Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Joe [+] Dever [+] RIP_11_29_2016 [+] [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This made me really sad. I just found out that Joe Dever passed away today at the age of 60.

I must have been around ten when I started reading fantasy and loved reading the stories of Belgarion, Lord of the Rings but most of all the Lone Wolf series. A book also being a game blew my mind and I loved it!

I'm pretty sure stumbling across the Swedish translation of "Ensamma Vargen" as a kid lead me on the path of shaping much of what I do and love today. The books influenced me to learn programming in my pre-teens, writing code in Basic to create simple games where you can choose your own destiny (a skill I get to use every once in a while at work today when I need to write some simple VBA in MS Office). I'm pretty sure his books had something to do with me falling in love with Magic (Revised Edition) as a 13-year old and all the games I have enjoyed since.

I read in a Swedish forum that he used to come to a local games convention here in Göteborg and all who met him seem to have found him very friendly.

Thank you for your work Joe, you will be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Scholes
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very sad to hear this news too - the Lone Wolf books were some of my first introductions to the world of roleplaying, and I still get a great deal of joy out of them. I had heard via kickstarter updates that he was not well, but I didn't realize that it was as serious as this. A very sad day indeed.

(additional conversations here and here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. A lot of my childhood was spent adventuring through his worlds. Too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
I'm at Mini-Wellycon - Oct 22 - 23, 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
A very sad surprise. Condolences to Joe's friends and family. Winner of the US AD&D Championships in 1982 and creator of the first gamebook series with a continuing story and an interesting, lived-in world. With his blessing, all the original Lone Wolf books are available to play online for free at Project Aon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.