Magic Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Productive Dwarf(?), Cannot Sneak Away While Hidden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized a "gotcha" associated with the "Productive Dwarf" option rule that allows the dwarf more than 2 phases to use for non-movement activities.

I often find myself, while slinking around the Realm at least one H phase everyday, summoning monsters to my clearing while I am hidden. Unless I am in the mountains, this is not such a big deal. If I do not wish to fight, I just make sure I move away from that clearing for the very first phase of the day, then record two hides, then do whatever else I needed to do.

But, with the productive dwarf, if you summon monsters to your clearing and you are hidden, you cannot move away the next day. That's because you need two M phases to just move one clearing, and you become blocked after only the first phase is passed, leaving the dwarf now unhidden and blocked in the clearing with the monster.

Actually, this may occur even if you are NOT playing with the optional Productive Dwarf rule, I don't know. In any case, wow, big downside for the dwarf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
just one more reason to not use that rule (never really liked it in the first place, so this is fine with me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
In this situation, you would have to run away during combat. That way, you are actually between clearings and will be free to spend two move phases in safety.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
only works in one direction. unless you were in that clearing for a turn before the monsters showed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not familiar with optional rule, but should the Dwarf (or any character) do a Hide first the next day when in a Clearing with a Monster?

It is fine he could do more than 2 actions a day with this rule, but I do not think a base rule is superseded with that optional rule. Moving in Mountains always required 2 move actions to move to he next Clearing. Why has that not changed as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Good idea to run away that evening and spend two phases the next day hiding.

Carel, yes the dwarf can do a hide for his first phase the next day, but I try not to let so much depend on a single Hide roll unless absolutely necessary. If I know it's a fight I'd rather avoid, then I definitely try to do at least two hide phases. As it is, I did attempt to hide that first phase and failed, and got stuck fighting the two ghosts, which can be especially deadly with the optional combat rules when the flip to their L2 sides.

I ended up walking away from the fight with only a wound and damaged helmet, and was able to slink away the next morning.

Here's the optional rule in Realmspeak:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
only works in one direction. unless you were in that clearing for a turn before the monsters showed up.

Which is not a problem if the goal is to avoid the fight. You can't have everything if you run away.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diggy18 wrote:
Carel, yes the dwarf can do a hide for his first phase the next day, but I try not to let so much depend on a single Hide roll unless absolutely necessary. If I know it's a fight I'd rather avoid, then I definitely try to do at least two hide phases. As it is, I did attempt to hide that first phase and failed, and got stuck fighting the two ghosts, which can be especially deadly with the optional combat rules when the flip to their L2 sides.

I ended up walking away from the fight with only a wound and damaged helmet, and was able to slink away the next morning.

I do not understand how you played, then.

With Monsters in your Clearing, if you Moved first, you will immediately be blocked by the monster and have combat in the Evening.
To avoid the Monster you have to hide first. It is necessary if you want to avoid Combat..

Think you played it wrong, in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berserker in peace
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question regarding Short Legs. I have never used the Dwarf in development games because it simply doesn't make sense to me. As Youngster he is as nimble as other humans or elves having 4 regular phases. But upon advancing (devolving?) to Smith his legs suddenly get shortened (ouch) because of this new "special advantage". Even though the rulebook says "his youthful energy offsets his short legs," I can't believe he ages that fast over the course of just a few weeks. Aren't dwarves supposed to have a (much) longer longevity than humans? This is the biggest unthematic aspect I've found in this great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
I do not understand how you played, then.

With Monsters in your Clearing, if you Moved first, you will immediately be blocked by the monster and have combat in the Evening.
To avoid the Monster you have to hide first. It is necessary if you want to avoid Combat..

Think you played it wrong, in the first place.

See rule 7.12.2. Characters can only be blocked by monsters at the end of the the character's first phase. A character who at Birdsong is in the same clearing as a monster basically gets one free phase - you can use that phase either to move away from the clearing, without hiding, or you can use that phase to hide. Without this free phase, hiding would be far less effective as any monsters that prowl to your clearing in the evening would effectively "find" you regardless of any hide rolls you may have succeeded that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 7.12.2 proves my point. (Monsters in the Clearing block any time).

Quote:
A character who at Birdsong is in the same clearing as a monster basically gets one free phase - you can use that phase either to move away from the clearing, without hiding, or you can use that phase to hide.

Where is this mentioned. It is not in the rules section 6.2.

It is a known fact that the Dwarf is hopeless in the Mountains: with 2 actions a day and moving into the mountains required 2 actions for 1 Move he has no extra action to hide. With Monsters around he gets stuck.

When hidden the Monsters will not find you and there will be no combat that evening. Prowling Monsters, though, move into the Clearing you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you have an older version of the rule book?

In the version I have, rule 7.12.2 paragraph a says, "Example: If he starts his turn in the same clearing with a monster, he can use his first phase to hide or move away, thus avoiding the block."

I'm looking at release 3.1 of the rules.

Monsters only block at the end of a phase, not any time. Slight distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the same rule book, but overread that line (have to check with the rule book I have, V1)

But in your OP you are talking about being in the Mountains, so that rule still applies on blocking, I think.

But what is the extra phase at Birdsong you talked about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter to remind you that your apartment's haunted.
badge
The first rule of chess club; Hide from fight club.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an extra phase. You have one phase to either hide or leave before you are blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.