GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,905 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: How good are the miniatures if you don't paint them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiax
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested in Kingdom Death Monster, but I have no intention of taking the time to paint the figures. How good do they look once assembled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiax wrote:
I'm interested in Kingdom Death Monster, but I have no intention of taking the time to paint the figures. How good do they look once assembled?

Fantastic. The detail is amazing. I have no patience or skill for painting and I've left them totally bare. They are great the way they are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiax wrote:

They look good. You can find plenty of pictures. Mine are unpainted and I'm more than happy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have friends that just apply a "dark wash" to figures for their boardgames and then spray seal them. Thay helps the details stand out a bit better.

I will certainly be painting mine though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might glue them, spray them, then wash them roughly. The result will be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want to go one step further than just assembling them, you could try an Army Painter colored primer spray can. I like the Skeleton Bone one!

Another step further would be a simple light wash, to really bring out the detail. All in all shouldn't cost much more than ~$25 for the primer and wash, and should only take an hour or 2 of work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Army Painter. I do paint miniatures, but for this game I wanted the survivors to look like statues, and the monsters to look like they were carved in bone. Just sprayed, washed, highlighted:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Here are unpainted minis:

All of these are posed and assembled by me, from the supplied armor kits of the base game, Gorm, Spidicules, and Sunstalker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
+1 for Army Painter. I do paint miniatures, but for this game I wanted the survivors to look like statues, and the monsters to look like they were carved in bone. Just sprayed, washed, highlighted:

Would it be possible to see some other miniatures of yours in order to see how your method looks like in general (survivors or anything else)?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

Would it be possible to see some other miniatures of yours in order to see how your method looks like in general (survivors or anything else)?

Thanks

You mean other figures painted in this way? Sure.

These are the four main survivors painted to look like statues. I was going to paint them to look like marble, but in the end went for a much simpler solution for speed. The coloured rings are to help distinguish characters in play (I use the coloured cards from the box next to the relevant character sheet to keep track).

It looks okay in play:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
Here are unpainted minis:

All of these are posed and assembled by me, from the supplied armor kits of the base game, Gorm, Spidicules, and Sunstalker.

The return of the Australian Miniature Collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
Kevin Outlaw - what wash did you use on that lion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pictures can't do them justice. They benefit from paint, but even a simple paint job makes them look awesome. Spray and shade will be enough for most people. The thing is, when you've got 2 inch tall dudes without metal weapons and leather armor facing off against a 12+ inch bird monster with hands coming out of its ass and it's grinding your bones into a fine paste, you'll appreciate how fantastic it looks even unpainted. Find the biggest monster you can in descent and make a 3x3x3 cube of the models and it's probably about the size of the Phoenix. It's menacing and scary and unprecedented in its detail and size in the world of board games. It's probably one of the most amazing sculpts out there. All the models are great, and worth giving a quick spray with a grey primer and maybe a light sepia wash. But, yeah, the plastic models look crazy good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew reilly
United States
Middeltown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kevin,
I would love to use your magic spray that also fills mold lines ;]
That said, the spray and wash method works great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmb
justdrew wrote:
Kevin,

Yeah, that can be rough. One thing I've found is that if you use plastic cement instead of superglue it melts the plastic and the joints become less obvious or even invisible. The big monsters are a different story, but a little bit of humbrol putty and sanding works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bibious wrote:
Kevin Outlaw - what wash did you use on that lion?

I bought a big box of Army Painter paints and washes. This was done with bone spray, soft tone ink, and a few layers of drybrushing.

justdrew wrote:
Kevin,

Ha. I cheated my ass off with these models. Just used plastic glue to melt everything. You can still see a few lines on the lion, but I wasn't too worried as I wasn't going for a realistic look anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Alright so I know I said I like them unpainted, but this ivory look is totally badass. Any chance you can post a more detailed tutorial on what you did here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiax wrote:

A good colored base coat, wash, and seal looks impressive--no doubt!

I'm also new to this and asking myself this same question. Because of another thread, I found a site that seems to have the best pics of assembled, unpainted minis, just for reference:
http://www.vibrantlantern.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that while painting is definitely optional, there is more than a little assembly involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's less about the paint, I think they actually have a cool style in gray, but it's more about the gaps between the actually pieces of the model. I'd suggest getting something like "Green Stuff" for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:

Alright so I know I said I like them unpainted, but this ivory look is totally badass. Any chance you can post a more detailed tutorial on what you did here?

Sure. I didn't do anything fancy.

Spray undercoated with Army Painter Skeleton Bone.
Touched up any missed areas with regular Skeleton Bone.
Washed with Army Painter Soft Tone Ink (literally just sloshed it on with a big brush).
When it was dry, I drybrushed... I want to say three times, but I bet it was only twice. Just adding a small amount of white to the Skeleton Bone each time.
Final very, very light drybrush with white.

(Drybrushing is basically putting paint on a brush, wiping almost all of it off, and then lightly flicking the brush over the surface of the model to leave a light dusting of the paint on the raised edges.)

Then I used a matte varnish to protect the finish.

The survivors were slightly more involved, as I used a combination of lots of washes and inks to try to make them look weathered, and then picked out the lanterns so they looked like they are glowing (at least, that's what they are supposed to look like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
If anyone wants to paint the kdm mini's and are inexperienced painters like me, it would maybe be a good idea to practise on less detailed figures first(and cheaper).
When kdm arrives, I will have painted about 5 games and I'm sure the practise wont hurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Tullis wrote:
If anyone wants to paint the kdm mini's and are inexperienced painters like me, it would maybe be a good idea to practise on less detailed figures first(and cheaper).
When kdm arrives, I will have painted about 5 games and I'm sure the practise wont hurt

I have never painted a mini, but my family are getting me the Mega Army Painter set for Christmas.

I'm going to try painting my old Hero Quest minis first, which is mostly goblin type minis & a few humans.

Then I might do The Others 7 Sins which will be far more complicated as there are dozens more human minis.

After that...I will hopefully have the courage to start working on some KDM.

I own the original game & sent several minis off to a pro to assemble & paint them. I do love how they look but it was bloody expensive...totally worth it, but bloody expensive!

Back on topic though, I think the unpainted minis are still distinct enough & good enough sculpts that you won't need them painted to know who's who on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Good luck with the painting then

If you are like me you will come to love/hate it.
A painted game really pops on the table, but try not to be too self-conscious about it and just have fun.

I wasn't too happy with how my first paintjob shook out, but on the other hand its still better than unpainted mini's(atleast to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tullis wrote:

Ohh yeah! I've gotten back to painting my Shadows of Brimstone core sets, and will have a metric ton of miniatures when I finally get my wave 2 shipment from them.

Practice practice practice before KD:M gets here!

Only thing is, I'm not sure I'm going to want the same style for KD:M as for SoB...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.