Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

It will be my fourth game of this tonight. My first three games were with new players so we always played the 3-player preset scenario.

I don't feel like playing it again tonight and would really like to have the Eldar involved for the first time! But again there will be a new player...

Do any of you have preset map that include the Eldars for three player that is fun and balanced? What about for four player?

Or if not, any tips to construct a map that is fun and balanced for everyone? I got a few bad experiences with Runewars, playing 3-4 hours on a dull and unbalanced map!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
After a couple dozen games now, this is the one aspect of the game we hate. Bringing in someone new to play, it puts them at an immediate disavantage. And often folks will make a mistake during board setup and the games that much less interesting.

We just haven't gotten around to making some preset maps, but honestly this should have been done from the start. Just some quick pictures of layouts for 2/3/4 players would have done it. I'm actually surprised no one on BGG has done this yet.

Then the board building aspect can be left to groups of balanced, expert players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grey Fox
Portugal
Sintra
Sintra
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Even if this might sound like a stupid fix. Try placing the tiles for him as a group, and explaining him why that would be best.

Just be fair, and pretend you're placing a tile for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Vranes
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game - only played a few times, but we elected to just use the pre-set map rather than engage in that part of the game.

Is there a decent summary of the tile-placing tactics out there? Anyone know?

Thanks - don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems a pertinent question, at least to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturs Lescinskis
Latvia
flag msg tools
I suggest substituting the three tiles that are placed in 3-player variant with those that come in 4-player variant and give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not use the pre-set map for my first game, as the owner of the game explained to us why it's a bad idea (in short, it keeps everyone cloistered in their own corner of the board instead of mixing everyone up). There wasn't any confusion among us, and only one of us had played before, though we were all reasonably experienced board gamers.

I recommend not using the pre-set board and building the play area as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.