8 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: My thoughts on the game (after a number of PnP playthroughs) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
alan stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, here's some thoughts after a number of playthroughs with a PNP I've hacked together from the resources available on kickstarter and some proxy minis.

The first thing I'd like to point to is something which I haven't seen get enough praise so far, and that is the weakening of the characters as they get damaged. Not only does it make a lot of sense, but it allows for some fantastic cinematic moments. You'll watch your heroes take a beating yet struggle on and keep fighting for your cause, maybe landing a weakened yet lucky last strike against your opponent that wins the day against the odds. Or maybe they just go down in a blaze of glory, fighting to the end.

Next is the combat dice mechanism. Again it extends that cinamtic feel. On one turn you are rolling epic strikes against your foe and the next you are fighting to land some damage, but always based on the decisions you're making with the dice available to you. It's thematic and...what else can I say, it has instantly taken a spot as one of my favourite dice combat mechanisms, it's just fast and easy to manage. Maybe just behind Guild Ball (my favourite dice/card combat)

Finally, the individuality of the units is really strong in the gameplay. I haven't played with Titans yet but the powers and talents of each unit feel very thematic and lend the minis a personality on the board. Zeus' lightning strike is devastating under the right conditions. DO NOT put your units in the same area if you are up against him. Conversely, if you have Zeus on your side, use a hero or monster to throw your opponent's units into the same area together and chuck some lightning in after them with Zeus. Great fun!

MBP creates cinematic water cooler moments in pretty much every play through. You'll be blasting units with ground shaking powers, throwing them around the board and using the board to your advantage (when I saw the Thermopylae map my first thought was 'I can't wait to start chucking my opponents off that cliff'). It all works incredibly well together.

It's a simple game to pick up and play, but as you play you can feel the depth there waiting for you to discover it. I was very much reminded of Hearthstone as I played, it had that same satisfaction of playing a card to the field and watching something cool happen on the board.

And that was a hacked together PnP and some proxy minis. The added theme that will be brought to the table with the large maps and gorgeous minis should only serve to magnify the fun.

I was trying to make an informed decision about backing the game, my pledge is still in place so I think it's pretty clear that I've had a good time testing it out. Just my thoughts. Maybe it'll be of use to some of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful review. Thanks. Now to go back the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Tim. Watching the Leo live right now on Kickstarter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
NotKnwn wrote:
OK, here's some thoughts after a number of playthroughs with a PNP I've hacked together from the resources available on kickstarter and some proxy minis.

The first thing I'd like to point to is something which I haven't seen get enough praise so far, and that is the weakening of the characters as they get damaged. Not only does it make a lot of sense, but it allows for some fantastic cinematic moments. You'll watch your heroes take a beating yet struggle on and keep fighting for your cause, maybe landing a weakened yet lucky last strike against your opponent that wins the day against the odds. Or maybe they just go down in a blaze of glory, fighting to the end.

Next is the combat dice mechanism. Again it extends that cinamtic feel. On one turn you are rolling epic strikes against your foe and the next you are fighting to land some damage, but always based on the decisions you're making with the dice available to you. It's thematic and...what else can I say, it has instantly taken a spot as one of my favourite dice combat mechanisms, it's just fast and easy to manage. Maybe just behind Guild Ball (my favourite dice/card combat)

Finally, the individuality of the units is really strong in the gameplay. I haven't played with Titans yet but the powers and talents of each unit feel very thematic and lend the minis a personality on the board. Zeus' lightning strike is devastating under the right conditions. DO NOT put your units in the same area if you are up against him. Conversely, if you have Zeus on your side, use a hero or monster to throw your opponent's units into the same area together and chuck some lightning in after them with Zeus. Great fun!

MBP creates cinematic water cooler moments in pretty much every play through. You'll be blasting units with ground shaking powers, throwing them around the board and using the board to your advantage (when I saw the Thermopylae map my first thought was 'I can't wait to start chucking my opponents off that cliff'). It all works incredibly well together.

It's a simple game to pick up and play, but as you play you can feel the depth there waiting for you to discover it. I was very much reminded of Hearthstone as I played, it had that same satisfaction of playing a card to the field and watching something cool happen on the board.

And that was a hacked together PnP and some proxy minis. The added theme that will be brought to the table with the large maps and gorgeous minis should only serve to magnify the fun.

