Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools

We've developed a Board Game Recommender Engine based on data from over 45,000 board gamers. Take a 5-minute survey to get your Board Game Motivation Profile, and we'll find the 1,000 gamers who are most similar to you and identify the board games that are disproportionately popular among those gamers.

Thanks so much BGG for helping us create this profile tool and recommender enginer though the brainstorming, pilot survey, and initial launch!

You can learn more about how we created the underlying profile tool in this blog post.

If you've previously taken the profile and registered an account, you can sign in and view your game recommendations. You don't need to go through the survey again.

If you've previously taken the profile, but did not register. You can see your recommendations if you still have the link to your motivation profile (e.g., from a previous Facebook share).

Need games to play with your friends? Have them take the profile as well and then use our Game Together Engine to find games you would both enjoy.

We are currently beta-testing this recommender engine, and we welcome and appreciate any and all feedback you have. There is a one-click rating scale on the recommender results page, as well as a link to a 30-second feedback survey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update. Where can I learn more about the QF Score, and what it means?

Edit:
I found it.

"...a QF score of 2 means that gamers most similar to this profile are twice as likely to list this game as a favorite compared to gamers in general."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Also, it says the results are "filtered from 18 total entries". What does that mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Yee
United States
California
flag msg tools
TIM0THY wrote:
Also, it says the results are "filtered from 18 total entries". What does that mean?

18 is the total number of games returned by the recommender. By default, we show only the games that were released in the past 10 years (to avoid the list being too cluttered). But if you use the toggle, you can switch it to all games returned. And then it would show 18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
QuanticNick wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

18 is the total number of games returned by the recommender. By default, we show only the games that were released in the past 10 years (to avoid the list being too cluttered). But if you use the toggle, you can switch it to all games returned. And then it would show 18.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I also discovered the "popularity threshold" selector, which, after adjusting to include "niche games" allowed the generator to recommend quite a few more interesting titles.

Thanks!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sb so
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amazon links next to the recommendations are dangerous for those of us with a buying disorder, already systematically fuelled by BGG ;-) whistle

All joking aside, great tool, very interesting! I am going to take a look how far off my self set "next play" goals and my wishlist are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad M
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very interesting, thank you! Recommendation for Macao was much greater than any other game. Macao was on my list to buy if it ever gets a reprint. Based on the two Feld games getting a 10th year anniversary reprint next year, I'll gave to wait until 2019.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worked well, it did recommend games for me that I like (and own and have played). Nice job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quite interesting. But it's apparently hard to recommend games considering my somewhat conflicting preferences

I felt that results got a bit better after moving the slider all the way towards 'niche games', though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:

I felt that results got a bit better after moving the slider all the way towards 'niche games', though.

I experienced the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.