Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems at the moment that the only official way to draft units is to have everything available, and let players go to town. Even with the God level pledge, we have a crazy number of units, so that doesn't seem like the best option to me.

That's why I LOVE that Monolith has added the recruitment cards to every pledge. It opens up the draft to tons of variants.

How I think I'll play at the moment is randomly drawing cards from each type, basically bringing the numbers available to about what they would be if I owned only the base game.

I'm thinking (P=number of players):
God/Titans = P+1
Hero/Monster/Troop = P+3 each

So for 2 players we'd have 3 god/titans, 5 heroes, 5 monsters, and 5 troops.

Positives are that players will have to experiment with more units, and with more diverse strategies. You might never use a character like Sisyphus without a draft method like this.

Negatives are that you will have less of a coherent strategy for your side. You'll never get an all flying team, or an all fast-moving team. But to be fair, you wouldn't have those sorts of teams anyway, due to counter-drafting by your opponents.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably do some "random" drafts like you describe. I may put together some "theme" sets and draft from that.

What I'm really hoping is that Mythic Games will put out some official recommended draft line ups, designed to take advantage of combos etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Davis
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the gods are the backbone of the army I'd try P+2 or even P+3. You'll need to be able to make some synergy with the random draws, and I think that'd be easier with more gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CloudBuilder wrote:
Since the gods are the backbone of the army I'd try P+2 or even P+3. You'll need to be able to make some synergy with the random draws, and I think that'd be easier with more gods.

That's a fair point. None of the Gods seem horribly under-balanced from what I've seen, and the only reason to have only 3 gods would be to force harder choices.

Maybe just P+2 for everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
I think when playing the first game I will stay with the basegame stuff + just a few others that I really like.

I think I'd add +2 options for each category. That way not too much is added straight away, but I'd still get to play with other stuff than what has been shown in all the previews.

After the first game I'd probably ask the other players what they want. I usually play board games with just my cousin. If he'd want to draft from everything then I'll go with that.

Heck the first time we play I probably would put everything on display to show off this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how good the balance between the units will be, a random draw can screw up the game and give one player an advantage when there is an uneven number of good units.

In the beginning i will only play with the units from the base game. When i have a better feeling for the game i would add/remove units from the draft pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure yet.

What I am going to do when I get the game is pre-selecting 6 Gods/titans, 10 heroes, 10 monsters and 10 troops and start playing until we have the feeling we understand them and how they work.
As a reference: the core box has 4 Gods/titans, 5 heroes, 4 monsters and 6 troops, so it's almost double that.

Then we may either add a few of everything or just pick a new set with new units. Not sure yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Find some folks to play it first and then see what they want to do. I hope.. buy/provide it and they will come approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.