Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't tried the scenario variants yet, but the vanilla version of the scenario seems impossible for the allies to win. That is, if I am playing correctly. It is highly likely that I am not. This is my first foray into the ARC.

In this scenario the winner is the side that eliminates all enemy units. If that doesn't happen by the end of turn 3, whoever holds the single objective hex wins. The Germans start in control of the hex.

My first attempt at this had me stack my British tank units with 3 in the forward hex and 2 in the back. I then started things off by having a Sherman fire at a PzIV. It missed, but triggered the ARC. A PzIV returned fire. A Sherman returned fire. Repeat over and over, with the same tanks on each side firing multiple times. I just let it roll without putting a stop to it and in the end all 3 Sherman's were destroyed. I then moved the stack of two Shermans forward. ARC, repeat repeat, dead Shermans.

In my second attempt I stacked 4 Shermans in the forward hex and left the 5th one in the back hex. I decided that this stack of 4 is going to move to within 2 hexes of the Germans before returning fire. As it moved forward, the Germans reacted, but since the British declined to react the stack managed to get to within 2 hexes of the Germans - and luckily only had one step loss. However once in that hex, they chose to return fire and I allowed the ARC to play out to its fullest. Again, rounds and rounds of fire, with the same units firing multiple times, resulting in all 4 Shermans wiped out. The PzIVs did take some step losses but were still intact, and thus still with full anti-tank capabilities. The 5th tank of course was toast as soon as it pulled into view.

Am I playing the ARC correctly (in the action phase) in that units can keep on returning fire, one at a time, even the same unit over and over, provided no one "gives" and chooses to pass? I'm fine with that - I just am unsure how to do better as the British.

I thought I'd try the "Fire on their flanks!" variant but then saw the German's are upgraded to Panthers and figured I should get some strategy advice first

Thanks.

PS. I know this is intended as a learning scenario - I just want to make sure I am learning correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike. While it's difficult to offer precise feedback without seeing a play-by-play, there are some general tactics and suggestions that almost always apply to armored brawls.

1. First, it almost never makes sense to "play out the ARC to its fullest." One side or the other will almost always have an advantage. You want to push the ARC (via Return Fire) only when you have the advantage.

There are certain things you can do, and certain situations you can find yourself in, that will help give you this advantage.

2. Favorable DRMs. Your net AT Fire DRM is better than your opponent's.

3. Your total number of steps and/or full-strength units exceeds your opponent's.

Even once folks have grasped #1, it's easy to fall into the rut of looking at only #2. #3 is also important--especially where control of a particular hex is involved.

4. Alternate firing units. If you otherwise have the advantage (#2 and #3) but your opponent gets lucky and manages to do a step reduction to you anyway, see if you can return fire with a different unit--one that's at full strength. This brings me to my final suggestions...

5. When possible, position your units so that units in favorable terrain (or on higher ground) can cover the movement of their buddies. Of course, this isn't possible in a scenario where all terrain is limited to field. Where possible, try to position units for flank shots as well.

6. Don't be afraid to "drop off" units from a moving stack. The unit that remains behind can provide Return Fire against enemies that fire on the still-moving stack.

7. Don't be afraid to simply ignore incoming fire (especially if it needs an unmodified roll of ~13 or higher to do a step reduction) in order to get where you're going, whether that's a hex with cover or an objective hex. Once you hold an objective, the impetus falls on your opponent.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. The ARC seems simple but there are a lot of subtle tactics that can really make a world of difference.

The Shermans have the numeric advantage in this scenario but they need to pick their shots carefully because the Germans will typically have a higher net DRM (Penetration DRM = +4 for Brits, +6 for Germans). You need to get at least a stack of Shermans into range so that they can be used to Return Fire and cover other advancing stacks of Shermans. Focus on points #1, 3, 4, and 6.

Hope this helps! I found the scenario to be balanced but your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks! I'm going to be filming a playthrough of this so we shall see if I can improve the British performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this again. British won handily. In my first two plays I may have been treating the zero on the die as a... zero. It should be treated as a ten blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.