8 Posts

Bohnanza: The Duel» Forums » General

Subject: How is this different than regular Bohnanza rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
I see there are two official variants for regular Bohnanza, how is this version different? Which do you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know which two official variants you mean. I also heard there is a 2p variant for the base game that I don't know. Having said that...

I really dig regular Bohnanza with all sorts of players (any number above 2, casual and hobbyist etc.). The negotiation and trading is just super fun.
That is (obviously) largely missing in Das Duell. That free form of trading is just not intended by the rules.

It is replaced by the clever "gift" concept. (I assume you know the rules. If not, very roughly: During your turn you have to offer your opponent a card as a gift. S/he can deny the gift but has to offer you one instead. This continues until one player accepts the offer.)

So this is your main chance to get your hand management in order. It's also useful to score your own bonus ("Bohnus") cards. (If you haven't heard: There are additional cards that show patterns. If you or your opponent put down bean cards in that pattern, you can score the bonus. So your "gift" may help yourself to score a bonus.)

There's more to it. As I said, this was a very condensed description. These new mechanisms are neat, but different from Bohnanza.

I like Das Duell and am glad there's a 2p version for Bohnanza.

However, I'm not sure yet if Das Duell lacks some tension compared to the base game. There, you always struggle with your hand management and risk to be forced to play a card you don't want to. In Das Duell, there are a lot of ways to mitigate that. A) You've got three fields right from the start. B) You may discard one of the cards drawn during your turn. (Just discard it, no negotiation, less planning.) And C) you can play a lower card onto an existing field.

I discussed this issue in this thread.

And yes, factor C) is also a major change from the base game: You can continue a, say, field of 10-beans with 12-beans. And you can add 14-beans to that. The value of the field decreases accordingly, of course, but it might make sense.

Hope, this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
There is the official rules that came with the base game and then this expansion Al Cabohne. I have not played either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
and then this expansion Al Cabohne. I have not played either.

I have played Al Cabohne. It adds a dummy player, and we didn't like it. Imho Das Duell is the far better 2p variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
TimTix wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:
and then this expansion Al Cabohne. I have not played either.

I have played Al Cabohne. It adds a dummy player, and we didn't like it. Imho Das Duell is the far better 2p variant.

We actually like dummy players. Can we use Al Cabohne with Das Duel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Can we use Al Cabohne with Das Duel?

As far as I can remember, Al Cabohne is a stand-alone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
As far as I can remember, Al Cabohne is a stand-alone game.
It is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The variant in the base game is kind of awful. This is actually a game designed to be 2p only and it largely succeeds in being quite good and challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.