The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Faramir rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Does he contribute his willpower to the quest as well or just buff all other questing characters +1 ? I have never added his will power once I use his action, just the buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
Does he contribute his willpower to the quest as well or just buff all other questing characters +1 ? I have never added his will power once I use his action, just the buff.

I assume you are referring to Core Set Faramir? He wouldn't contribute his own willpower because he's not committing to the quest. He's exhausting to use his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Yes Core set and thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:
Yes Core set and thank you.

No problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to do both with ready effects - e.g. commit Faramir to quest, ready him with Ever Vigilant, then exhaust him again for his ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me also point out an important thing that is closely related to your question. I missed this when I learned the game.

There is an action window AFTER you draw encounter cards (staging) but BEFORE you resolve the quest. So when Faramir is in play, if you don't commit him to the quest, then you can wait until after you see the cards that are drawn. Then you can decide whether you need to exhaust Faramir to use his action ability. If you don't need the boost to willpower, then you can save him for blocking/attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gilman
United States
The Dalles
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you don't mind if I piggy back with a related question:

I recently just played with the base set deck and had the following situation:

Final quest objective was active for the first quest (Beorn's Path, 10 progress points left) and I had 3 heroes and 5 allies. I had 7 resource tokens.

I committed all three heroes and two of the five allies to the quest. Two of the allies were Faramir's with which I exhausted to give the 5 committed members +2 willpower. I then played Grim Resolve which readied all of my characters, recommitted the three heroes and two allies to the quest, and then activated the two Faramir's action a second time, resulting in +4 willpower per character.

This resulted going into the quest with 27 willpower (7 base willpower, 4*5 willpower from Faramir's).

Is this a legit combo? It obviously won me the game at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
aliasxneo wrote:

Final quest objective was active for the first quest (Beorn's Path, 10 progress points left) and I had 3 heroes and 5 allies. I had 7 resource tokens.

I committed all three heroes and two of the five allies to the quest. Two of the allies were Faramir's with which I exhausted to give the 5 committed members +2 willpower. I then played Grim Resolve which readied all of my characters, recommitted the three heroes and two allies to the quest, and then activated the two Faramir's action a second time, resulting in +4 willpower per character.

This resulted going into the quest with 27 willpower (7 base willpower, 4*5 willpower from Faramir's).

Faramir is unique (as indicated by the icon next to his name on the card), so you can only have one Faramir in play at a time.

The other part - where you use Faramir's action, ready him and use the action again - is legit.

Oh, and you don't have to "recommit" characters after readying them - readying a questing character doesn't remove them from the quest (look at core Aragorn for proof - if readying removed him, his ability would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gilman
United States
The Dalles
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
aliasxneo wrote:

Faramir is unique (as indicated by the icon next to his name on the card), so you can only have one Faramir in play at a time.

The other part - where you use Faramir's action, ready him and use the action again - is legit.

Oh, and you don't have to "recommit" characters after readying them - readying a questing character doesn't remove them from the quest (look at core Aragorn for proof - if readying removed him, his ability would be pretty pointless, wouldn't it?).

Ah, this was only my second playthrough, I forgot to look for the unique symbol.

The bit about recommitting is good to know too, although it wouldn't of changed the outcome this time around.

Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've read that correct, on top of using two Faramirs, you also applied his ability twice by using Grim Resolve to ready him. I don't believe that is a legal play. You can commit Faramir to the quest, ready him and then exhaust him to give the +1 willpower to himself as well as the other characters. You can't exhaust him to give +1, ready him and then exhaust him again to give +2 to the other characters. At least that's the way I would play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
modernlife wrote:
You can't exhaust him to give +1, ready him and then exhaust him again to give +2 to the other characters.

Sure you can (with the caveat that +2 is the total result of both activations, not the result of just the second activation). There are no limits printed on Faramir, and there is nothing to cancel Faramir's effects if he readies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thanks. That's certainly a potentially powerful combo. The joys of LCGs and trying to figure out all you can and can't do when combining cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.