$30.00
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which BGG forum would be most appropriate to post this in and are there any guidelines or BGG rules I should be aware of before doing so? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egosoft wrote:
Which BGG forum would be most appropriate to post this in and are there any guidelines or BGG rules I should be aware of before doing so? Thanks

Do you mean a raffle where you would sell raffle tickets or something like that? If you are trying to make money doing this, you have a lot of legal hoops to jump through before you even get to BGG rules on the matter.

That's (one of the reasons) why people here do the "games for geek gold" type of raffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, I would like to hold a free raffle for no money. The winner would receive the games for free and I would pay for the shipping as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One ticket please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tommy Dean, thank you for the interest. I was going to impose a few stipulations which I hadn't made public yet. I would like the winner to be an American active service man or woman, a veteran or a police officer. Preferably one residing in the contiguous U.S.A.. No offense to our Australian friends, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're singling out the most deserving.

Wouldn't the most deserving service people be the one's residing somewhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
And no, there's no rules.

Just make a post saying you're giving free shit away. People do it often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
[url][/url]
scifiantihero wrote:
While we're singling out the most deserving.

Wouldn't the most deserving service people be the one's residing somewhere else?

The main reason for keeping it local (the Lower 48) was to keep shipping costs down. Besides the games themselves I'll be throwing in a dice tray, sleeves etc. which is going to be quite heavy, so that was the impetus behind limiting it to the contiguous U.S..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
And no, there's no rules.

Just make a post saying you're giving free shit away. People do it often.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egosoft wrote:
Tommy Dean, thank you for the interest. I was going to impose a few stipulations which I hadn't made public yet. I would like the winner to be an American active service man or woman, a veteran or a police officer. Preferably one residing in the contiguous U.S.A.. No offense to our Australian friends, of course.

Why the fascination with violence? Not into firemen, paramedics, or teachers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pharmakon wrote:
Egosoft wrote:

Why the fascination with violence? Not into firemen, paramedics, or teachers?

Lol, no, no preoccupation with violence. I just feel these particular civil servants are especially deserving of our thanks and appreciation. But now that you mention it... firemen and women do put their lives on the line as well so I will make sure they get a chance to add their names to the raffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tania Morris
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
How would someone prove their status to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
morrist2502 wrote:
How would someone prove their status to you?

We are working on the honor system. As long as you say you are what you purport to be, that's good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the interest in giving your stuff away? I have seen sudden generosity precede self-destructive behavior in the past. If that's the case, as a combat veteran, I can tell you I'd rather you got help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Why the interest in giving your stuff away? I have seen sudden generosity precede self-destructive behavior in the past. If that's the case, as a combat veteran, I can tell you I'd rather you got help.

Thank you for the concern, but it's really just a good hearted gesture on my part. Although I love to play board games I have found little time to actually do so, and so all of these games are just collecting dust on the shelf. I would much rather see them put to use and enjoyed by someone and their family than to just sit on a shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can make it super easy for you.

I work in a very poor school district in the middle of Colorado. I run an after school game club and I have about 50 kids that are in my game club, about 25 show up regularly. I have had it going for 12 years now.

I am not military, but I have dedicated my life to making America a better place by educating the people that live here. And many of my students will go on to be in the military.

I am not asking for the games for myself, but to be used in the game club itself.

I realize that isn't exactly what you are going for, but the donation would get used by lots of people.

Either way thanks for the consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Jerry, that sounds like a very good cause for sure, and I am half tempted to donate them to you but my heart was really set on giving thanks to our service men and women if at all possible. Without getting too political about it, I feel this country's service members aren't getting the appreciation they deserve so that's how I decided on my initial idea.

I don't want to appear as a jingoistic jerk, but it would make me feel good to know that the games will go to a cause that's near and dear to me. I hope that makes sense, and thank you for asking, it sounds like you are a great person doing our community great good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So which sub forum on the Geek would be best to announce the free raffle in?

Also, for those who are curious and asked privately, what I am raffling away is my modest board game collection. Everything I plan to raffle away is listed in my collection list, 21 games at the present along with a few expansions and misc. gaming supplies like a Koplow dice tray, card sleeves etc..

I will post an official announcement in a new thread as soon as I find out which forum would be most appropriate. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik J
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Navy side, one option would be to donate them to the MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) committees on a few ships (2-3 games per ship, for example). You could get in touch with them fairly easily via e-mail to see if people would be interested. Usually good contacts for that sort of thing would be "ombudsman@xxx##.navy.mil" or "cmc@xxx##.navy.mil" (cmc = Command Master Chief, the senior enlisted representative of the unit) where xxx## is the unit identifier, which is public info. For example, if you do a web search for USS George Washington it tells you at the top of the search results that it is CVN 73, so the cmc would be cmc@cvn73.navy.mil. There are lots of smaller ships than carriers (CVNs) or big-deck amphibs (LHDs) that have decent-sized crews that might benefit, such as the DDGs (destroyers), CGs (cruisers), or LSDs (small-deck amphibs). Subs have smaller crews but they are a lot more isolated and in need of entertainment, so that might be a good option too. E-mail saying you would be interested in donating some board games to the ship, and would like to be put in touch with the MWR representative.

I donated a few games, like Carcassonne and King of Tokyo, to my last ship's MWR and it went-over well.

Just my two cents. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Young
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
theedj wrote:
On the Navy side, one option would be to donate them to the MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) committees on a few ships (2-3 games per ship, for example). You could get in touch with them fairly easily via e-mail to see if people would be interested. Usually good contacts for that sort of thing would be "ombudsman@xxx##.navy.mil" or "cmc@xxx##.navy.mil" (cmc = Command Master Chief, the senior enlisted representative of the unit) where xxx## is the unit identifier, which is public info. For example, if you do a web search for USS George Washington it tells you at the top of the search results that it is CVN 73, so the cmc would be cmc@cvn73.navy.mil. There are lots of smaller ships than carriers (CVNs) or big-deck amphibs (LHDs) that have decent-sized crews that might benefit, such as the DDGs (destroyers), CGs (cruisers), or LSDs (small-deck amphibs). Subs have smaller crews but they are a lot more isolated and in need of entertainment, so that might be a good option too. E-mail saying you would be interested in donating some board games to the ship, and would like to be put in touch with the MWR representative.

I donated a few games, like Carcassonne and King of Tokyo, to my last ship's MWR and it went-over well.

Just my two cents. :-)

Wow, this sounds like a really great idea actually. It would be donating to a bunch of service members all at once. I think I will try to contact MWR first and that would save me the trouble of hosting a raffle.

Thank you for the idea Erik. I will keep you posted and let you know how that works out. I think it's a wonderful idea. Much appreciation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Egosoft wrote:
Hi Jerry, that sounds like a very good cause for sure, and I am half tempted to donate them to you but my heart was really set on giving thanks to our service men and women if at all possible. Without getting too political about it, I feel this country's service members aren't getting the appreciation they deserve so that's how I decided on my initial idea.

I don't want to appear as a jingoistic jerk, but it would make me feel good to know that the games will go to a cause that's near and dear to me. I hope that makes sense, and thank you for asking, it sounds like you are a great person doing our community great good.

So why not split the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
From a site perspective - as long as it's not to promote a product or service and is free to take part then it's fine.

Community Rules and if in doubt contact the Community Manager: Octavian.

If you're in a good place and want to share it with others more power to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.