Subject: Two Player Mode? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice to play a mission where two ships (operated by 2 players) did a mission together. The question is how.

What are the "pieces" of DSD6?
1. The ship itself
2. The internal threats
3. The external threats
4. The threat deck
5. Orouboros
6. The dice

So we start out with two players playing different ships (or the same ship) side by side. Still fun but not cooperative. So what can we do to add a cooperative element?

1. The easiest thing to do first is to say that each player has his own deck but may fire at the other ship's external threats. There is only 1 Orouboros and the ship that finishes the deck first gets it on his side. The threats only fire at the ship they are attached to. Or we could have Orouboros on both sides.

2. Each player waits on the other at the gather dice step.

3. Each player has their own set of dice.

4. You could keep the internals separate EXCEPT that if you play the Halcyon and AG-8 together you really need the Halcyon to help out on AG-8's internal threats. So I'm leaning toward enabling each ship to attack the other ship's internal threats.

5. Now what do we do if one ship blows up? What if half (rounded down) maximum 2 external threats migrate to the other ship?

Of course from a practical basis we'd need to be able to not mix the decks so maybe it would be better to just draw 2 cards to the other ship?

You could even design a playmat or board with Halcyon and one of the other ships drawn on it with the right ship reversed so all the threats are between the two players but that probably isn't worth it.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Meyer
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it, thematically, as two ships and crews helping each other in battle - so it makes the most sense to just help each other with external threats. However, I see a "transporter" coming into play - where a Commander die could be used to send a crewmember over to the other ship to help with internal threats. The die could either go straight into battle (assigned or reassigned by the new Commander) OR go into the Returned area to be rolled with the other crew on the next turn. After it's served its purpose in that battle, it's transported back to its original ship.

There might be balance issues if it's not tied to the Command die - so you wouldn't be able to just pass all your dice to the other player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might go for a command die but it would have to be an additional use for whatever ship you were using AND I would say that you could ALSO change the face of the die you moved over. Otherwise I don't think it would work. During the recover dice phase you get the die back. These ships have no real dice to spare.

With the above rules even 2 AG-8s could support each other though you're really want at least one Halcyon.

So:
1. Each ship can attack each other's external threats.
2. They each have their own deck and dice
3. They each have their own Orouboros if you are playing that
4. You can spend a command die to change a face and use it on the other ship and you get it back at the end of the turn
5. No "locking" in a borrowed die
6. The lending ship is in more danger of losing for lack of dice with 5 dice for that turn but the other ship's temporary 7 dice makes it less in danger
7. If one ship is destroyed, discard all but 2 dice. Those dice may be rolled by the "dead" player to help the other ship until that ship is destroyed or wins.

What do you think? I'd love Tony to comment on this? Tony are you thinking about two player rules with 2 games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
What do you think? I'd love Tony to comment on this? Tony are you thinking about two player rules with 2 games?

Development of the DSD6 system has moved to a completely new game, one that supports more than 1 player.

There is still a small expansion in works for the Deep Space D-6 that consists of a new threat deck, but after that, most of my design time will be focused on the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Development of the DSD6 system has moved to a completely new game, one that supports more than 1 player.

There is still a small expansion in works for the Deep Space D-6 that consists of a new threat deck, but after that, most of my design time will be focused on the new game.

Is the new game a space game like DSD6? And should I look for a Kickstarter or are you going to publish though a game company?

If it's a space game, you might borrow a couple of things from Carl's borrowing of your game (Star Trek the dice game). I like Developments because it is something to do with dice on the rare turn when you have "caught up" with the threats. And the missions give you some sense that you are trying to do something specific. Yes in DSD6 you're on a mission that ends up as a trap but maybe having to work on the mission too could be fun.

You know it's not like I wanted a two player game and it's only solitaire. I wanted a solitaire game and this one is perfect. But occasionally it would be nice to take it to game night and play with someone else. Most of the time I'm quite happy with solitaire.

When do you think we'll hear about the expansion and the new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes please elaborate on the expansion and or the new game I am all ears

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.