Hide
7 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Keating
msg tools
Playing my first solo game to get a handle on it before bringing it to my group. A few confusions have arisen.

1) I know the investigators may be played in any order each turn but does a single investigator need to resolve both of their actions before the next investigator goes or can players go back and forth? (i.e. Player A attacks a monster but doesnt kill it so Player B then attacks the monster and kills it leaving player A an action to then move or would player A need to attack twice before Player B could do anything.)

2) Horror checks. The laugauge goes some thing like "...suffer 2 horror (Will negates)..." does this mean to make a Will check and each success negates one of the horrors (i.e. Suffer 2, Will check has one success, therefore you only take one horror) or does a single success in the check negate the entire penalty? I've been playing the first way because of laguage that says things like "suffer 3 horror... if you take at least 2 horror somthing else bad happens".

3) Related question 2, does "(Will+1 negates)" mean roll an extra die or does it mean you need to roll two successes to removes one horror in the penalty?

4) Do doors always close behind you after you go through them? This question specifcally relates to range for horror checks since the rules say doors block range. Are the always considered closed?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Each investigator must finish their turn before the next investigator starts theirs.

2- Each star allows you to negate one card, i.e. if you have to take 3 horror and roll 2 stars you still take one horror (note: all cards are taken face-up unless specifically told otherwise).

3 - Extra die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killbasa wrote:
Playing my first solo game to get a handle on it before bringing it to my group. A few confusions have arisen.

1) I know the investigators may be played in any order each turn but does a single investigator need to resolve both of their actions before the next investigator goes or can players go back and forth? (i.e. Player A attacks a monster but doesnt kill it so Player B then attacks the monster and kills it leaving player A an action to then move or would player A need to attack twice before Player B could do anything.)

2) Horror checks. The laugauge goes some thing like "...suffer 2 horror (Will negates)..." does this mean to make a Will check and each success negates one of the horrors (i.e. Suffer 2, Will check has one success, therefore you only take one horror) or does a single success in the check negate the entire penalty? I've been playing the first way because of laguage that says things like "suffer 3 horror... if you take at least 2 horror somthing else bad happens".

3) Related question 2, does "(Will+1 negates)" mean roll an extra die or does it mean you need to roll two successes to removes one horror in the penalty?

4) Do doors always close behind you after you go through them? This question specifcally relates to range for horror checks since the rules say doors block range. Are the always considered closed?

Thanks

4) Doors are never open (or closed technically for that matter). They simply always block range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killbasa wrote:

Thanks

1) The rules state that each investigator takes up to two actions and then the next investigator takes his turn. This would make interleaving of turns against the rules.

2) You have it correct, each success reduces the damage/horror by one.

3) (Will+1 negates) means roll an extra die. Each success removes one penalty.

4) Doors are always considered closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant rules quotes that show these answers to be correct:

1:
RRG - Investigator Phase wrote:
• During the investigator phase, the investigators each take one turn
in the order of their choice.
• During an investigator’s turn, that investigator performs up to
two actions.
• After all investigators have taken a turn, one of them presses the
end phase button in the bottom-right corner of the app to end
the investigator phase and proceed to the mythos phase.

2:
RRG - Negates wrote:
A test declaration that includes the word “negates” following the skill
icon indicates that the test prevents Damage or Horror.
• For each success result rolled, the investigator prevents one
Damage or one Horror, his choice.

3:
RRG - Test wrote:
Determine Dice Pool: The investigator determines the number of
dice he will roll. This number is his dice pool.
• He starts with the printed value of the skill being tested.
• He adds or subtracts the test modifier. A test modifier is a
number that follows the skill icon in the effect’s text preceded
by a plus sign (+) or a minus sign (–).

4: This one is proved by the lack of any rules quotes. Nothing in the entry on doors suggests they have a closed or open state. Hence, they don't. You don't need to try to read between the lines for the rules of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Keating
msg tools
Thanks. That is all they way i've been playing, just wanted to make sure.

One more question...

Do status cards of like types stack? If an investigator is dazed and receieves an instruction to become dazed, do they take a second card? I assume they do and would then be dazed for two turns instead of one (discarding one card per turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killbasa wrote:
Do status cards of like types stack? If an investigator is dazed and receieves an instruction to become dazed, do they take a second card? I assume they do and would then be dazed for two turns instead of one (discarding one card per turn).

Let's look up the Conditions entry of the RRG:

RRG - Conditions wrote:
• An investigator cannot gain multiple copies of the same
Condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.