$30.00
Steven Bartels
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I have a concern.

This game is the all be, "highest rated game of all time, currently".
I'm in the June month of playing.
The game feels so much better and has more depth than the regular pandemic series!
However, i'm not sure if i'm getting the right experience out of it. We're playing 2P with two characters each. We played with four people one game and lost bad, but the other two never played pandemic.

Anyways, we're so afraid of harm that we're walking on eggshells and managing to finish games with only 0-2 outbreaks. We're playing only with the strongest characters because the weaker ones will cause more outbreaks or a loss in our opinion. We're (5W-1L).

Thanks all and happy gaming!
Let me know if there's a spoiler in my post...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blum
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Many people have played the way you're playing. The only thing I'd say is that you may that your "strongest characters" will change as the months progress.

We played four characters and didn't suffer our first loss until July, then promptly lost 3 straight. A good record doesn't guarantee anything. You'll find the challenge amps up as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Our team of four did pretty well, and it was May before we suffered a defeat. No spoilers, but we didn't find the game overall too easy.

You should definitely exploit everything you can find to give yourselves an edge, including choosing the best combination of characters each game.

If you're seriously worried the game is far too easy, a final resort is to play with six Epidemics. (You only have five Epidemic cards, but you can fake it by dividing the player cards into six packets, shuffling an Epidemic into each of the first five, stacking them, then once the first Epidemic has happened recycling that Epidemic card by shuffling it into the sixth packet before placing that under the deck. Rob Daviau has officially endorsed this option, and a few people have done it. But you'd better be confident you're really that good. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
I second Clive's opinion. We just finished the campaign with only three losses but I didn't find it too easy, especially in the second half of the year. I was worried about the game being to easy in the first half as well, though.

Just make sure you remember all the rules. At some points we made the game easier by mistake because we overlooked some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therobbot wrote:
I second Clive's opinion. We just finished the campaign with only three losses but I didn't find it too easy, especially in the second half of the year. I was worried about the game being to easy in the first half as well, though.

Just make sure you remember all the rules. At some points we made the game easier by mistake because we overlooked some of them.

I feel like this happened to us to, in April or something I reread the rules and realized we had been playing 2 things incorrectly, one that helped and one that hurt us. I don't remember the specfics but basically we just hoped that they balanced each other out. The game does get more difficult in the second half for sure.

I forgot to mention, we played 4 player and I heard that 2 player is noticeably easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldnt worry about it too much. I had a few moments like this. I had a few games where i, well, there is no other word for it, aced it.

Got all the cures quick. And in one or two managed to eradicate one or two viruses. No outbreaks.

I am playing solo. Controlling three characters.
I also thought it might be the choice of characters. But i switched out one or two... and same outcome.
You sometimes just get those moments where its a mix of drawing the right cards, and you manage to pull of a strategy that works really well.

I am back to my old line-up, and have had some crusbhing defeats. Thats Pandemic for you. Sometimes you are on fire and sometimes its just the world thats burning, with you hopelessly trying to stop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sai
msg tools
Think of it more like setbacks rather than losses. You actually get some decent advantages that offset the loss:

- An extra 2 upgrades for that month
- An extra 2 funding for the next game
- No major legacy changes (if you lose in the beginning of the month)

I've been playing with a mixed group with varying degrees of boardgaming experience and we're maybe 7-5 going into September (don't have my sheet in front of me right now). We even lost 3 in a row at one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.