Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Pinup/Promos value rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm really interested in KDM. And I can't argue that there's a lot of freaking content in the box, or that the prices are great. I'm kinda eyeing jumping up to one of the more insane pledge level.

Only thing is that I really have no interest in well, non gameplay content (at this time- some of the figures in the store looked amazing, but i'm assuming the pariah and mountain man aren't counted as pinup/promos. Actually, what's the diffence? I've seen a lot of pin ups so far, but is any of the new content labeled as Promo yet?)

If i jump to one of the insane 'gotta-have-them-all' pledges for the sake of having all the expansions and content, is there any secondary market for the non-gameplay stuff, to offset that? Or should I just grab the ancient lantern and add each new expansion as i see it and hope it really doesn't total +700 for new stuff.

Okay, saying that for any other game would sound outright ridiculous- but I really have no idea what to expect here, and am used to seeing the core game alone going for 800+ (Though I imagine post 1.5 ks distribution, it's going to be a lot more reasonable- another couple thousand people buying their copies, and more for retail after the fact)

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyborgKoala wrote:
I'm really interested in KDM. And I can't argue that there's a lot of freaking content in the box, or that the prices are great. I'm kinda eyeing jumping up to one of the more insane pledge level.

Only thing is that I really have no interest in well, non gameplay content (at this time- some of the figures in the store looked amazing, but i'm assuming the pariah and mountain man aren't counted as pinup/promos. Actually, what's the diffence? I've seen a lot of pin ups so far, but is any of the new content labeled as Promo yet?)

If i jump to one of the insane 'gotta-have-them-all' pledges for the sake of having all the expansions and content, is there any secondary market for the non-gameplay stuff, to offset that? Or should I just grab the ancient lantern and add each new expansion as i see it and hope it really doesn't total +700 for new stuff.

Okay, saying that for any other game would sound outright ridiculous- but I really have no idea what to expect here, and am used to seeing the core game alone going for 800+ (Though I imagine post 1.5 ks distribution, it's going to be a lot more reasonable- another couple thousand people buying their copies, and more for retail after the fact)

Any thoughts?

You don't need to make that decision until the end of the campaign. Grab the top spot you want and sit there until everything has been revealed and do some math.

That being said, there is currently (or at least prior to this kickstarter/announcement) a huge secondary market for everything KDM. Even now you can see KDM on ebay selling for ridiculous amounts. I think it's assumed there will be a healthy second hand market after this kickstarter as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in at the $777 level, so I get all new expansions, promos, and pinups.

The pinups don't actually interest me, so once they arrive I will simply resell. I guarantee they will sell for at least $15 each, likely more ($25 each), so I expect to make a little money back.

The promo figs usually come with gear and event cards, and I'm really into collecting all gameplay content, so these have value for me. Usually the promo figs are really cool and dynamic, so I like to keep and build them. But I have some promo figs that came with cards I don't like - I decided to keep the cards and sell the models, which can still go for $10 or $15 even without the promo card(s).

And of course the expansions are must-have and I will own every one that ever comes out EVER BWHAHAHAHA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you should plan on selling an content at the price they've sold for in the past. This KS will flood the market with a ton of miniatures, which should drive prices down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I idn't mean to imply i was looking at selling anything at scalping price- more that if i did pick up one of the insane satan pledges, if i could unload some of the pinups to make up the difference, instead of picking up the 'all old expansion' and adding more content to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selling stuff on eBay is a hassle...there will be some dedicated scalpers that will be selling. A few people that finally get the game but really need the money. Most people will talk about needing to sell and how they need to get to it. Some people might even decide to keep them after all. Even with the huge response this KS is getting its still pretty niche in the grand scheme of things. I don't think you will have a hard time moving the pinups at cost and if your can hold off you might even get retail prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although not being official parts of the game, I don't see why they shouldn't be made part of it.

With all the spare parts from the base game they can easily be converted into playing pieces. They usually come with a much more dynamic pose then the armor set models.

On the other hand I'm not much into the paper thin political correctness bigotry transferred onto them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham S
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realize that the new pin-ups are probably not going to sell as easily as they do now but do people think that the old KS stuff that comes in the 1666 pledge will still sell for a good value since its only in that tier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
I'm in at the $777 level, so I get all new expansions, promos, and pinups.

The pinups don't actually interest me, so once they arrive I will simply resell. I guarantee they will sell for at least $15 each, likely more ($25 each), so I expect to make a little money back.

The promo figs usually come with gear and event cards, and I'm really into collecting all gameplay content, so these have value for me. Usually the promo figs are really cool and dynamic, so I like to keep and build them. But I have some promo figs that came with cards I don't like - I decided to keep the cards and sell the models, which can still go for $10 or $15 even without the promo card(s).

And of course the expansions are must-have and I will own every one that ever comes out EVER BWHAHAHAHA!

Same for me. I won't sell the pinups though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One thing to consider:

There's always a market for sexy female minis. That they're part of the KD brand will help them move possibly, but they'll move regardless.

I'm more curious if the market is there for sexy male minis to be honest. For all the talk I've seen of people wanting equity/equality/naked men, I'm willing to bet the second hand market won't be as supportive.

Personally though.... I'm toying with ways to make the pinups useful in a campaign. Maybe let them die in the place of a survivor outside of combat, but only if you have the pinup assembled.

Enh.

Anyway, I think there should be some sort of incentive to use them as a (small) mechanical edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for reference I've been following current ebay listings on the pinups.

one of the 8 packs of the pinups of death with box and promos just ran a full 30 day buy it now listing for $149 and ended without any buyers. that's an average of just over $15 each with promos that it didn't fetch.

now consider selling them 1 each at $15. that's 1.50 ebay fee, .45 PayPal free and if you're lucky $6 flay rate shipping. netting you about $7 after all the hassle on the ones you are able to sell. seems risky to me. also you might get stuck paying $2 each shipping through the kickstarter. now you're looking at $5 each for the ones people want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Judge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Dee Jota wrote:
One thing to consider:

There's always a market for sexy female minis. That they're part of the KD brand will help them move possibly, but they'll move regardless.

I'm more curious if the market is there for sexy male minis to be honest. For all the talk I've seen of people wanting equity/equality/naked men, I'm willing to bet the second hand market won't be as supportive.

Personally though.... I'm toying with ways to make the pinups useful in a campaign. Maybe let them die in the place of a survivor outside of combat, but only if you have the pinup assembled.

Enh.

Anyway, I think there should be some sort of incentive to use them as a (small) mechanical edge.

Agree with everything you've stated. I'm signed up for the Satan Lantern so I have a ton of pinups coming that I don't care for. However, I've also been toying (no pun intended) with the idea of making them useful to the campaign somehow. Let us know if you come up with anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game gets more and more actual content, it seems the content-less minis have generally seen a reduced interest, as JB noted. With the huge number of people getting the inclusive levels who probably don't care about the pinups, I'm expecting a glut when the KS arrives and a less-than-fantastic market for sellers (unlike the previous KS where you needed to actively purchase them).

Personally, I'm hoping to get a few pinups I like (currently the DBK pinup with wings, maybe others) for a good deal then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.