Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The Whining
I bought a lot of games recently (I'm poor now, please don't rob me) and I've noticed that most of the boxes are the large square type (WxH, not depth), and filled with laughing gas. Or it should be, because I laugh at how much empty space is in there. It's becoming somewhat of a problem trying to find space on a shelf for these, and there's no reason for all these game boxes to be this size.

Three recent examples:

I could fit these into a King of Tokyo box (if I had the time).

Why are games boxes getting bigger?
Suddenly, lurking in the dark shadows, I noticed that this cult-of-the-new game Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure has a SLIGHTLY LARGER box (WxH), by at least a quarter inch. I am frightened. Will this start a new race for publishers to increase their box size even more? If I give them an inch, will they take a mile?!?! I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR MILE-LONG BOXES!!!
(See Mechs vs. Minions for mile-long boxes.)

I'm not done yet.

Then there's the "BIG BOX" versions of games that are popular. EVEN MORE BITS, nom nom nom. Here's the thing: when I bring a game to a game night, I have to carry it. That's less room for other games, and I'm a wimp. So with a game like El Grande Big Box, I cannot get it to the table, LITERALLY. I need to shave it down into a smaller box to fit into my carry-bag, otherwise I'd need a sherpa to lug it around, and they're not cheap (but very nice to chat with).

The good ol' days
The Zman and Hans Im Glück boxes, that almost resembled a paperback book, are the prefect box size, IMO. They're practically palm-able, easily tossed onto a game table with a joyous laugh, and slip back nicely into your cheaply-assembled Ikea shelf. *sigh*

Look, I get it. Retail space appeal, etc. It's a tough business. But please, for the love of trees, let's go back to the rectangle box size. You'll be able to fit more onto a pallet, too! Think of the shipping savings (probably minimal, but nevermind that).

Most important of all, I cannot buy games if I have no where to put them!

And for those with infinite storage spaces like Dr. Strange, SCREW YOU.
(just kidding) whistle
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well some of that has been standardization of boxes. FFG has like 3 standard sizes, and with all the other mergers Asmodee might have a unified set across the board. This inevitably gets others to do the same for economic benefit. The other is the minimum surface area needed to adequately convey their product. Also I think as the average pricepoint has moved upwards, a certain level of content is expected, or expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't getting bigger, publishers are just choosing to package air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like having extra space so that you can store expansions with the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Mabuchi wrote:
They aren't getting bigger, publishers are just choosing to package air.

Publishers have always packaged air. One of the joys of opening a new game from Goldseiber was seeing just how much Spielluft you'd acquired.

I do think some games are being packaged in bigger boxes to gain more shelf presence, but in general I don't see it as a significant issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hall
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have wondered if boxes are getting bigger, but then I look back at the old FFG coffin boxes, and I'm not so sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carduner
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Get blitzed! Play World in Flames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this as a by-product of the increasing popularity of games with miniatures (and their correspondingly larger boxes).

The non-miniature games have to be packed in larger boxes to maintain shelf presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are game boxes getting bigger? Because the Universe is expanding! That's Science, folks!! cool

Seriously, I suspect you've got to look one level higher to the Distributor level and see how many copies of a given game come in a case. The case boxes likely fall under a standard sizing scheme and, rather than use smaller retail boxes and pay for packing peanuts or some other padding, the retail boxes are sized to fill the case boxes.

That would be my guess, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

I second that, I'm a big fan of fitting everything into one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see the problem. You drive a prius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Rock
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks from above
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
They aren't getting bigger, publishers are just choosing to package charge for air.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is truly confounding. The only benefit I can think of to make a big box is 1. When competing for your eyes on a retail shelf, it's more attractive. Okay, I get that.

However, the financial benefits of putting games in smaller packages include:

1. Less production cost
2. Less freight cost
3. Ability for stores to stock more of the product
4. And potentially, consumers willing to buy more games

And really, just #3 should be reason enough for publishers to be more efficient about box sizes. I see popular games evaporate at FLGS, and while some FLGS may be restricted by their buying budget, I know some are restricted primarily by SPACE.

Add to that, the Tiny Epic series has established an empire on top of the desire for more compact games.

Oy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Shadrach wrote:
I think I see the problem. You drive a prius.

Toyota FTW !!

