United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading a thread in Scythe where someone suggested that Scythe's high rating on BGG was due in part to the over-produced components of the collector's edition. I suggested that, unless a game is good to begin with, no high-end components can save it. At least not catapult it to the top ten on BGG.

This being said, I noticed I do have a number of deluxe versions of games in my library. Small World Designer's Edition, Takenoko Collector's Edition, Puerto Rico anniversary edition, Ticket to Ride anniversary edition, Scythe Collector's Edition, Twilight Struggle, and even added metal coins to my Caverna game.

I feel that, even if I didn't have the deluxe versions of these games I would still play them. In fact in some cases (Small World, Puerto Rico, Takenoko) I bought and enjoyed the standard versions first and upgraded to the deluxe versions once I knew they would stay in my collection.

However, I cannot deny that playing with higher end components does add to the experience. I mean, it has to right? Otherwise why would people pay extra for essentially the same game? Why would anyone spend 4 digits on War of the Ring collector's edition unless those components matter? Granted, some people just want it for the collectable nature, but personally I just enjoy the game more.

There is something fun and rewarding bringing out a deluxe Small World or Ticket to Ride - games I play with non-gamers. They're used to crappy Monopoly or Sorry games, and see this beautiful adult toy - that they actually get to use and enjoy. I assume owners of other deluxe edition games feel essentially the same way.

I guess, the short question is the title of the thread, do any of you give a game a look based soley on it's great components? Would you ever buy/own a deluxe version of a game you wouldn't play based on it's components?

It's just a question of curiosity. Clearly there is a demand for games (popular ones anyway) to come out with overproduced limited runs of a game as they tend to sell out asap. Some games, like the Twilight Struggle edition, come with alternate artwork on cards, a different map, and overall very different, if not better, components than the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some games that don't interest me, no matter how neat the components. But cool components, especially if likely to be a limited release, do get me to take a second look at a game, or make me more likely to buy then rather than waiting for a regular version of a game I might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm dying for the anniversary edition of puerto rico, but i feel it wouldn't get the tabletop time justifying such a price. I doubt it will catch hubby's appeal for repeated plays without my insistance. And the regular version just seems so blah in comparision.

For the price of the anniversary edition I can buy about 3 regular games. So while I would love it dearly, the quantity of games tends to win out lately. If only money were no object...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I was reading a thread in Scythe where someone suggested that Scythe's high rating on BGG was due in part to the over-produced components of the collector's edition. I suggested that, unless a game is good to begin with, no high-end components can save it. At least not catapult it to the top ten on BGG.

This being said, I noticed I do have a number of deluxe versions of games in my library. Small World Designer's Edition, Takenoko Collector's Edition, Puerto Rico anniversary edition, Ticket to Ride anniversary edition, Scythe Collector's Edition, Twilight Struggle, and even added metal coins to my Caverna game.

I feel that, even if I didn't have the deluxe versions of these games I would still play them. In fact in some cases (Small World, Puerto Rico, Takenoko) I bought and enjoyed the standard versions first and upgraded to the deluxe versions once I knew they would stay in my collection.

However, I cannot deny that playing with higher end components does add to the experience. I mean, it has to right? Otherwise why would people pay extra for essentially the same game? Why would anyone spend 4 digits on War of the Ring collector's edition unless those components matter? Granted, some people just want it for the collectable nature, but personally I just enjoy the game more.

There is something fun and rewarding bringing out a deluxe Small World or Ticket to Ride - games I play with non-gamers. They're used to crappy Monopoly or Sorry games, and see this beautiful adult toy - that they actually get to use and enjoy. I assume owners of other deluxe edition games feel essentially the same way.

I guess, the short question is the title of the thread, do any of you give a game a look based soley on it's great components? Would you ever buy/own a deluxe version of a game you wouldn't play based on it's components?

It's just a question of curiosity. Clearly there is a demand for games (popular ones anyway) to come out with overproduced limited runs of a game as they tend to sell out asap. Some games, like the Twilight Struggle edition, come with alternate artwork on cards, a different map, and overall very different, if not better, components than the original game.

You just wanted to brag about this, right?

I much prefer to bling out games, and it definitely adds to the play experience, occasionally to the point of making an otherwise borderline game playable. To wit: I have a copy of Twilight Imperium 3 that I absolutely could not get anybody to play. Instead of dumping the game (which frankly, is what I should have done), I instead made a complete bling set, including 5" wood hex tiles, mounted and painted ships, fighters with dice docks, etc. Cost over $200 to do this. If I set it up at a con, for sure people will come over and want to play. Unfortunately, I've now found that the game's really a 5 or 6 for me, not a 10, so I'd rather spend the time playing other, better games. But I really would have already dumped this one without the deluxified set.

