United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found myself in an odd situation, looking for clarification

-I am currently on stage 2B with 10 of 12 Quest tokens
-Wylador has 15 damage
-My active location is "Forest Grove" with 0 of 3 quest tokens and which contains the response: After the players explore Forest Grove, Search the ecounter deck and discard pile for 1 Athelas objective, and add it to the staging area. Then, Shuffle the Encounter Deck.
- I have 2 Athelas cards attached to heroes

My confusion is the correct order of play in the following situation:

I successfully quested with a surplus of 6. so first I must place my 3 tokens on Forest Grove, exploring the location... I pull an Athelas out of the discard pile and place it in the staging area. Then I place the remaining 3 quest tokens on the quest card, completing the stage. Which immediately takes me to Stage 3B where I instantly add up Athelas to heal Wylador, and judge success or failure. In this case failure because I have 2 of the 3 Athelas required to heal the 15 damage, with the 3rd Athelas sitting unclaimed in the staging area.

Is the above description correct? Or after placing the Athelas in the staging area, can I exhaust a hero (I still had one standing) to claim the Athelas, before adding quest tokens to the quest and advancing?

One option leads to failure, and the other leads to success, and I found myself unsure of exactly what was correct. Unfortunately I think, to the letter of the law, I have failed the quest.

Looking to you guys for clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't claim the Athelas because there is no action window between placing progress tokens (and exploring the Forest Grove) and completing the quest stage.

You also can't do it for another, more obscure reason. Even though you are placing progress on both the active location and the quest, you actually resolve the quest resolution before the active location resolution. So, Athelas isn't even in the staging area by the time you have lost the game.

From the FAQ:
"Q: If there is an active location with a Response effect that triggers when it is explored and the players make enough progress to explore the location and advance to the next stage, when do the players resolve the location's Response effect?
"A: The players should advance to the next stage immediately and resolve any 'when revealed' effects on the next stage, then resolve the Response effect on the active location."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no action window when you resolve the quest, so yeah, a fail. I've been tripped up by that on this quest at least once myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
In the last FAQ they clarified this:

Quote:
: If there is an active location with a Response effect
that triggers when it is explored and the players make
enough progress to explore the location and advance
to the next stage, when do the players resolve the
location’s Response effect?
A: The players should advance to the next stage
immediately and resolve any ‘when revealed’ effects on
the next stage, then resolve the Response effect on the
active location.

So you are right, 3B would immediately trigger off and you would have lost, there is no action window to claim that crucial athelas.

Edit: ninja'd by Teamjimby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
There is no action window when you resolve the quest, so yeah, a fail. I've been tripped up by that on this quest at least once myself!

I find the last stage of A Journey to Rhosgobel to be poorly designed (it was the first cycle, when they were still figuring out how they wanted the game to go). I would fix it by house-ruling that the stage 3 quest card gives you an action window when it's revealed. If you have any Athelas left unclaimed in the staging area, or any healing cards in your hand, you can play them during that action window. And THEN you check to see if you've healed Wilyador.

In my mind, this fixes the quest and makes it much more enjoyable to play, without changing the designers' intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess tactically, this scenario is all about controlling the precise amount of will when it comes to questing. Sometimes you have to be ridiculously precise to quest successfully in this one, whilst not SO successfully that situations like the above occur.
In that instance, if you had successfully quested by 3, instead of a healthy 6, then it would have turned out different. This is where having an ally like Hennermarth can really help you to NOT advance quicker than you want to, by spying the top card of the encounter deck before questing!
I know it feels counter intuitive to not want to quest with all guns blazing,but iirc that is very much the challenge of this scenario :-D better luck next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crixtey
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Unfortunate luck on my end with how it ended. I had a strong feeling I was defeated here, only made more discouraging by how victory was literally in sight...

I appreciate the rule clarification on location/quest resolution order. That's one I've definitely been doing wrong. Though I'm not sure its ever been relevant until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcd1982 wrote:
Also, the athelas would have been guarded, anyway, so an enemy or location would have prevented you from claiming it (unless it was a treachery).

Since the athelas was added rather than revealed (as an effect from exploring Forest Grove) it would not have been guarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.