Anyways I noticed this change too, particularly this year. My guess is they want to give the gamer the ability to store expansions within the base game box
Anyhow not a problem for me, I like big boxes anyways, prettier on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't agree more. I really dislike these unnecessarily large boxes. Space in my house is limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

If there are planned expansions, I *want* them to be larger. I hate not being able to fit a game + expansions into one box.

But if there are no planned expansions, then yea, it's ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started making Codenames-sized boxes for storing games. Imhotep, for example, will fit in that size. Lots of Queen games will, too, at least if you store the boards separately. <grumble grumble>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a blog post about that here...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/29490/why-cant-we-hav...

Quote:
1) Smaller boxes look like Magic The Gathering, or CCGs.
Some consumers don't want to take part in such a business model. Barring that, nothing wrong with that for the rest who still do CCGs.

2) Smaller boxes look like filler games.
It may give the wrong impression, of which something like Race For The Galaxy definitely isn't

3) Smaller boxes look like children's games.
Again, this isn't such a bad thing on its own, but can target the wrong audience.

4) larger boxes do advertise better on store shelves.
To attract those who don't know about the game ahead of time, I'd reckon this gets more "walk-in" purchases

Someone also pointed out a #5...
Quote:
#5: box size is somewhat a function of predetermined price point for the game. RftG is a case-in-point: the price-point for the game is mid-30's (msrp); no way they'd be able to market a game for $34.99 if it was in a box the size of Coloretto. QED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because...

PROFIT!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually passed on picking up the new edition of El Grande because of the huge box. I like the game enough to play others' copies, but not enough to store that thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like there are three box sizes. The King of Tokyo box, the Days of Wonder size box (FF is basically the same size but more height.) and the Scythe/ Robinson Crusoe box size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather have a box with air in it that is a standard size instead of something that is odd shaped. Makes organizing way easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Podsiadło
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, it's just universe getting bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam, I think you've hit on an underappreciated issue. I own a lot of games, and therefore I'm less inclined to buy new ones that come in big boxes. I'm already pretty jammed, so where will I find the room? And when I go to a gaming convention or other event, how many of these titles am I willing to carry?

I look at some of my older games that came in the standard Avalon Hill-scale boxes, such as Titan and Republic of Rome. I didn't buy the re-issues in part because of space.

I'm in the middle of selling a lot of games through BGG, and one of my criteria for letting go of a game is size. If I'm not sure how many times I'll ever play the game, and it's occupying a big part of the shelf, I'm more likely to get rid of it than others that are just as appealing to me. Later, that perception has an impact on buying decisions, too.

One of the minor reasons I've been a happy pre-order customer of GMT Games over the years, aside from the high average quality of their games, is the size issue. Everything from them comes in the same size box. I know, wargames aren't the same as other boardgames, but still...Do we need the boxes to be as large as they are? Do the games need to be as large as they are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdaddy wrote:
Adam, I think you've hit on an underappreciated issue. I own a lot of games, and therefore I'm less inclined to buy new ones that come in big boxes. I'm already pretty jammed, so where will I find the room? And when I go to a gaming convention or other event, how many of these titles am I willing to carry?

I look at some of my older games that came in the standard Avalon Hill-scale boxes, such as Titan and Republic of Rome. I didn't buy the re-issues in part because of space.

I'm in the middle of selling a lot of games through BGG, and one of my criteria for letting go of a game is size. If I'm not sure how many times I'll ever play the game, and it's occupying a big part of the shelf, I'm more likely to get rid of it than others that are just as appealing to me. Later, that perception has an impact on buying decisions, too.

One of the minor reasons I've been a happy pre-order customer of GMT Games over the years, aside from the high average quality of their games, is the size issue. Everything from them comes in the same size box. I know, wargames aren't the same as other boardgames, but still...Do we need the boxes to be as large as they are? Do the games need to be as large as they are?

Much like improved storage ends up being on the consumer*, more efficient boxes also just falls onto the consumer. Will confess that it is a bit of a shame to have to abandon the original box for something smaller, or combining games and to lose 1 or more of the box labels and art of the other games. I've stickered game labels onto boxes to show they also contain other games, but that takes more work. There's also the downside that if somebody wants to use your copy, they'll need to be able to separate the components to use, which is at best more work.

--Many people chuck inserts to fit more stuff
--DBG like Dominion and Thunderstone end up using custom inserts or stuff like from Broken Token to utilize the space better
--For Rattlebones, this game was perfect for individual containers. Makes set up, tear down, and storage a breeze
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Splendor can fit a number of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.