EDIT: I actually have two copies of the Scythe Collector's edition, including one still in the shrink. Gonna have to get that up on eBay or GM soon. So I guess I'm a sucker for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

But nice components do add to my enjoyment of a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:
...Small World Designer's Edition,

You just wanted to brag about this, right?

Lol! I was one of the very few that got a hold of this for the two minutes they were on sale through the DoW website. I had a much better job back then. I couldn't afford to purchase it now and I definitely can't afford the current prices. But it is truly a "deluxe" game in every sense of the term. It looks like a box of games.

SJAirshark wrote:
I much prefer to bling out games, and it definitely adds to the play experience, occasionally to the point of making an otherwise borderline game playable. To wit: I have a copy of Twilight Imperium 3 that I absolutely could not get anybody to play. Instead of dumping the game (which frankly, is what I should have done), I instead made a complete bling set, including 5" wood hex tiles, mounted and painted ships, fighters with dice docks, etc. Cost over $200 to do this. If I set it up at a con, for sure people will come over and want to play. Unfortunately, I've now found that the game's really a 5 or 6 for me, not a 10, so I'd rather spend the time playing other, better games. But I really would have already dumped this one without the deluxified set.

EDIT: I actually have two copies of the Scythe Collector's edition, including one still in the shrink. Gonna have to get that up on eBay or GM soon. So I guess I'm a sucker for this.

Two copies of Collector's Edition Scythe is a pretty lucky score. You can pay for both copies by selling one off.

I think Scythe is one of the most breathtaking edition of a game I have seen. Not quite as overproduced as Small World Designer's, but the artwork is literally jaw-dropping. Thankfully the game is as good as the components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
No. I don't really care much what the components are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nope. But making a good game with improved components (Puerto Rico with ships'n'stuff) will make me itch to rebuy it again and feel being cheated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Give me good and cheap. Those deluxe components are an impediment to my buy decision.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am an absolute sucker for foil cards, shiny metal ink and colorful translucent gems. That said, no, if I wouldn't otherwise like the game it's attached to I don't let myself buy it.

(Example: yes, I did nearly back Theomachy at the level that got the foil cards, but as I don't care for poker I forced myself to walk away.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Give me good and cheap. Those deluxe components are an impediment to my buy decision.

S.

Funny how it's the opposite effect for some. It makes sense either way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Sagrilarus wrote:

S.

Funny how it's the opposite effect for some. It makes sense either way too.

I'm at a stage in my life where a $20 or $30 purchase is an impulse buy. If somebody tries to sell me the exact same game for $80 in a box that fills my entire travel bag I'm gonna balk. I'm not looking to have a committed relationship with the thing, I'm looking for a couple of hours of fun with friends now and again. The good news for me is that you guys that want the deluxe are willing to sell your cheap version at half its original cheap price.

Every game I buy is going to sit on the shelf next to Warriors of God, an engaging, visually stunning game that fits in an 8.5 x 11 x 1.5 inch box. That's the bar new games need to measure up to in my basement. If you want to sell me 250 minis and the crate they come in you better have one hell of a game to go with it. I'm not buying it for the package.

By the way I bought Acquire on sale for $10, and they spell "Sackson" correctly in it. One hell of a purchase.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I got back into the hobby. Some years ago I found Shadows over Camelot: A Company of Knights which were 8 fully painted miniatures of knights. So I ordered it. Couple of weeks later I picked up Shadows over Camelot and it's lone extension. Later it was CATAN 3D Collector's Edition, Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary, and Orléans: Deluxe Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have given Space Alert, Euphoria or D-Day Dice a second thought without the improved components.

Heck, most Fragor games are instabuys for people for that very reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
That's how I got back into the hobby. Some years ago I found Shadows over Camelot: A Company of Knights which were 8 fully painted miniatures of knights. So I ordered it. Couple of weeks later I picked up Shadows over Camelot and it's lone extension. Later it was CATAN 3D Collector's Edition, Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary, and Orléans: Deluxe Edition.

Interesting to note that I used to have the Catan collector's edition. Loved it. However, my play group just couldn't be bothered with Catan in any iteration. The gamers were sick of it after years of playing, the non-gamers were just not interested. That beautiful box sat there for two years before I sold it. I think I ended up buying the Twilight Struggle Deluxe with some of the money.

Also worth noting is I have no desire to own deluxe versions of games that I won't see on the table. War of the Ring looks awesome. However, nobody in my circles is interested in the game. So - I never got it. Only my personal fave games that actually get played do I seek out in a deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.