Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all keeping safe and warm in this freezing November. Unless you’re lucky enough to live in one of those lovely, warm countries drinking cool cocktails in the sun. In which case spare a thought for us poor saps, sipping our half pints of Baileys to keep our cockles burning.

Digital Files Approved!

So you may remember that last month we submitted the files to print and I was quite jubilant about it (and still am). Panda have given our files a thorough going-over, and we’ve asked each other lots of questions to make sure everything is just right and the art, graphics, tokens, rules and box layout are perfect - we even bought a UPC code so it’s all official now. We may have bought more than one, you know, to future-proof ourselves…

There was a minor issue with a few of the wooden token samples. Some of them felt a little small to me, not Through The Ages 3rd edition small, but small enough that I’ve had Panda increase the size of a portion of them - in some cases by up to 50% - in order to give them more heft. This will obviously be at no extra cost to your good selves, so consider it a free component upgrade as my thanks for your continuing patience. Why am I doing this when it makes no business sense? Because it’s my first adventure into this world, and I’m still in love with it all. Next Kickstarter I’ll treat you like an annoying ex and all you’ll get is four matchsticks, a hand-drawn playing card and 2 one-sided dice in a plastic bag... ;-) But for now, lap it up, when this game arrives I want you actively looking for faults and being thoroughly disappointed that there aren’t any!

And now Panda are going to produce a prototype of the beautiful game and send it to me. I couldn’t wait of course, so like the good old days I printed off the pdfs and cut and sleeved a PnP of it all by myself. Except when I got tired and asked the indefatigable Mrs ND to take over because of her nimbler and more patient fingers. Here’s a photo of the glorious results:

A new prototype of an old friend...

I could tell you of the Dark Elf Priestess’ Saga against the Deacon of Betrayal that night, but you’ll be discovering all of that stuff for yourselves soon enough.

So what’s next?

The prototype arrives, I approve it, and then production begins. This is where all the other companies start their second Kickstarter and ask you to trust them that it’s all good. But I already went and told you I’m not going to do that because as a backer I’d feel miffed if a creator did that to me.

So let’s all wait together. I have a team putting together the next not-remotely-secret project right now, and what that means is that once you have your copies of the game, I’ll hit ‘Go’ on the next project and WHEN we fund we will be roughly 100% further along than we were with this project. Imagine that? No year/s long wait, no waiting for proofs and approvals, and everything else, you back the game, we go into production, you get your copy, boom.

Address Surveys!

Almost all of you have filled these in now, some of you diligently updating as you move house. But some of you cool kids are still sitting at the back of the bus, or maybe you never caught the bus because you were too busy smoking and wearing shades, but there may come a day when you think, ‘I should probably have got the bus and filled in my address details’. Just sayin’... We're still awaiting address details from:

15 Hero Backers,

and 4 Legend Backers

Rules!

I know we’ll have a tonne of rules questions once the game lands, but if you’re so inclined to start swotting up now so you can impress your friends with your eldritch knowledge of the game you can grab the rules here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9eLDYUtUrycM19YTUI2QUtLbU...

These rules of course were lovingly and brilliantly compiled by the very excellent Patrick Brennan whom some of you may recognise as the rules editor for a little game that came out recently called Arkham Horror: The Card Game. Yet another reminder of the pursuit of excellent talent we’ve adhered to in the production of this game. We here at the GoK party may be few in number, but by heck we’re standing on the shoulders of giants!

Comments, Collaboration, Community!

Speaking of giants, another gigantic thanks to all of you still chattering away here on the message boards about life, the universe and everything - but mostly gaming - as Nick says it’s our happy place (once again) and I’m chuffed and spiritually richer (and financially poorer - watch out for those game recommendations, they come thick and fast) because of it.

The Future!

I mentioned 1066, Tears To Many Mothers in the last update (and have hinted strongly at it in this update) and that’s the next stop on this journey if you’d like to continue with us. I’m looking at the games coming out right now and I’m biting my tongue until GoK lands about the quality, consistency and clarity of some of these titles that have come through my door just to sit on my shelf in a barely playable state, and for all you know this is a valid concern for you to have about my game. Once my game arrives and you put those fears to bed, I will continue to assure you that you’re only getting complete, epic and beautiful projects from Hall Or Nothing Productions. That’s our working title now. Patrick Brennan has already dusted off the complete rules set for 1066, Daz Marks has stepped up to take a full handle on the graphics, and the incomparable Ania Kryczkowska is already delivering the goods in spectacular fashion, so you’re in good hands once again.

Until next time, enjoy the mulled wine, hot meats/cheeses and Christmas markets, and if the shop/pop music starts to get you down, remember that Dean Martin and the Rat Pack did Christmas proper justice.

Let it snow, y’all!

T xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet baby Jesus on a pogo stick! Just took a quick peek at the rules and they look as slick as a frog's buttcrack! Wow. Amazing. Just amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

This is where all the other companies start their second Kickstarter and ask you to trust them that it’s all good. But I already went and told you I’m not going to do that because as a backer I’d feel miffed if a creator did that to me.

Patrick Brennan has already dusted off the complete rules set for 1066, Daz Marks has stepped up to take a full handle on the graphics, and the incomparable Ania Kryczkowska is already delivering the goods in spectacular fashion, so you’re in good hands once again.

Sorry, but in your good-chap no-second-Kickstarter fervour you've gone and missed the 950th anniversary now. 951 isn't a nice round number, you'll have to wait 'til 2066...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
What you wan'me kill?
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone forgets to give you their address, feel free to use mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting updates on BGG for all the late backers Tristan!

The art on some of those location cards is truly stunning! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
I’ve had Panda increase the size of a portion of them - in some cases by up to 50% - in order to give them more heft.

Woot - hidden stretch goal unlocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Berjano
United Kingdom
Coventry
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great update Tristan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One quick thing I noticed, Tristan. The setup text says that each hero takes 4 enemy tokens, but the graphic shows 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jake Staines, d’oh! Ah well, 50 years will pass in no time... Right?
@Martin Moss, will do Martin!
@Andrew Cargill, thanks, and no problem – can’t believe I didn’t post them here from the outset…
@Joke Meister, sneaky stretch goal achievement level: ninja.
@Jesus Berjano, thanks mate!
@Jack, cheers Jack – I’ll check the final print files to see if we caught this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
This is where all the other companies start their second Kickstarter and ask you to trust them that it’s all good.

I do commend your method, but saying that all the other companies do that is simply not right. Some clearly do, but a lot agree with you that the focus should be on the current game, and that a second KS campaign shouldn't be launched before the first game is in the hands of the backers. I know, I worked with some of them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
This is where all the other companies start their second Kickstarter and ask you to trust them that it’s all good.

I do commend your method, but saying that all the other companies do that is simply not right. Some clearly do, but a lot agree with you that the focus should be on the current game, and that a second KS campaign shouldn't be launched before the first game is in the hands of the backers. I know, I worked with some of them...

Well I commend companies that do focus solely on the current game, Itai – it’s just a prevalent enough practice to define yet another positive element that sets this campaign apart for the backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
msg tools
Thanks for the update Tristan.
Question about 1066 tears to many mothers, will there be solo rules? As I remember someone posted solo rules and you said it looked interesting and you may consider it? (just wondering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:
Thanks for the update Tristan.
Question about 1066 tears to many mothers, will there be solo rules? As I remember someone posted solo rules and you said it looked interesting and you may consider it? (just wondering

Yep - we're already developing the solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.