Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

In a few days, I'll be releasing the variant I've been considering for two years and working on pretty hard for the last 6 months. It's the biggest variant I've ever made, almost like a stand-alone game really. Here are a few images that should explain what this variant is all about:

• [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise

Can't wait to see what you've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this going to be a PnP or a production product? It looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yowie ! What an astonishing amount of work !!

You should be very proud, Beery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It's PnP. But I have designed templates and instructions so that people can build a box for it and everything. If people are into it, they will be able to create a boxed game and (depending on the printer and paper/card used) it will look as if it belongs on the shelf alongside "The Hunters" and "Silent Victory".

I made it as an homage to Greg's games and to Consim Press. I've made it so it plays a lot like The Hunters, and the rules are the same complexity (the rulebook is exactly the same length), and I've tweaked and added some rules so it simulates the first U-boat war to the best of my ability. Hopefully people will enjoy it.

Publishers seem to give WW1 games the kiss of death, so it's one of those things that will probably never be the subject of a published game. So I figured I'd give it a go. I figured I couldn't go too far wrong, because Greg Smith's "The Hunters" system design is rock solid. All I've really done is tweak the parts that needed tweaking in order for it to model WW1 - and I've added lots of graphical detail to (hopefully) immerse players in the period. And I've spent weeks (literally) transposing most of the merchant ships that were sunk in WW1 - and inserting the final 500 ships is what I'm doing right now.

There are 16 different U-boat types to choose from, including minelaying boats and U-boats from the Austrian Navy. Every theater where U-boats operated is simulated, from the North Sea to the Mediterranean to the Black Sea and even the Baltic, with rules that will allow players to simulate the careers of the highest scoring aces in each theater. So if you're in the Baltic, your score over time will be very low, while players operating in and around the North Sea will find plenty of targets, but plenty of risk, and players simulating careers in the Mediterranean will find that victories come fast and relatively easy.

The game gets tougher over time, with technological advances making life harder for the U-boats, and the political situation is modeled too, so in one month you might find plenty of targets due to the German High Command allowing unrestricted submarine warfare, while the next month the political winds might change, forcing you to let a lot of shipping slip through your fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
This looks awesome, can't wait to give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just submitted the zip file. With a bit of luck, it should be approved later today or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Costa
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow...surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here it is:

Raiders of the Deep: U-boats of the Great War, 1914-1918
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
(agog)

Just started reading the rules. Floored by the - terrific - introduction alone.. Thank you for - yet again (check out Beery's Mega Module folks..) - expanding the narrative scope of this particular history. Great context for The Hunters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, once again, for the positive reaction, folks. The game should probably be regarded as in "beta" form right now, so if anyone notices any problems, please let me know, so I can address the issues. I'm really looking forward to getting some feedback from other players, so that I can iron out any bugs. I'm still hard at work looking for any inconsistencies, but I haven't found anything but a few typos so far, but sometimes when I'm so close to the design, it's easy to miss things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,

Again, I must say I am humbled that Ian likes my system enough to put THIS much effort into a mod.

However, mod really doesn't quite fit the bill here. I would like to approach John Kranz and see if we can't get onto our production schedule, assuming we can get enough support for this project. I think this is terrific and deserves to get the full blown treatment a published wargame gets.

Besides, the OTHER Ian, Mr. Wedge, seems to be a bit of a WW1 nut (errr, "enthusiast" I meant to say!) and if the artist gets excited, that helps

Anyway, huge kudos to Ian for this labor of love.

Greg
Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, Greg! It would be great if Raiders of the Deep can make it into production as a real game.

I think (and I think many will agree with me) what you created with The Hunters is a great game system and I think many future game designers will be inspired by it. You should be proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have a buyer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
FrUnit7 wrote:
You'll have a buyer here.

+1(!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mat
msg tools
mb
I would also buy this as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For wanting to see this as a production game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wedge
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:

Besides, the OTHER Ian, Mr. Wedge, seems to be a bit of a WW1 nut (errr, "enthusiast" I meant to say!) and if the artist gets excited, that helps

You called?

Yep, enthusiast, that's the word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Biere
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
you raaannnnng..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ready to play WW1 U-boat game? Holy crap, count me in! Will download this asap and take it to the print shop. Will try and get in some patrols for play testing as well. Excellent work Ian!

Oh and definitely count me in for any production version of the game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB Anderson
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Looks really good! I would buy this! Where do I place my pre-order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capn_tucker wrote:
Will try and get in some patrols for play testing as well.

Sounds great! Those who do play, please do let me know how it goes. If anything can be explained better or improved, I'll do my best to make the game work as well as it can. I'll keep the variant download page updated with notes regarding rule changes and clarifications, and any significant changes will get a new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Taking the files in to the print shop tomorrow. Hopefully I will have everything back in a few days. Looking forward to playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three cheers to Ian( a very smart and hard worker!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is "Yea Baby" go for it Greg; I know Greg and team would do a great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.