Jake Gatterer
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With the (semi) recent advent of some distributors increasing the selling price of games to online retailers in an effort to drive more sales to FLGS, it has got me thinking...

I understand that this is a sound "business" policy for them, seeing as they will make more money and probably not lose any sales, but if they REALLY wanted to increase game purchases at brick-and-mortar stores, all they would have to do is release the game a month or two in advance to physical retailers.

This may create an inflated aftermarket for those people who cannot actually get to a physical store, and it may actually cut into companies profits, so there isn't a feasible way this would ever happen, but it sure would help sell games at stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
well I think it's mostly the game companies themselves making these policies, not distributors.

your suggestion only affects things like x-wing/netrunner.

it doesn't affect things like settlers or ticket to ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How bout the local store earn my business....

I'm dead serious about it. My FLGS is anything but friendly. Most the time they forget to order my special order, once they do, they forgot to order all of it. They never have the game i actually want at the time (oh, they have everything else - just not it).

Now that it's under new management, i'll check it out more. I'm not gonna lie, price is a big deal to me. A 37% plus discount goes along way to secure my loyalty...but more then that, when I order something from CSI...I get it. That is why i say CSI IS my FLGS...they just happen to be in Florida while i'm in Utah. If they want to expand....i'll be there to help them move into the premises.

If my local store wants my patronage, they need to remove the price disadvantage with actual customer service...the new management/owners have been doing that...so, we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, price is a big deal to me. A 37% plus discount goes along way to secure my loyalty...

This.

I try to buy games at my FLGS when it's closeish to the online prices, as to support, but when the prices get too far apart it gets tougher to justify.

It's like the "made in America" dilemma. Ask people, do you want to buy made in America products? "Yes, absolutely!" Do you want to pay 25% more? "No thanks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.S. Bridges
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little off topic, but I have to get this diatribe out of the way...
I have 5 "F"LGS in my area.
Two are pretty dirty/smelly in general.

All but one have vastly mediocre/non-existant/horrible customer service. The one that does have customer service has almost no games and caters to Pokemon/Magic players which is not my thing.

All but one price things at MSRP. The one that does try to meet internet prices never has anything in stock anyone wants and the 3-5 people who are "working" in the store are not very interested in actually selling you anything. I literally stood at the register and looked at 2 employees once for almost 5 minutes (yes I timed it) with product in hand, ready to purchase, and it seemed that it was not in their interest to stop sorting Magic cards to ring me up.

I dont really understand this need to help any FLGS. It seems some run ok in spite of themselves and the others are scrapping along enough on comic books/collectible card games so they dont care.

For all the people out there who complain they have no store in their area, it really dosnt matter. I have FIVE! Five stores that really dont offer my anything I cant get through a little research and then save %20-%40+ online. I know it sounds a little emotionless, but I dont feel any of the 5 stores in my area really deserve my business. I spend about $1k on games a year. I have several friends in my game groups that do the same or more. I would say that all my gaming friends (20+)combined spend upwards of $12-15k a year on games. None of us go to any store in the area. It's not worth my time and effort to try and support the stores.

I just said all of that as way to say that I dont really care about "pricing wars" or whatever any company has thought up to make an extra dollar. I dont care what helps the FLGS. The stores dont seem to care, so why should we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
How bout the local store earn my business....

I'm dead serious about it. My FLGS is anything but friendly. Most the time they forget to order my special order, once they do, they forgot to order all of it. They never have the game i actually want at the time (oh, they have everything else - just not it).

Now that it's under new management, i'll check it out more. I'm not gonna lie, price is a big deal to me. A 37% plus discount goes along way to secure my loyalty...but more then that, when I order something from CSI...I get it. That is why i say CSI IS my FLGS...they just happen to be in Florida while i'm in Utah. If they want to expand....i'll be there to help them move into the premises.

If my local store wants my patronage, they need to remove the price disadvantage with actual customer service...the new management/owners have been doing that...so, we'll see.

If they seem open to ideas, my FLGS has a 20% discount on pre-orders. They can do that because the pre-orders don't really create overhead or cash-flow problems, so they give up some of their markup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

If they seem open to ideas, my FLGS has a 20% discount on pre-orders. They can do that because the pre-orders don't really create overhead or cash-flow problems, so they give up some of their markup.

That's a good idea! I think we'll start doing that in my store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm sure this topic hasn't been discussed to death multiple times already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Gatterer
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea, I should have specified. That "F" is reallly important!

If you have an UNfriendly local game store, than it's really tough to actually want to go there, no matter what kind of prices they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure this topic hasn't been discussed to death multiple times already.

Sorry, we'll make sure to check with you next time if a topic has meet your personal thresholds for "enough".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Barronmore wrote:
A 37% plus discount goes along way to secure my loyalty...

If a LGS was to do that they would be making around 5 bucks on a $50 game. The reason a place like CSI can do that is they work out deals with distributors/publishers to give them a lower price if they buy XXXX copies of their game AND they sell 100x more copies than your LGS does.

My thing is you should not support your LGS just to support them. Now if they offer things like good customer service, weekly events, free play space, etc then all of those add value to you supporting them and should be taken into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more time I spend playing games at my FLGS the more money I will spend at my FLGS. For me it is as simple as that one huge factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyRobot11 wrote:
if they REALLY wanted to increase game purchases at brick-and-mortar stores, all they would have to do is release the game a month or two in advance to physical retailers.

I don't think punishing online stores directly is a great idea. Encouraging physical stores would be better. Make it possible for them to have more discounts or something. Anything!

If there was a group of businesses in need of punishment, it would be the distributors.

The one used by our FLGS is atrocious. Nobody knows when games arrive, how much, if two simultaneous releases from one publisher will arrive together, or at all.

I can order from the UK and receive something weeks ahead of the LGS, far too often even the aforementioned month or two (or worse). Reading about upcoming releases here on these forums makes me sad. I know it'll be a different season by the time most games/add-ons arrive.

CapeFearGames wrote:
Now if they offer things like good customer service, weekly events, free play space, etc then all of those add value to you supporting them and should be taken into account.

Mine has all of those things, which somewhat balances out the insane prices we have over here. The game room is mostly hogged by MtG players though. If there's any demoing or other games they're usually not arranged by the store, or well-advertised.

This is a bloody expensive country, but the markup on some games is well beyond what's reasonable. We had a nice Black Friday sale with a great store-wide discount. Legendary games went below $70. Amazing, right? Sadly, that's where buying it before they come to their senses is the correct thing to do. Regular prices are about $95 to $105 :/

Some $30 MSRP items can be put on the shelf for $70+, others for $35-40. Then there are $40 items priced at $60. There's no system to it, just arbitrary price stickers picked as the boxes slowly arrive.

Shipping costs can't be the only explanation. Bulk shipping can get the per-item costs way down. Is it any wonder I prefer foreign online stores?

Looking for people to blame - inquire within
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.