Subject: My Thoughts on this version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Overall, I like this better than the original game, and I really feel like this is the best version of the game - strictly speaking about the playing mechanics. It's like the original game and the expansions were the play tests that were needed to fine tune the game and this version is the retail result. If you have the originals and the expansions, you don't need to buy this. Instead, read the rulebook and build this game from those components. If you don't have the Originals, just get this.

My grips with this game are strictly about the physical components.

The choice of colors for the dice is mind boggling to the point where they feel like they don't belong with this game. I might replace them with some purple and green dice.

The coins and cards feel cheaper than the original game, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I guess they're fine; I can live with it.

The box is ginormous. It could be 1/4 of the size and it would still be too big for this game. The game components will squeeze in to a 150 ct. card box without sleeves. I think the reason the box is so big is the design of the rulebook, which is cut to fit the size of the box. The insert does horrible job of stopping the game components from scattering all over the place. It sounds like a petty complaint, but this is incredibly frustrating to me.

Bottom Line: If you're going to play Machi Koro, this is the version you should play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I disagree.

I bought this instead of the Deluxe version because I already have friends who own the Deluxe and wanted something different.

My first disappointment was discovering that a slew of the cards from the other expansions didn't make the cut in this, drastically throwing off whatever game balance there previously was.

example: with no mine cards, the furniture factory is now pretty much useless as a winning engine, especially compared to the far superior fruit & vegetable market.

another example / WTF moment: they got rid of the loan cards, but yet still talk about them in the rulebook!

That last point highlights the piss poor production quality on this release: rules that weren't updated, glaring omission of how many coins each player starts with, lack of clarification on the City Hall card counting as a constructed landmark, etc.

Worst of all is the supremely overpowered Moon Tower where you can roll 3 dice and basically whoever gets this first will win each and every time.

The only positive about this edition is the 5-5-2 setup, but even that may be flawed because the purple cards can stall big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.