Nick Smith
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello All,

This was great for games for my kids but now I want one for me

I am thinking I would really like a worker placement game for christmas, Recently played Lords of Waterdeep and loved it but no point buying as good friend owns a copy!!

So what have you to recommend amazing BGG community. I like a strong theme, and like the fantasy world but ultimately really interested in some good experienced recommendations

ideally not something I need/my wife needs a mortgage for!

Cheers

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Champions of Midgard? It's a worker placement game I'm getting for Christmas and I'm not really a fan of those types of games (or Vikings either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Kingsburg
The King's Abbey
Targi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baker
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Kind of a tangent, but seasonal mall work would be an amazing theme for a worker placement game. The players could be temp agencies filling demand for mall Santas and store staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sychosymatic wrote:
Maybe try Champions of Midgard? It's a worker placement game I'm getting for Christmas and I'm not really a fan of those types of games (or Vikings either).

I have seen the Table Top video on this one and it looked good, its defo up there as a posibility

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe look at Viticulture or Dungeon Petz. Both are well regarded, both have good themes. Another to consider is The Manhattan Project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love, love, love Agricola. Favourite game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Being that you liked Lords of Waterdeep, I think that it's fair that you would like to play a game of similar depth and play style.

If you can get a copy that isn't bloated, I HIGHLY recommend Stone Age.

+1 Champions of Midgard

I'd stay away from the Agricolas and Cavernas for now, they are a bit of a leap from LoW and have higher price points as well.

+1 Kingsburg for a worker placement game that uses dice as workers, or Alien Frontiers for a game that I'd argue is better themed and designed.

Viticulture or its essential edition would both make a great selection also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
It looks like your tastes are similar to my husband's and he loves Lords of Waterdeep (LoW) as well. However, he's not a huge fan of worker placement games.

Given that, the ones he does like that you might be interested in as well are:
Dungeon Petz - also a good family game, though a little on the heavy side compared to LoW.
Empires Age of Discovery - won't need a mortgage if you can get it on a good sale like the one at coolstuffinc right now. If you can't get a good sale, skip this one, though it is an excellent worker placement game and not too heavy. Great step up from LoW.
Alchemists - has worker placement as well as deduction, and includes an app (which is fun, but not required to play the game). Not great for kids, but a really fun game for adults, though again on the heavy side compared to LoW.
Argent: The Consortium - worker placement with a lot of take-that and lots of action. Includes being able to cast spells, hidden information, etc. Different workers have different special abilities when placed. Not too heavy, but on the heavier side. Could be good with older kids as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at these. They are a small step up in complexity from Lords of Waterdeep, though not necessarily worker placement:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Roll for the Galaxy
Last Will
Blood Rage
The Manhattan Project
Belfort

Have fun researching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola

The manhattan project

Both are great Worker placement games with a theme that fit into the game.

Also take a look at Dominant species.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hiya, we've been looking for harder worker placement type games that are ultra thematic also but we like games to be a little more interactive and are kind of hard to find and decided on dungeon petz. We're now deciding whether to take the next step to Kanban: Automotive Revolution which although isn't fantasy, it's certainly seems thematic lol!

What about Forge War?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and we got Yedo which seemed much better than lords of waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaladin Stormblessed
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
A few I have:

Dungeon Petz
Tzolk'in
Caverna
Puerto Rico
Myrmes
Alchemists
Aquasphere (if it counts as worker placement) > I love this game

I really enjoy all of these. My wife likes Tzolk'in the best out of them. I'd recommend the expansion as well.

Edit: Aquasphere is always on sale too. Currently $17.99 at csi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give Fresco a look. Medevial, not Fantasy, but it is worker placement.

If it looks like something you'd want, I'd probably go for the Big Box edition, since it includes all 10 expansions, and assuming the price isn't too insane. (I've always felt the first 3 expansions are required, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all some really good recommendations here lots of thought to go into this

like the look of Yedo, stone age also dungeon petz (bizarrely) amongst all the rest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King Smudger wrote:
Thank you all some really good recommendations here lots of thought to go into this

like the look of Yedo, stone age also dungeon petz (bizarrely) amongst all the rest

You might check some gameplay videos. I know Rahdo does a great runthrough of Dungeon Petz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.