14 Posts

The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chemical Spill Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LCG 74160
msg tools
mb
What happens for a player if he has no row with (at least) two unpolluted spaces?

Does he discard the pollution token(s) he cannot place? Or place them in other row(s)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're instructed to place pollution in a specific row and you have no room left to place it, toss the pollution in the box and count your lucky stars (that is if you can still see them).

An old version of the game used to allow you to pass the pollution on to your neighbors, but we removed as much take-that from the game as we could to set it apart from the original MP game.

With that said, the specific card you mention says to find a row that has 2 free and use it. If you have no such row (eg only 1 or 0 spaces free in each row) then you don't have to take the pollution at all (per Luke).

You are right though, it's wording can lead to some questions. Have to make note of this one for the FAQ.

James

EDIT: Was slightly wrong in my interpretation of the card, you can skip the pollution altogether if you don't have 2 open on 1 row. Fixed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ross
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
An old version of the game used to allow you to pass the pollution on to your neighbors, but we removed as much take-that from the game as we could to set it apart from the original MP game.

This sounds like a really cool mechanic though! Makes thematic sense while also providing an alternate strategy to those who don't want to focus on their environment board. It also doesn't seem as nasty (on the surface) as the 'take that' fighter/bomber mechanics in the original MP.

I think it'd be really fun to try this as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
varneysa wrote:
RPGShop wrote:

This sounds like a really cool mechanic though! Makes thematic sense while also providing an alternate strategy to those who don't want to focus on their environment board. It also doesn't seem as nasty (on the surface) as the 'take that' fighter/bomber mechanics in the original MP.

Maybe it'll work itself back in on an expansion.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
varneysa wrote:
RPGShop wrote:

Go ahead and try as a variant. However, it is REALLY mean spirited and out of place in this game where there is no other take-that type of actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to the original question - it sounds like there was a player who had polluted the heck out of their environment, and didn't have two empty spaces in any row of their environment.

Because the wording of the card is "chooses one row of their environment with sufficient space," a player without a row with 2 empty spaces would not gain any pollution.

Thematically, their environment is so utterly destroyed that the spilled oil had no measurable impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan George

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so if a player only had one empty space they still don't pollute? That doesn't seem fair or very thematic at all... With respect, I'll play the way you are suggesting...but I will probably revert back to my original interpretation: pick a row to pollute twice, so if you had full pollution, or only one space, fill any free space with regular pollution and then turn whats left to nuclear waste....goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
varneysa wrote:
This sounds like a really cool mechanic though!

It was. Pout pout pout.

Also the column based end game points for clean columns are in the wrong order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
This card says to take tokens from "the supply". Is that the Global Inpact track or the general supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The supply is all the bits, etc. not on the board. i.e. the stockpiles. It is not the Global Impact Track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Callahan
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ARE THE Column bonuses in the wrong order? I would have thought 3-2-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're in the right order. Keep in mind, you are not required to place your pollution in any specific column. That's your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have to open spaces on 2 of my rows, byt only one open spaces on my 3rd. can I then choose the 3rd row, and effectly not take any pollution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor, you cannot choose your 3rd row. You must choose a row with "sufficient space"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.