Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Moffa
United States
Clementon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It reads: "Reduce the infection rate by 1 until the start of the current player's next turn...persistent effect."

Does this mean that the peg temporarily drops down one step on the infection rate track? Or is the amount of dice rolled reduced by 1 during the infection step?

Something else?

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jerseygamer wrote:
It reads: "Reduce the infection rate by 1 until the start of the current player's next turn...persistent effect."

Does this mean that the peg temporarily drops down one step on the infection rate track?

No. There is no "infection rate track"; just an *infection track*.

The infection rate is the number of infection dice drawn from the bag during Epidemics and the Infect Regions step. See the diagram on page 5 of the base game rules.

Quote:
Or is the amount of dice [drawn and] rolled reduced by 1 during the infection step?

Correct. From the base game rules, page 7, Infect Regions: "draw a number of dice equal to the *infection rate* from the infection bag (without looking at them) and roll them." (emphasis added)

So, if the infection rate has reduced by 1, then you draw and roll 1 fewer die from the bag than you would normally draw.

Note that the number of dice drawn and rolled during any Epidemic that occurs while this event is in play is also reduced by 1 (as that is based on the (new) infection rate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moffa
United States
Clementon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast response, Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is one of 2 cards I got baffled about and I'm not sure I posted the question (I'm getting a lot of timeouts when hitting submit and not just on these forums).

The way I see it, this is a persistent effect, so it remains in place for the whole round until the turn comes back to you. This means, at least this is the way I interpret it, that the travel ban immediately drops 1 level on the infection track and it drops 1 level with each player after you until the turn comes back to you and the card is discarded.

I can't see another interpretation since if it was a one-off, it wouldn't need to be a persistent effect card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GShock112 wrote:
this is a persistent effect, so it remains in place for the whole round until the turn comes back to you.

Correct.
Quote:
the travel ban immediately drops 1 level on the infection track

Incorrect. See my post above.

Quote:
it drops 1 level with each player after you until the turn comes back to you and the card is discarded.

Also incorrect.

Quote:
it wouldn't need to be a persistent effect card

It needs to be a persistent effect since it is reducing the infection ***rate***, not the current position of the infection syringe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:

It needs to be a persistent effect since it is reducing the infection ***rate***, not the current position of the infection syringe.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh that basically made us cheaters for winning one out of 6 games played so far AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

So let's recap. If I have a rate of 4 at my infection phase turn and play the Commercial Travel Ban, I won't move the needle but I will infect with only 3 dice. The card goes to me... then the turn goes to the next player... let's say he will roll a few outbreaks and the rate will increase to 5 dice. Will this player roll 5 or 4 dice since the event card is still active?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
GShock112 wrote:
If I have a rate of 4 at my infection phase turn and play the Commercial Travel Ban, I won't move the needle but I will infect with only 3 dice. The card goes to me... then the turn goes to the next player... let's say he will roll a few outbreaks and the rate will increase to 5 dice. Will this player roll 5 or 4 dice since the event card is still active?

4 (for both the outbreak and the infection on his turn, as also mentioned in my first post above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.