Subject: [WIP] THAT'S AN ORDER! A very simple wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
THAT'S AN ORDER! is a very simple 2 player wargame that takes 20-30 minutes to play. It involves no dice, has simple combat and a unique hidden order mechanic for commanding your troops.

This is it. The armies have been drawn up and face each other expectantly on the field. Your officers stand nervously before you. ‘Send your cavalry east into the forest. When you see hear the clarion call, charge into their flank, and pull back after five minutes,’ you say to your captain of Cavalry. He gives you a blank look and starts stammering. You just can’t find good help these days, you think to yourself. Despite all of your officers being idiots, your troops are extremely obediently. So be it. You’ll just have to command the entire army yourself.

(The start of a match)

You are a General, and you are responsible for commanding your army. Unfortunately, generals aren’t omniscient or telepathic, as some other strategy games might imply, so you can’t instantly tell your troops what to do. Instead, you must rely on your brave Messengers to physically carry your orders to specific units. It takes longer to send Messengers to units that are far away from your General, introducing an input lag that forces you to think strategically about not just the present, but also the future. For example, performing a flanking maneuver requires you to send a Messenger to follow your light cavalry as they charge up the flank, with orders that tell them to turn at the opportune moment.

(The battle is heated, with many units having been routed (denoted by yellow tokens))

Your units are extremely obedient, but also very stupid. They only do what you tell them to do, and will continue executing those orders until you tell them to do otherwise. For example, a unit will keep walking forward until you tell it to change direction or halt. Since you only have so many Messengers, you’ll have to issue orders carefully.
THAT’S AN ORDER! is a wargame with no dice. This means the combat is fast and simple, and won't get bogged down with excessive unit statistics or table look-ups. Units are square pieces with coloured Borders on the edges they are capable of fighting on. If a coloured Border ever touches an unprotected edge of an enemy unit, that enemy is routed. This means combat is all about movement, orientation, and flanking.

(Two messengers, each carrying different orders. These orders are hidden from your opponent)

Key points of the rules:
- Units continue moving in the direction they're facing until you tell them to stop
- Units are always facing 1 of the 4 cardinal directions (North, south, etc)
- Units are capable of fighting on any coloured edge of their square
- A unit is routed (runs away) if an enemy's coloured edge touches a non-coloured edge of that unit
- Messengers are physical pieces who move about the board, and can deliver the order they're carrying to a friendly unit
- You have a limited number of Messengers, making each Order you send out very important

(Two hoplites fighting eachother. Coloured bordersshow which edge the unit can fight on. When two opposing coloured borders are touching, the units are fighting, but are equally match, meaning nothing happens)

(The blue Hoplite has a coloured border touching a non-coloured edge of the red Hoplite. The red Hoplite does not have a coloured border on that edge, meaning it cannot fight. It will immediately Route (run away), pictured below)

Hi BGG. I've been a lurker on these forums for a while, so it's about time I contribute something to them. I've been working on this game for the past few months, and I think it has promise.

This game was partly inspired by the Total War games. It is completely focused on troop movement, flanking and giving orders.

I'd love to hear some feedback. My art is very very rough, but I plan on getting better art soon. If there's interest, I may post the game as a print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Babcan
Slovakia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hey, this looks interesting...you´re right that it´s rough, but you need to see under the surface and I like your idea with messengers and the style of movement of the troops..
looks, like you are bringing back the armies of old Greece and the Mediterranean Sea, at least from what I could read and deduct from the tiles on your pics...
how will the different units fight? what will be the difference between archers and pikes for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
I really like the old Greece & Rome setting (I play a lot of Rome: Total War), and that's sort of theme, though it could really be set in any time period before muskets.

What differentiates the units is what edges of their tile they can fight on (front, left or right, denoted by coloured borders), and if those specific borders have any weaknesses.

Pictured above is a Levy. It has a blue border on the front, meaning it can fight enemies from that direction, but also has a purple arrow denoting that the border/edge/direction is still weak to ranged attacks.

Most units fight in melee (with coloured borders that touch), whilst others (like archers or skirmishers) can fire at range, although ranged attacks work slightly differently than melee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.