Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The infield hit rule is perhaps the most unusual part of Baseball Heroes.
Quote:
Infield Hit:
A score of 1 or less means that the batter hit the ball badly and it didn’t go very far. If the
batter hit the ball to Right Field then it went straight to the 1st base fielder who runs him out
immediately.
If the batter hit the ball to Centre or Left Field then it goes to the Short Stop fielder. The fielding
player rolls the six sided dice. A 3, 4, 5 or 6 means that the batter is run out before he can get
to 1st base. A 1 or 2 means that the fielding was bad and that the batter runs to 1st base!

I wonder what the intention was behind this rule. It seems strange to me that a ball hit the first baseman (frequently a poor fielder) is an automatic out, while one hit to the shortstop (frequently the best fielder) gives a .333 batting average.

It introduces an asymmetry with the pitch types in the game, since the ball is hit to first base by hitting it off the end of the bat. Swinging for a fastball and getting a cutter instead sends the ball to first, a sure out. On the other hand, swinging as if it's a cutter and finding out it's a fastball will send the ball to short, giving you a pretty good chance to reach safely.

I'm considering a modification that would remove the asymmetry and (I think) incentivize throwing outside the strike zone. It would read something like this:

Quote:
Infield Hit:
A score of 1 or less means that the batter hit the ball badly and it didn’t go very far. If the pitch was outside the strike zone, the result is an automatic out. Otherwise, roll a die. The batter is safe on a 1 or 2, but out on a roll of 3 or higher.

This could be combined with an additional -1 to power for contact made outside the zone. Then pitchers would really want to try and draw swings outside the zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it, if it works then go for it and I'll be happy to make changes to the rules in the name of realism and balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.