BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game with good solitaire and 2-player play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carle Gaier
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
For an advanced 11 year old who's tastes in mechanics and theme pretty much run the gamut. The only restriction I would say is please no modern war-themed games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had similar questions a while back, & someone recommended Archipelago. So after doing some research, I decided to take the plunge & am absolutely loving it. The only caveat is that for the solo play, you need to buy a small expansion to allow it. I own this, but haven't tried it yet.

The game looks complex as there's a lot going off, but once you've played a few rounds it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of ideas:

Mage Knight Board Game
It's generally regarded as the best solo game out there. It's also very playable with 2 players in co-op or competitive mode. The game has a pretty steep learning curve, but rewards the player(s) with extraordinary game play.

A solo game will run 90-120 minutes. A 2 player game can last 2.5 to 3 hours easy.

If you go this route, I highly recommend you watch the Ricky Royal videos on how to play.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
If he likes the LotR story then this is a great game. This is not a collectable card game (like Magic: The Gathering), but rather is a living card game where you know exactly what you're getting in the box.

This one has a shorter play time than than Mage Knight (as do a lot of games) and relies on the players to design/build decks to beat scenarios with different victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a great coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
NevoGamer wrote:

I love both of these games... but for an 11 year old? Seems like it'd be a bit much.

I'd recommend Freedom: The Underground Railroad. It's an excellent solo/coop game with a historical theme. It's really a superb game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to suggest the Princess and the Goblin. I would stick to the advanced game for a child of that age. The solitaire version is good too. Trim some sleeves to make sure the tiles do not get marked, as they get mixed a lot in the solo game.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

I love both of these games... but for an 11 year old? Seems like it'd be a bit much.

Well she did say "advanced" and he's only going to get older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad is an excellent suggestion.

Two solo (edit: which also support multiplayer and are very good with 2) games that I really enjoy and play well with 2 are:
Snowdonia - a worker placement game where you are excavations a mountain and building stations and tracks up it. What makes it terrific is a weather mechanism that affects your ability to perform work and a competitor company that also excavates and builds.

Glass Road - a Uwe Rosenberg game with a neat production mechanic.

Another one that I really enjoy is Lewis & Clark. It is a terrific game combining worker placement and deckbuilfing and rewards careful hand and resource management. Beautiful art and amazing theme. Every card in the game represents someone who aided the Corps of Discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NevoGamer wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

Well she did say "advanced" and he's only going to get older.

One of my friends has a 10 year old girl who I think would pick up Mage Knight faster than her parents (we haven't played that one yet, but she keeps surprising me again and again), but it is worth noting that the game tends to be considered complex even for seasoned adult gamers, so I think this is a fair warning.

For what it's worth, I agree with the general sentiment that this is the best soloable game available, but even after 15-20 plays, it still tends to take me 10-15 minutes to figure out the best way to take the biggest city because of how the interaction works between splitting your damage cards across monster groups that share each others' resistances (if you play the game and don't think it's hard, these are the specific rules you're screwing up). OP can use that as a gauge for whether or not this is the right game to choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Wizard games makes some great two player and solo games. They are quick and have challenging decision making right from the start while still being enjoyable.

Star Realms, Hero Realms and EPIC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is a good two-player game. I cannot think of why I would play it solo instead of playing the app, though.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic with or without expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.