Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that atmospheric pressure at Earth's surface is 14.7 lb/sq.in ...
Earth-like protection from cosmic rays "should" involve 14 pounds of "matter" per square inch.
A 50 foot diameter chamber 100 feet long would require 22,000 tons of material in order to be have its surface covered everywhere.
Now, that is a big number that I derived without using a table napkin, just my head... caveat mathemator!!
Of course, Earthlike protection is a high standard.
(Mars surface atmospheric pressure is like the the air pressure at 100,000 feet on Earth.)
So...radiation [all varieties] is a big problem.
...Ain't nobody gonna put 22,000 tons into orbit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why build it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:
Considering that atmospheric pressure at Earth's surface is 14.7 lb/sq.in ...
Earth-like protection from cosmic rays "should" involve 14 pounds of "matter" per square inch.
A 50 foot diameter chamber 100 feet long would require 22,000 tons of material in order to be have its surface covered everywhere.
Now, that is a big number that I derived without using a table napkin, just my head... caveat mathemator!!
Of course, Earthlike protection is a high standard.
(Mars surface atmospheric pressure is like the the air pressure at 100,000 feet on Earth.)
So...radiation [all varieties] is a big problem.
...Ain't nobody gonna put 22,000 tons into orbit.

The obvious flaws is the above are, as you noted, that Earth level protection is more than you need, and that as most of the things you need to shield against come from the sun, you only need most of your protection on that side. If (big if) you can predict bursts you could only shield part of your spacecraft to full level and shelter there at need. And you might as well use mass you already have, like fuel and water tanks.

The area I can't comment on is the relative effectiveness of mass in the forms of something dense as on a spaceship, or spread out as an atmosphere. Expert knowledge needed there. Or Google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but why do you need to take anything with you to shield yourself from radiation? You do realize that there is an entire planet full of dirt that you could use to just bury yourself in for protection right? All you need is something to move the dirt around with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's all that Mars talk on TV

Sho' 'nuff burial works if Martian dirt doesn't blow away, not being "muddy".
Cosmic rays we are advised come from everywhere... "everywhere above" which is why ya get exposure even on night flight....
Where you do have to take 341 flights in a year to get a nuclear worker's permitted level of exposure.
They're still trying to figure out where cosmic rays come from.
See cosmic ray bursts.
In the "Europa Report" IMDB movie, they use water.
I figure 14.7 pounds per square inch Atmospheric pressure is an approximation of the weight/Density of matter.

50' in diam...a=pir2...r2=625xpi="2000" x2ends=4000
100' long x [piD 170'from above]=17,000'
21,000' X 144 = "3,100,000" inches
3.1 Mill.X14 pounds =42 Mill pounds = 21,000 tons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point! Looks like the Martianauts are gonna get cooked!

No, now wait a minute! Cosmic rays can travel near the speed of light. There energy is measured in Teravolts.
Converted to mass their energy measurements indicate sizable particles.
And, there is the generally recognized "hazard" of exposure in jetliners at 35,000 feet.
Magnetic field or no.
Still a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, you can see cosmic ray trails in your kitchen.
"All" you need is a clear glass bowl, and dry ice and an electric 'ironing' iron. Demonstrations on Youtube.
Ya can strings of bubblets appear and disappear as they cause condensation trails in the heavy vapor of the covered container.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://i.imgur.com/DuSADSO.gif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/13/health/mars-mission-astronaut-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.