbmb
Im glad you are interested in Battle of Durak! Let me see if I can help.

1. "Engage each other" just means they still have to attack and defend one another. Just because they are teammates, doesn't mean they get to skip over that phase. "Battle Events" are cards mixed into the deck that have to played by all players after the Draw Phase.

2. Because you are trying to help a teammate, this battle could cause some mistakes. Since a Retreat can give your teammate unwanted cards and have them skip their attacking turn, you have to be careful with which cards you attack them. It's a bit of an gamble, but if you are careful and pay attention to their cards, you can potentially help your teammate get rid of unwanted or unneeded Battle Cards.

Ok, let me try to clear that up. In BOD players are basically playing one of one. What I mean by that is that if Player 1 is the attacker and Player 2 is the defender, once the attack is over or Player 2 retreats then the Draw Phase begins and the Attack Token is passed. Then player 2 would Attack player 3 OR if Player 2 Retreated the past turn, Player 3 2ould be Attacking player 4. You do not actually keep attacking once an attack is over.

With that said, there are no defeated players in BOD. Only one player left with Battle Cards once the deck is over is defeated. Basically, there are many winners but only one loser. So if someone has "left the battlefield" it is actually because they are winning and are leaving the weak behind.

I hope I cleared things up! Please let me know if I can help further!

Best,
Fedor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
Finland
flag msg tools
Thank you Fedja for your help, you cleared some points for me.

May still ask about the "Engage each other" phase. Let's say I have just made the player 2 to Retreat.

Do we continue so that I attack player 3 (my teammate) who defends. Then he then attacks me and I defend?

OR

is it so that after making the player 2 to retreat, it's only me who attacks and the player 3 defends?

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Sosnin
United States
Sparks
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A 2-4 player Trick-Taking card game with devastating skill cards & unique gameplay.
mbmbmbmbmb
If both of you are the only players left, your team wins. However if just player two is eliminated, then you would attack player 3 and he would defend.

This would be so much easier if I can show you! Because I think some little detail is just being overlooked and it's hard to explain. Haha. Maybe we can play a round on tabletopia one night or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.