Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang, I've been enjoying a solitaire variant of Kanagawa, so I thought I'd share the rules with you. It plays nice and quickly and keeps the gameplay pretty much the same. I hope you enjoy this variant....

SETUP
1. place School as normal.
2. Assistant Pawn starts in the reserve (remove the GM pawn from the game, we don't need it).
3. Take a random starting tile and 2 brushes as normal
4. shuffle a deck of 36 Lesson cards. Remove the rest from the game, we don't need them.
5. sort Diplomas as normal

ROUND
1. FOLLOW THE TEACHINGS OF THE MASTER
At the start of a round, add a row of three cards to the school (as per a 3-player game), face-up or face-down according to the instructions on the space, on the top-most empty row. Note: add no cards if there is no empty row.

2. PUT IT INTO PRACTICE
You must now:
Choose a column of Lesson cards from the School,
Continue your work,
Take the corresponding Diploma(s)

3. NEW LESSON
- If you do not have the Assistant pawn, then discard all cards from the School and start a new round.
- If you have the Assistant pawn, immediately discard it and start the next round (without clearing the school).

The GAME ENDS only once you end a round and the Lesson deck is empty.
Score as per normal, except you get 2 points if you ended the final round with the Assistant.

Try to get more than 40 points. Why not post your scores here and see how we do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky, I'm a little confused on this. Do I understand correctly that you are never able to broaden your knowledge (add cards to the second or third rows) in this variant? The way I read it, regardless of whether you have the assistant or not, you clear the school and start a new round.

EDIT: Or could it be that the only way you add cards to the rows is if you improve your studio in a way that gets you the assistant? I could see that as an interesting strategic element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Ricky, I'm a little confused on this. Do I understand correctly that you are never able to broaden your knowledge (add cards to the second or third rows) in this variant? The way I read it, regardless of whether you have the assistant or not, you clear the school and start a new round.

EDIT: Or could it be that the only way you add cards to the rows is if you improve your studio in a way that gets you the assistant? I could see that as an interesting strategic element.

good question, but the school ONLY clears if you do not hold the Assistant. So yes, you broaden your knowledge by grabbing the Assistant. If you can do this two rounds in a row, then you can fill down to row 3.

I've reworded to make this clearer by adding "without clearing the school"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, then I played it correctly. Good stuff. The twist of having to gain the assistant to broaden your knowledge seems minor, but it really adds a nice strategic element. I ended up with 31 points in my first attempt. Thanks for coming up with this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sizzla wrote:
Great, then I played it correctly. Good stuff. The twist of having to gain the assistant to broaden your knowledge seems minor, but it really adds a nice strategic element. I ended up with 31 points in my first attempt. Thanks for coming up with this!

Hope you continue to enjoy it !

The Assistant rule was a real lightbulb moment building this design. Thanks for trying it out!

Long live Basil The Rat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyro19 wrote:
Do you return the assistant pawn after you add new cards to the board in this variant or is it yours until the end of the game?

I think it is returned. Sort of a 'payment' to allow you to not have to clear all the current cards on the mat when you start a new round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony R
United States
Sylva
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it in the rules just now. My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Richards
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
40 does seem a magic number.
My last 4 games were 39-39-39-40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
Hi gang, I've been enjoying a solitaire variant of Kanagawa, so I thought I'd share the rules with you. It plays nice and quickly and keeps the gameplay pretty much the same. I hope you enjoy this variant....

Try to get more than 40 points. Why not post your scores here and see how we do?

I got a score of 43, but probably had an undeserved advantage because I used cards of only two types. Here is my playthrough description: Mark's Kanagawa playthrough on SGOYT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
storkace wrote:
40 does seem a magic number.
My last 4 games were 39-39-39-40.

Good work !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game sitting on my shelf. Would this variant be a good way to learn the game before introducing it to others, or should I play with others first and then enjoy this variant myself later on? Or does it not matter either way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
I have this game sitting on my shelf. Would this variant be a good way to learn the game before introducing it to others, or should I play with others first and then enjoy this variant myself later on? Or does it not matter either way?

You can enjoy this solo first if you wish. There are some rule changes to accommodate solo play, but for the most part the game is played the same way, do would be a good way to learn the game concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice variant for a cool little game. Just tried it and scored 37. I played really risky trying to get the highest point diplomas. Thanks for putting this together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had this arrive and wanted to test it out so used these rules. Thanks for putting them together!

I worry that I must have missed something though, as at the end of my first solo game my score was 52. Did I just get very lucky?

My strategy was to grab the assistant token wherever possible to avoid discarding cards from the school. As you can see in the attached photo, I had grabbed the assistant 11 times by the end of the game. This meant that by the end of the game I had only discarded 8 cards out of the 36 random cards I started with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
certainly looks like you got lucky! It happens sometimes, that the school mostly has an assistant in it, but it is unusual.

But, more than that, it looks like you timed your Diplomas really well - i.e. you weren't tempted to take them until you could max them out. That is not luck; that is skill and very well played.

12 lesson cards in the print
2 lesson cards in the longest sequence
12 VPs on cards in Studio/Print
24 VPs on Diplomas, though I wonder if it should only be 21? (see below)

Total: 50, 52 if you ended with the Assistant, and 49 if the below is true...

I only see 3 paint pots in the studio... does that one that hasn't been played count ? I assumed it didn't count until it was actually in the Studio...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
certainly looks like you got lucky! It happens sometimes, that the school mostly has an assistant in it, but it is unusual.

But, more than that, it looks like you timed your Diplomas really well - i.e. you weren't tempted to take them until you could max them out. That is not luck; that is skill and very well played.

12 lesson cards in the print
2 lesson cards in the longest sequence
12 VPs on cards in Studio/Print
24 VPs on Diplomas, though I wonder if it should only be 21? (see below)

Total: 50, 52 if you ended with the Assistant, and 49 if the below is true...

I only see 3 paint pots in the studio... does that one that hasn't been played count ? I assumed it didn't count until it was actually in the Studio...?

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that I was playing correctly!

The longest sequence is four with the two storm wild cards (at the end). And given that you can freely play any paintbrush that isn't presently on a studio card during your turn, I don't think it matters, but we can assume that I placed it on a card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Dux
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't have to place the brushes in your studio to get the diploma with brushes. They could be next to your studio waiting for you use it, but they count for the diploma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the clarifications! Champion cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nguyen
msg tools
mbmbmb
just want to be clarified here:
when I take 1 row/card with Assistant pawn, does that keep fill up like other row on the next round,because of 'no cleaning' rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andypro92 wrote:
just want to be clarified here:
when I take 1 row/card with Assistant pawn, does that keep fill up like other row on the next round,because of 'no cleaning' rule?

correct

e.g.

if the board looks like this:

then I take a card with the Assistant, so the board looks like this:

then, after playing this card to my studio and grabbing the Assistance pawn, the next round the board will look like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.