Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm looking for board games for a youth space composed of culturally diverse teenagers. Freedom: The underground railroad is definitely on our radar.

Do you have any suggestions for similar games? By similar I mean:
- coop or non-confrontational;
- educational/political/historical theme;
- potential to bring up interesting discussions/debates/thoughts;
- any other suggestions you find could be appropriate!

Thanks

Gably
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ghost Stories" maybe, but not political/educational really. It has some elements of Asian mythology as players are Taoist monks exorcising demons from hell.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37046/ghost-stories

The only other co-op game I own that is even slightly related to your requirements might be the Robinson Crusoe expansion, but that's a big financial commitment and the game is complicated:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144722/robinson-crusoe-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gably wrote:
Hi there,

I'm looking for board games for a youth space composed of culturally diverse teenagers. Freedom: The underground railroad is definitely on our radar.

Do you have any suggestions for similar games? By similar I mean:
- coop or non-confrontational;
- educational/political/historical theme;
- potential to bring up interesting discussions/debates/thoughts;
- any other suggestions you find could be appropriate!

Thanks

Gably

Founding Fathers
Fascinating game about the making of the US Constitution. It's not coop, but I find it really not that confrontational at all. It's very well-researched and nicely produced, and has for example the "alternative" to each act, which could generate discussion and you engage in some "what if" musings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I think there are quite a few Wargames that would fit the bill, although many of them are solitaire and fairly complex so I'm not sure they would have a very wide appeal.

I for sure would look into the Timeline games. They are competitive, but super easy to teach and somewhat educational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
I think there are quite a few Wargames that would fit the bill, although many of them are solitaire and fairly complex so I'm not sure they would have a very wide appeal.

Not to mention way too confrontational for the context the OP is describing! laugh
I think a wargame is the very antonym of "cooperative or non-confrontational"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Can easily be played co-op, and has a relatively new, gorgeous edition out.
It has historical/cultural educational value.
It'd promote discussion not only to the solution of the mystery but also it could be discussed from a historical perspective.

Also, Phil Eklund's games have great educational value.
You could take a look and see if they seem too confrontational or not (I don't find them very confrontational myself).
Most are science or history themed.
For example
High Frontier (near-future space exploration)
Pax Porfiriana (Mexican history late 1800s/early 1900s)
BIOS series which reimplements American Megafauna and covers paleobiology.
Eklund's games are those rare educational games that are also very well-designed and have interesting gameplay and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! Yes, Robinson might be a little too complicated for what I'm looking for. I will have a look at Ghost Story.

pisqueeter wrote:
"Ghost Stories" maybe, but not political/educational really. It has some elements of Asian mythology as players are Taoist monks exorcising demons from hell.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37046/ghost-stories

The only other co-op game I own that is even slightly related to your requirements might be the Robinson Crusoe expansion, but that's a big financial commitment and the game is complicated:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144722/robinson-crusoe-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh thanks, I will have a look at it!

JohnnyDollar wrote:
Founding Fathers
Fascinating game about the making of the US Constitution. It's not coop, but I find it really not that confrontational at all. It's very well-researched and nicely produced, and has for example the "alternative" to each act, which could generate discussion and you engage in some "what if" musings...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wargames are not exactly what I'm looking for at this moment But I will have a look at the Timeline games Thanks

Donkler wrote:

I for sure would look into the Timeline games. They are competitive, but super easy to teach and somewhat educational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK last post then I have to get back to work

There is also the recently released
The Grizzled (plus an expansion)
Which is a cooperative card game about surviving life in the trenches in WWI. It's been described as an "anti-war" game.
The artist lost his life in the Paris attacks last year, it was published posthumously.

You could also check out these two, they might be more confrontational than you want, but might be worth checking out:

Free At Last (set in the Civil Rights Movement in the South)

Primordial Soup (players are amoebas at the origin of life)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Orchestra is a no-brainer. Gameplay is similar to UR in a lot of respects with a dash of Pandemic thrown in. But it's very historically thematic. And, like UR, real characters and events. Great game to boot. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all these suggestions

JohnnyDollar wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Can easily be played co-op, and has a relatively new, gorgeous edition out.
It has historical/cultural educational value.
It'd promote discussion not only to the solution of the mystery but also it could be discussed from a historical perspective.

Also, Phil Eklund's games have great educational value.
You could take a look and see if they seem too confrontational or not (I don't find them very confrontational myself).
Most are science or history themed.
For example
High Frontier (near-future space exploration)
Pax Porfiriana (Mexican history late 1800s/early 1900s)
BIOS series which reimplements American Megafauna and covers paleobiology.
Eklund's games are those rare educational games that are also very well-designed and have interesting gameplay and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh these sounds great, thanks again Have a nice day at work!

JohnnyDollar wrote:
OK last post then I have to get back to work

There is also the recently released
The Grizzled (plus an expansion)
Which is a cooperative card game about surviving life in the trenches in WWI. It's been described as an "anti-war" game.
The artist lost his life in the Paris attacks last year, it was published posthumously.

You could also check out these two, they might be more confrontational than you want, but might be worth checking out:

Free At Last (set in the Civil Rights Movement in the South)

Primordial Soup (players are amoebas at the origin of life)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks I will have a look at it!

JustinDJacobson wrote:
Black Orchestra is a no-brainer. Gameplay is similar to UR in a lot of respects with a dash of Pandemic thrown in. But it's very historically thematic. And, like UR, real characters and events. Great game to boot. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R-Eco or R-Eco Recycle might work.

They're about recycling, but also has elements of illegally dumping trash, which might be good for discussions of ethics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, I will have a look at those!

Colorado_Jeff wrote:
R-Eco or R-Eco Recycle might work.

They're about recycling, but also has elements of illegally dumping trash, which might be good for discussions of ethics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a second for Founding Fathers, although the US history focus might not work well for you.

My add will be World's Fair 1893. Not cooperative, but confrontation is limited to area control, and 2nd place can get something too. In terms of gameplay, cards could simply be colors, but the flavor text/image gives a small history of the Fair exhibit that could prompt further research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course, we will make sure the games are appropriate, relevant to our groups, and culturally sensitive

team_bonnie wrote:
I'll give a second for Founding Fathers, although the US history focus might not work well for you.

Thank you all for your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabrielle
Canada
Montreal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For those who might be interested, I found this game on BGG: AFTERSHOCK: A Humanitarian Crisis Game

It does not have many reviews nor ratings, but I tought I would share it here since it is relevant to this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.