Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Euringer
Germany
Scheyern
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, especially the unique idea of the mechanism to distribute resources with the earning cards.
Unfortunately we noticed that usually it’s too unlikely for my taste that the Fomori will win the game and hence experienced players usually choose the first row of the earning cards (sometimes second, never third), which makes this part of the game a little dull /uninteresting.
At the same time the concept of getting corrupted felt a little unthematic for the likes of our playing group, as there is no real penalty for being corrupted (as long as the fomori don't win) – and you still try your best to fight the Fomori and keep them from winnig even after you “got corrupted and switched sides”

Here’s my variant to make this more interesting (in my opinion):

Preparation:
Remove all 3 Earning Cards with zero Fomori from the game. (That are the Cards that don’t have a Fomori Symbol on it)
Even Harder Variant: If you want to make it even harder for the humans remove additionally 3 of the 1 Fomori Cards too (That are the cards that only have a 1-Fomori Symbol in the Top row, take one from each type)

Rule Clarification:
One Rule wasn’t as clear as it could be in the rules but in my opinion it’s important to rule that Balor’s Isle is no Provice – so there is no possibility for a distant Attack on Balor’s Castle – you have to be exactly adjacent to a castle to be able to attack it.

Changed Rules:
If a player ever reaches the corruption limit, he’s from then on until the End of the game NOT allowed to use swords to repel the Fomori

Even Harder Variant

If a player ever reaches the corruption limit, he’s from then on until the End of the game additionally NOT allowed to place a building disc in an unoccupied Location. He can still use building discs to extend existing fortifications to upgrade it to a Broch or Caer.

That way it can get really painful for the player to reach the corruption limit and now you really have a tough choice which row of the earning card you choose. And if a player gets corrupted it gets much more likely that the Fomori win.

We only playtested this with full 4 players. I'd suggest not to use the even harder variant with 3 or less players.

Please tell me how you like the game with this variant and whether you also think it’s more thematic that way.

On a side note: There are 2 other house rules we are using, but they are not necessary for the purpose of the variant, use them if you like:

- When making a distance attack against a fomori you have to have a cleared path to that fomori (You cannot attack a fomori if you cannot reach him without bypassing another fomori)
- You have to announce the use of the Tactic Tile “Ogam’s wisdom” (to move the blocker after revealing the earning cards) before you flip the first earning Card

Don't get me wrong - The game works pretty well as it is and i really liked playing it as ruled, but i like to have tougher choices in the earning phase, more tension about whether the Fomori or humans will win and a more thematic impact of being corrupted.

*Edited for typos and to make some things more clear*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kocur
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!devil Will give it a try my next run. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet gotten this to the table, and I hate to start using variants before I've even seen how the game-as-published works. Nevertheless, having read the rules, and your reasons for the variant, it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that I'll quickly adopt this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your ideas, especially removing the cards with no Fomori on them (however, I only found 3 of those in my copy of the game, not 6).

I've also had a related idea for making corruption more dangerous, for which I started another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Rothschuh
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen this thread?

We did this wrong, and this would change the odds significantly in favor of the Fomori.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Euringer
Germany
Scheyern
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, i got confused while writing the variant.
We removed 6 Cards (3 with 0 Fomori and 3 with 1 Fomori). I'll correct that by clearly dividing between normal variant and "hard mode" :-)

Thank you for correcting this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Euringer
Germany
Scheyern
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have seen the thread, we played that correctly.
But I have to say that we always played 4 Player games - i guess it's more likely to end with corruption victory with 2 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.