Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Before I ask the question I'll go ahead and state that I'm new to the system so you can set your response(s) to newb.

Regarding power useage... Suppose I had a size 5 ship, the Human Scout for instance. With three engines and with power loss of 1 each for helm, shields, and gun each round, I'm wondering how long it will take to have shields or guns at a decent level. I don't recall reading this specifically in the rules but I guess that once pumped (the only way I can see to get extra power from round to round), the power levels carry over from one round to the next, except for that 1 unit drain mentioned earlier.

Also, if my assumption is correct in that "excess" power carries over round to round, do you always lose 1 per system at rounds end? In other words, What if my gun has a power of two when I fire it... I lose one power to the discharge but do I also lose one to the end of round?

And on a related note to that question, I'm unclear if you always lose just one power unit when firing a cannon or if you'd lose an amount equal to the level at which you fire (and thus the number of rolled dice).

I've probably mangled the rules all up in these questions so any clarification would be most helpful.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
-Cannons and Missles drain one power from Guns for each use.
-At the start of each round, each Engine produces one power in a cyclical order of Helm, Guns, Shields.
-At the end of each round, you must reduce the power of Helm, Guns, and Shields by one.

The secret to power is in two Engineer abilities:

1) Pump Engines: allows the Engineer to add 1 OR MORE power to ANY system, up to their ship size, for each Pump Engines success roll. More power creates more difficulty.

2) Transfer Power: allows the Engineer to transfter 1 OR MORE power from one system to another, up to ship size. More power transfered creates more difficulty.

As you can see, you get nowhere without a good Engineer: with one, you can do just about anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paratrewpr wrote:

Also, if my assumption is correct in that "excess" power carries over round to round, do you always lose 1 per system at rounds end? In other words, What if my gun has a power of two when I fire it... I lose one power to the discharge but do I also lose one to the end of round?

And on a related note to that question, I'm unclear if you always lose just one power unit when firing a cannon or if you'd lose an amount equal to the level at which you fire (and thus the number of rolled dice).

Correct with the first one and you lose (as Diamond Spider mentioned) one power per use.

However your power level of your guns will determine how strong your regular cannon shot is (not multi laser...)

Remember that engines can only be pumped for excess power once per round. So after you pump for extra energy place a used token to remind you that you've already attempted that engine.

Yes as an engineer, you'll be running up and down your ship. If you're using just the base set, then my suggestion for engineers are Canosian or a Zoallan if they want a little bit more protection. These two are probably your best starting bets. Give them the move abilty and/or a cyber foot when they can and you really can be on top of things.

If you have any of the expansions Galactic Civil War,PAX Galcticum, or The Planet of Dr. Moreau then as far as the available races go, whistlers aren't too bad nor are the inner ship transports (I forget what they are called, but they allow moving from one module on one end of the ship to movement all the way to the other. Practically a must if you're a Fungaloid or Silicoid.) The Avianoid (sp?) or Rabbitoid because of their high natural speed, but the Avianoids is also not affected by OOC if I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an add in:

The power loss you experience at the end of the round is just an offset to what you gain at the beginning of the round. With the +1/-1 each round, you are unable to just sit back and let your power go up and up without any sort of intervention. Most of the time though, you won't notice the power loss, since once your power is at zero, you can't lose any more, and you'll have plenty of things to do with the power during the course of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some engineering tricks you can do.

1. During the 6th and final phase, the engineer acts last. He does a power transfer such that he drains all power from from two areas (e.g. helm and shield) and puts that power in the third area (e.g. guns). At the end of the round, you normally subtract one power from each area. However, if an area has zero power, you don't subtract any. Thus, you can save up to two power units this way.

Here's an example not using the trick (assume 3 working engines).
Helm: 1 power
Guns: 1 power
Shields: 1 power

At the end of the round:
Helm: 0 power
Guns: 0 power
Shields: 0 power

At the start of the next round (i.e. phase 1):

Here's an example using this trick (again, assume 3 working engines).

Engineer successfully transfers all power (2 units) to Guns.
Guns: 3 power

At the end of the round:
Guns: 2 power

At the start of the next round (i.e. phase 1):
Guns: 3 power
Shilds: 1 power

This is a net gain of 2 power.

2. This next engineering trick gives the engineer more time to go do other things during the round. Let's say you have two engines such at their battlestatiions are within one move of each other.

During phase 6, it is likely all of your engines would have Used markers on them. You'll have to wait until phase 1 of the next round to pump engines. Instead of twiddling your thumbs at the battlestation during phase 6, you announce that you are going on Overwatch to pump the engine as soon as phase 1 starts.

End of Round, all Used markers are removed.

Phase 1, you execute the Overwatch action and pump the engine. You then take your free action to move to the other engine. Then you use your regular action to pump the second engine. Thus, you have pumped two engines during the first phase because of the Overwatch. This gives you more time to move to a third engine, repair a module, man a cannon or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys... Thanks for your replies. Here's some follow ups if you'd like to add to the discussion a bit more...

Tegre wrote:
However your power level of your guns will determine how strong your regular cannon shot is (not multi laser...)

right... is it correct that the power level of your shot (regular cannon) drains an equal amount of power from your guns? Or does a shot at power 3 for instance still drain only 1? I was thinking the former.

Tegre wrote:

Remember that engines can only be pumped for excess power once per round. So after you pump for extra energy place a used token to remind you that you've already attempted that engine.

used marker is applied if success or failure then?

sax wrote:

Here are some engineering tricks you can do.

Good suggestions, thanks! That overwatch thing is something else I'm a bit hazy on but is a topic for another discussion. It seems like a bit of a gimmie to use it that way but if the rules allow it, that's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
paratrewpr wrote:
...used marker is applied if success or failure then?

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paratrewpr wrote:
Guys... Thanks for your replies. Here's some follow ups if you'd like to add to the discussion a bit more...

Tegre wrote:

right... is it correct that the power level of your shot (regular cannon) drains an equal amount of power from your guns? Or does a shot at power 3 for instance still drain only 1? I was thinking the former.

It only drains 1.

If you want to see something nasty, lookup the "Overloader" ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Lakeland
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:

It only drains 1.

If you want to see something nasty, lookup the "Overloader" ability.

Glad I asked... I was thinking they drain per power level applied to shot. This is in line with the shields as well it appears (i.e. they don't "drain" equal to shot power). So it looks like once their power levels are up, they wouldn't drain too fast at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand your confusion on this jeff. It took me several reads to figure out how you were supposed to gain any power with 3 engines. Let a lone in the boot camp scenario where a tractor beam replaces and engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.