5 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » General

Subject: News Reporter - when is this useful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tuska Daemonkilla
msg tools
Hi all,

I may be missing something, but I'm struggling to think of many situations where the News Reporter's ability (when you rescue them, draw a card) is useful. As I understand it, the point in the turn at which you'd normally rescue a bystander (by defeating a villain) is after the opportunity to play cards, and before you discard your hand. This means that when I rescue these bystanders it's too late to play the card I'm rewarded with, and I have to chuck it away pretty much straight away.

I'm aware that there are cards that have you rescue bystanders outside of this sequence (e.g. Black Widow and Storm have abilities that let you rescue bystanders when you play the relevant cards). Are these cards (and cards like them) the only way to benefit from the News Reporter's ability? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemonkilla wrote:
Hi all,

I may be missing something, but I'm struggling to think of many situations where the News Reporter's ability (when you rescue them, draw a card) is useful. As I understand it, the point in the turn at which you'd normally rescue a bystander (by defeating a villain) is after the opportunity to play cards, and before you discard your hand. This means that when I rescue these bystanders it's too late to play the card I'm rewarded with, and I have to chuck it away pretty much straight away.

I'm aware that there are cards that have you rescue bystanders outside of this sequence (e.g. Black Widow and Storm have abilities that let you rescue bystanders when you play the relevant cards). Are these cards (and cards like them) the only way to benefit from the News Reporter's ability? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

You can still play cards after fighting a villain or recruiting a hero. There is no set sequence for your turn. You might usually play all your cards before fighting and recruiting but you are not required to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Daemonkilla wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

You can still play cards after fighting a villain or recruiting a hero. There is no set sequence for your turn. You might usually play all your cards before fighting and recruiting but you are not required to do so.

If you had to play all of your cards first, then you could never fight Squirrel Girl ("You can't fight Squirrel Girl if you've played more than one card this turn.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuska Daemonkilla
msg tools
Thanks for that - I was confused by the Turn Order printed on the board, but your reply (and a re-read of the rules) has cleared that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Brophy
msg tools
The time when they are the most useful would be when you are a couple of points off from being able to fight or recruit something else. Your points that haven't been used are still "live".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.