BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Blood Rage vs Kemet vs Cyclades (2 player) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know these aren't held in such high esteem at that player count, but these are on my radar for the next purchase, and many do still enjoy them very much with just two.

What do others think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried these at 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed both Kemet and Cyclades at two-player, the former a little more so.

I can't imagine Blood Rage will work that well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Blood Rage with two... we had fun but i use it more so to teach new players than anything. Not one I pull when looking for a two player game... also own Cyclades but have never tried it with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played Blood Rage with 2 once. It was terrible. It's a good 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get a game that's considered more well suited for 2-4 players? Cry Havoc looks better for your needs in my opinion. I have played them all except Cry Havoc, so take with a grain of salt please. CH Looks to combine some of Nexus Ops, the combat objectives from Kemet, card play from study in emerald and people seem to think it plays 2 better than your 3 finalists. I want to try it just haven't been able to yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I own all three. I wouldn't play any of them with 2 players.

Have you tried Neuroshima Hex! or Claustropobia? Both are excellent 2 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played any of them with 2 players. But according to the people that actually have played Kemet with 2, they all say it's surprisingly better than they suspected.

For two-player combat, I'd go with one of these:

Earth Reborn
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
So many people knock on so many games when playing with 2 players. Sure the experience is better with more players in any game.

I have played both Blood Rage and Cyclades with 2 players multiple times. I have enjoyed every play, if I had to pick one over the other it would probably be Cyclades but I would never hesitate to play either. I own Kemet as well, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All are great games...but I think all feel certainly strongest with 3+ players.

If I had to choose one to play with 2 though, I think I might lean toward Cyclades. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with how tense the 2-player experience was.

If you were to ask me what games of this type would be best with 2 players, I'd suggest Nexus Ops...or possibly Cry Havoc or Forbidden Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, & I've looked at all the others before (already own Dungeon Twister).

Cry Havoc gameplay is appealing but I just don't like the look of the board: it looks very bland. I don't know why they couldn't have given the different areas individual features & artwork instead of just iconography.

As it is, I don't think it's a buy, but I'll watch Rodney Smith's play through for a closer look. Otherwise I still feel like I'm looking at the 3 games in the subject title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've played 2p is Kemet, which was enjoyable but I wouldn't buy it solely as a 2p game.

Check out Inis also, which is great 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, Inis looks good Mark, I hadn't come across this.

Usual problem though is the lack of UK stock...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Wow, Inis looks good Mark, I hadn't come across this.

Usual problem though is the lack of UK stock...

I've also heard it suggested that 2-player Inis loses a bit of it's pseudo-social dynamic and becomes more of a straight-up slug-fest. Still good, they say, but fundamentally different than the 3-4 player experience. Just something to keep in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Inis does lose the table dynamics/political game 2p, but it makes up for it by being a lot more intense on the strategic front. Due to the way the card draft works your will know almost exactly what options your opponent has at a given time, and it becomes a really cool game of trying to bait out certain cards and time your moves that your opponent can't mess with them etc. Plus you can play a 2p game in about 30 minutes and it packs a hell of a lot of game in that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well I've just received a copy of Star Trek Fleet Captains which will keep me occupied for a few days, and there's a copy of Viticulture Essential Edition & it's expansion on it's way too. It looks as though Inis is not going to be in stock until January, but I think it's going to be a really difficult choice.

I've ruled out Cry Havoc after watching Rodney Smith's play through (well couldn't get past episode 2 actually before realising it was a definite no)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We found that Cyclades was not very good with just two people. Map is too big and open, and if you chop it down there just isn't enough going on. Long story short--boring. It is amazing how adding one more person changes it into a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades 2 player is bleah.

Played it multiple times 2-player and it brought no joy to the table.
Quite the bummer.

It really drags on and on, and there are a couple cheap moves to victory that are no fun at all.

Even when I won, I felt no victory. Just kind of a tedious grind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be honest, of the three in the title bar, I have them in the following order of preference:-

1) Kemet
2) Blood Rage
3) Cyclades

I'm not 100% sure yet where I'd place Inis, I need to think more about it, but the mechanisms are quite unique which is very attractive. My son and I do like very confrontational games, and if we can get some secret agendas in there, all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like secret agendas, then Blood Rage it is.

On the subject if your title games, I just played Kemet with 2 again last night and it was quite tense and enjoyable. I just lament the fact that half the board goes unused...and knowing how dramatically the game improves even with just one more player...2-player Kemet just makes me wish I was playing 3-4 player Kemet instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Jordan.

Kemet seems really confrontational though, which I would put over secret agendas as a preference. Yet it is things like over half the board not being used which feels disappointing, and although you get to control some great monsters, do you feel that the minis are starting to show their age a little now?

Blood Rage is so polished and over produced even, & with the secret agendas, maybe this should be my number one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is very confrontational...I would say the most confrontational of all games on your list. So if that's the kind of experience that really energizes you and your son, I'd say it would be a great fit. Kemet kind of feels to me like a game of "surgical strikes". You simply cannot afford to let your opponent control temples for long, so you're constantly dropping troops in and kicking each other around. The teleportation makes this really interesting because it lets you rapidly mobilize and no temple is out of reach of any player. Your occupying forces could be attacked at any moment.

The Divine Intervention cards also add some fun, unpredictable moments, giving a sudden swell of troops, or rushes of movement, or weakening an enemy force right before you invade them. It's pretty cool.

Based on what you've told us about what you're looking for, I think I'd change my vote to suggest you pick up Kemet. It's got a lot of really neat design elements going for it and it's a very quick, mean, tug-of-war of a game.

Edit: Oh, on the subject of the minis: while the basic troops certainly aren't on the level of Blood Rage in size, detail and general quality, they are still excellent. Each player-color's soldiers are unique in pose, armament and overall aesthetic. The creature minis are just beautiful (and have a very light wash applied to them to bring out extra detail. The creature minis themselves are on the level of quality of the stuff you find in Blood Rage, so those pieces are a very nice addition to the game. Honestly, the whole of Kemet is very well-produced and full of incredible artistic quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the detail Jordan.

Yep, I think Kemet wins the day. Realistically I think it's going to have to be a January purchase, so in the meantime I may learn something more about Inis. Although, it's really only with the former we're going to get that amazing confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Blood Rage is so polished and over produced even, & with the secret agendas, maybe this should be my number one?

Kemet hasn't clicked for me despite it being one that should. Blood Rage has balance issues though. The ship loop just needs to be tracked and taken care of and the double glory for quest card has me dropping a rather loved game much lower in my personal rankings as of late. For 2-players, I would look elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Matt.

Looking more & more positive for Kemet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.