I was trying to make an informed decision about backing the game, my pledge is still in place so I think it's pretty clear that I've had a good time testing it out. Just my thoughts. Maybe it'll be of use to some of you.

I was reluctant to keep my pledge but your comparison to Guild Ball sealed the deal. I LOVE the way Guild Ball handles combat. It's brilliant and I have no idea why board games are not copying it. If this game has ANY similarity in regards to making decisions after the roll to Guild Ball, I'm happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The decisions are different here than guild ball, Guild ball would still be my number 1, this is a close second.

In MBP the decisions come with the potential to throw an opponent's unit with blank rolls, add the dice to initial rolls as a +1 or re-roll 5s and add the result. Sounds compicated but in practice it's very effective. Guild ball style talents and powers are activated by cards in MBP rather than dice. It's different but I think you'll like it. You can download the rules from the kickstarter and try it out. Or the guys at Beasts of War have a couple of great videos on youtube running a playthrough of the game and an interview with Leo from Mythic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
NotKnwn wrote:
The decisions are different here than guild ball, Guild ball would still be my number 1, this is a close second.

In MBP the decisions come with the potential to throw an opponent's unit with blank rolls, add the dice to initial rolls as a +1 or re-roll 5s and add the result. Sounds compicated but in practice it's very effective. Guild ball style talents and powers are activated by cards in MBP rather than dice. It's different but I think you'll like it. You can download the rules from the kickstarter and try it out. Or the guys at Beasts of War have a couple of great videos on youtube running a playthrough of the game and an interview with Leo from Mythic.

Yeah, I love that in Guild Ball it's never just 'oh I rolled this many hits, I do this much damage'. You get a choice of doing other things to your opponent. The throw effect in Mythic does seem to mimic that and I appreciate that option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting to read. My vibe on the combat from watching the available videos was that it kind of boiled down to a big scrum once units get committed to battle.

In your experience is there much tactically going on once you are stuck in, or is it just each side swinging back and forth until someone is slain or someone gets thrown to a neighboring zone to get pounded on some more?

Have you ever tried a strategy of purely trying to capture the omphaloi? I don't think I've seen any video plays where someone gets more than 1. Or what about focusing on mobility and ranged damage?

I'll admit to not being super excited about the 'worsening stats as you take damage' mechanism. In similar systems like HeroClix I had found that once each unit takes a hit (or maybe two on the highest tier bruisers) everyone turned into same-y average units. I guess it wouldn't be as severe in this game because you still keep your special abilities as you get hit, it's just your raw stats that decrease.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to write all of this up! It doesn't help my fence-sitting status but I think that's more down to me deciding whether I need another 1v1 minis/skirmish game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan stewart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks John, in all of the early plays (probably three in a row) the winner absorbed the omphalos to win, but we were trying to achieve that specifically and as it turned out, it worked. Then we went full riot mode lol, tried to win by killing the opposing God. Again it was just as viable a strategy. Then in the following games, maybe around five or six games, the winner was split between the two strategies, I can't remember by how much of a percentage but Killing the God won the game more often than absorbing the omphalos.

I didn't get that feeling of rushing to a spot and everyone getting stuck in, I really don't like that in skirmish games, it's why i like Guild Ball so much. I think what prevents it happening too often in MBP is the card driven activations and the resource of art of war cards being drawn and spent from your deck in order to pull off the powers etc, and as you're drafting units at the start of the game you're trying to pick possible combos, so you will be trying to set those up as well as the game plays out. The strategy is in the timing of attacks, positioning of units and management of your hand. Then possibly watching all your best plans fall apart lol.

There would certainly be times when a couple of units seem to have all there activation cards in play and exchange blows for a few turns but it becomes hilarious as your opponant draws yet another activation for that unit, then out of nowhere, you do the same. It creates more of a funny exchange as you know you're both getting lucky and it can't last forever, so your rolls are ever more crucial.

I haven't played HeroClix and to be honest, this is the first game I've really found it in were weakening stats stood out to me as being a great mechanism. I get what you're saying though, maybe that could happen and the Gods or Titans become less fun on the battlefield, I didn't experience that in the games I played but I get what you mean. I'll look out for it in future games as a possiblity. As you say, the powers etc are probably the thing that stops it from being to much of an issue but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.