Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Morgret
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I played a 7 player game of 1822 yesterday evening and the train rush was rather rough, I had to take large loans twice and four other players had to take them. One of the remaining three had to buy out of hand once, and didn't have to take a loan, but his company, the LNWR, which is normally the best in the game ended up lackluster. I've particularly had trouble with the L trains in two games now. I started M18 in SR2, and it has to either start running for $15/$15 on its third OR laying track to the town to the west, or go north and spend $40 laying track. So it will pass $80 on its fourth OR. But on OR5 M7 was started at $90 per share and bought a 3, rusting my L. If the player who started it had had a little more money in the prior SR, he could have started it at $100 and hurt some other companies.
Is this the experience other people have had, that there is very little margin with the L trains? About half of the companies on the board are hampered with track charges or undesirable locations, so I'm thinking about, in high player count games, bidding up the decent minors, and, if outbid, ignoring minors entirely.
Unfortunately, I do not remember how many SRs were in the game in total, but it seemed pretty fast overall, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played 7, and wouldn't want to. That said, regardless of the number of players, I wouldn't touch a minor that can't buy a 2 train by round 4 since the #23 always starts and can buy a 2 on OR3.

In the last few games I've played, there has been a rush of majors starting on OR4 and someone buys a 3 near the end of OR4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've only played it twice, and neither particularly well, but I found the 2 trains took forever to get through and then there was a bit of a rush after the 4Ts came out. I'm used to playing '57, so anything by comparison seems not as bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Mesa wrote:
I've only played it twice, and neither particularly well, but I found the 2 trains took forever to get through and then there was a bit of a rush after the 4Ts came out. I'm used to playing '57, so anything by comparison seems not as bad.

I really dislike the 4 trains in 1822. The 3s and 4s tend to rust in the same OR, making the 3s a far better purchase than the 4s. If things work out well the 4s may last one extra OR, but since the 7s rust 4s and there are only three 6 trains, the 7 shows up really soon after the first 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'22 doesn't so much have a train rush, but a ledge that you'll either traverse or fall so hard, there's no climbing back into the game. The ledge is almost always calculable, and avoidable.

Like Shawn wrote, pay attention to how many ORs it will take for minors to upgrade to a 2T, because it can be disastrous to throw out LT after a 3T is purchased, leaving your company train-less, and requiring a force purchase. That's generally speaking. Tactical trainlessness is good if you were planning on such a thing; we'll often buy a 2T from a minor into a major, leaving the minor train-less so that it can secure a desirable 3T.

How many trains will be exported after each SR, and then how many purchased during ORs can be calculated to a great degree of accuracy. How much minors will run for is calculable too. In this way, it's pretty clear if a minor company will be able to upgrade it's LT.

Starting majors early enough that they can absorb minors before the 4Ts is important. Start those majors early! The Seattle group likes to start majors late in an SR, after money has been committed, leaving opponents without funds to buy shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Morgret
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One monkey wrench in the game was that the player who had the first opportunity to upgrade to a 2 train delayed it for a round (there was only one such company of the four available in SR1 that could upgrade in OR3). The most experienced 18xxer said that that is what caused the train rush. I believe the OR my L train rushed was the first one that majors could operate, meaning minors with L's at least could not be saved by a major. It seems delaying could be a good move to knock out other players. I did not start my major at that time, I blew to much money on a 2P private. I have been adjusting those privates' values down and down again for high player count games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan's right. It was a brutal game.

The player who could have upgraded his L first had Minor 24, running from Swansea to Oystermouth. He had the concession for NER, and no track lays done near him. Upgrading to a 2 would have not benefited him at all. It would have benefited a lot of other players ready to start their Majors the next Stock Round.

I think however the turn the Sixes were up was rather more important in the end. At that point a lot of majors had started, but there were still minors around. There were was one Three in the public pool (mine, if I remember correctly, because the five reduced the number of trains the majors could have). The minors up for bid in the stock round were 17, ?, 1, and ?.

Since I had LBSCR (one Four, one Three) and was built to the English Channel the 17 seemed like a possible investment to build up my stations for a E train, so I was talking it up. The player with LWNR (who had won the week before by the way) bid on Minor 1 because the north was pretty well set up. His intention he said was to buy over a three train from LWNR, expecting that I would bid on Minor 17 and buy over my three train from LBSCR.

But I didn't do that once he bid on the Minor 1. I sold my SWR certificate, bought another LBSCR (it had been jumping two steps for three ORs and was pretty expensive by then).

So the 17 wasn't bought. The first Six was killed, the Three in the pool rusted. All the threes in the companies rusted. When LBSCR ran with its Four there was enough money (and room) in the company to buy a Seven, available because there had only been two Sixes, which killed all the Fours.

This may not have been the best strategy (if you can call it a strategy) because I only came in fourth. Then again the player with LWNR came in fifth.

If I had bought the Minor 17, and no one had bought a Six in at least the first OR of that turn (a lot of Majors were train tight), the game might have run long enough that I could built up the LBSCR enough that I could run an E to enough stations that it was better than running a Seven. My seven run was pretty good in the end though, with the Channel up to Grey, stationed by LBSCR, GWR and MR (he had the English Channel private).

Dan didn't mention, but he had GWR. By the time he got it to his destination the other players had done a pretty good job of cutting off the midlands with walls of hate at Birmingham and Gloucester.

The Majors in play at the end were:

MR
LBSCR
L&YR
GWR
LWNR with Minor 1.
NER
SWR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Anderson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sfox wrote:
I've never played 7, and wouldn't want to. That said, regardless of the number of players, I wouldn't touch a minor that can't buy a 2 train by round 4 since the #23 always starts and can buy a 2 on OR3.

In the last few games I've played, there has been a rush of majors starting on OR4 and someone buys a 3 near the end of OR4.

The M23 does not always start. The M24 always starts. This means the first 2T will be upgraded in either OR2 or OR3.

An average game in my experience has 4 2Ts leave in SR1, 4-5 in SR2, and 5 in SR3 and 5 in SR4. This leaves 3-4 2Ts. If 4-5 players start a major, then destruction ensues for unprepared minors. However, the more late minors in the game, the less likely in is for this many majors to start, so not very many people get whacked usually in games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction: LWNR had Minor 10 in play at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.