Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have tons of ships from other games and I grabbed the pdf of the rule book from their web site. Before I invest in yet another space game I'd like to try it out first

My question...

What are the sizes of the bases?

If there are any other sizes or things I should know please feel free to tell me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I can't tell you off the top of my hat what sies the bases are, so I looked it up myself . There are three differnet sizes now, or maybe only two, depending how the game with progres sin the future.

There are the large bases (60mm x 60mm) with two (or even three) flight pegs used for the Tier 1 ships (battleships etc.)

There are the medium bases (40mm x 40mm) with a snle flight peg used for the Tier 2 and most Tier 3 ships (cruisiers, destroyers, frigates)

And then there are small bases (no idea how large those are at the moment - maybe 25mm x 25mm?) which were released with the Firestorm Taskforce starter sets (and probably the reinforcement boxes for Armada) and are used for some Tier 3 ships (light frigates).

All the bases are squared and have a cross etched into them, making it easier to identify the firing arcs and can be used for the turning).

BUT:
I would not recommend getting those bases as they totally suck. The game is great and the models are stellar, but the bases ... shakeshakeshakeshake

FFG and Ares games for instances offer really nice bases where the flight peg easily fits into the holes on the base and the model. Heck, even Wizkids has good bases for their Attack Wing games.

But Spartan went the route of selling plain acrylic rods and plain round holes in the models and the bases. Almost always the flight peg will not fit into the base - not until you have made the hole larger by a good margin. And while the flight pegs fit ok into most models, the holes on some models are just not deep enough (e.g. the Aquan corvettes and destroyers) so that the models will wobble around wildly on the pegs and tend to fall off.

This is an oversight and there is no excuse for this. It is highly frustrating. In 2016, Spartan needs to do better than this.

Many gamers ditch the Spartan bases completly and rather use more elaborate (but expensive) solutions like the one offered by Corsec.
Or you could use Hawk widgets which supposedly work well as well.

I got myself some Corsec bases which are excellent, but the nut ends look a bit too large on the smaller models, so I will only use them for Tier 2 and 3 models.

I hope that helps.
Have fun with the game,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.