United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is legit news now, at least in Internet-land. Hate that they focused so much on the pinups and that pointless article from Bitch Media from four years ago.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/30/this-board-game-raised-1-mill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a reasonable article to me. The controversy can't be ignored in an article for a wider audience, and it gave Poots ample space to defend his position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For better or for worse, KD built its name on pinups, and hasn't divorced itself from them in this campaign. They've had ample opportunity since getting big to stop or downplay it, and they haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Seems like a reasonable article to me. The controversy can't be ignored in an article for a wider audience, and it gave Poots ample space to defend his position.

Oh I definitely appreciate that they reached out to him, and he defended himself well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I can't ever recall a time actually playing KDM when I would have described the world as either "sexy" or "apocalyptic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Khuz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Eh, I think it was a pretty bad article. It didn't describe the game well and it focused entirely on the controversy and not at all on the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Duder62 wrote:
Eh, I think it was a pretty bad article. It didn't describe the game well and it focused entirely on the controversy and not at all on the game itself.

That's what newspapers do.

So next time you read an article on a major newspaper about a subject you don't know anything about, just assume that part of it is false or misleading.

That's how it works .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
fighting off death in a sexy, apocalyptic world filled with monsters and pin-up-style art

Quite a program !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. R.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
badge
Miss! Does no damage to Liquid Metal Slime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Poots quote from article

Quote:
"Our pinups are inspired by famous artwork from the 60's and 70's. ...[]"

Anybody can answer about which artwork he is talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fantastical game, Exploding Kittens, raised $8.8 million last year

This line shows she knows noyhing about board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
Another fantastical game, Exploding Kittens, raised $8.8 million last year

This line shows she knows noyhing about board games.

I do not think she meant fantastic but rather steeped from imagination and not reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Boyeldieu
United Kingdom
Glasgow
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Migdolas wrote:
Poots quote from article

Quote:
"Our pinups are inspired by famous artwork from the 60's and 70's. ...[]"

Anybody can answer about which artwork he is talking about?

If you Google "1950s pin up", I think that's the style he means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly/why did Exploding Kittens receive $8.8 million? I played it. It doesn't have much in the box for an $8.8 million budget. The creator just pocket a few million for himself and skimp on the material?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Boyeldieu
United Kingdom
Glasgow
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
How exactly/why did Exploding Kittens receive $8.8 million? I played it. It doesn't have much in the box for an $8.8 million budget. The creator just pocket a few million for himself and skimp on the material?

220,000 backers paid an average of $40 for 2 decks: the main game, and the NSFW version. I personally wouldn't buy it, but the price doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
The question about how neccesary it is for this game (and the related Pin-ups) to depict women (alright there are a few male pin ups) in such a way is legit.
Although I personally don't have a problem with that, I kinda wished they would not focus on that so much. When I mail people the link to this KS I have to explain to them that the Pin-Ups have nothing to do with the actual game.
Of course you can argue the artistic value of almost nude women and men (is there such a discussion about 'Game of Thrones' in the US?).

Although there are more women in gaming (and miniature gaming) than a few years ago it's still a dominant male hobby. I'd go so far to say its a christian-white-male hobby.
In the EU (+UK) and the US we are the least discriminated people and thuis have to be more sensitive about discrimination.
Is this game sexist or artistic? I do not know but I can see how you could argue both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

220,000 backers paid an average of $40 for 2 decks: the main game, and the NSFW version. I personally wouldn't buy it, but the price doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

Its just such an "ungame" I can't believe it got $8.8 million whereas a real game like Kingdom Death hasn't beaten it yet. Its a little offensive to me that its the king of board/card games to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
...its a christian-white-male hobby.
In the EU (+UK) and the US we are the least discriminated people and thuis have to be more sensitive about discrimination.

Minus the Christian part, I would turn that around and say that the "white male" is the *most* discriminated group in the world. Every minority seems to have that group targeted as the "bad" group making it difficult for all the minorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

Its just such an "ungame" I can't believe it got $8.8 million whereas a real game like Kingdom Death hasn't beaten it yet. Its a little offensive to me that its the king of board/card games to date.

There's a few reasons why it's popular.

1. It's created by the guy who does The Oatmeal comics which is very well-known and recognizable, so he's able to reach a much broader audience.

2. Lots of people want to play a simpler game while drinking a few beers and not spend 20 minutes going over rules.

3. Not sure why you call it an "ungame." It may not be your cup of tea, but that's just your taste in games. It hits every metric needed to be a game; complicated rules aren't one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

The popularity of the Exploding Kittens KS had nothing to do with game play and everything to do with people being fans of The Oatmeal.

The popularity of Dark Souls, which was the number 2 board game KS a few days ago, had little to do with game play and was all about the popularity of the Dark Souls video game.

You can even look at the original Ghostbusters board game KS. People could watch a video to see the game play. Plenty of people posted they didn't like how the game played, but were backing because it was Ghostbusters.

In short, a good IP sells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandor wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

The popularity of the Exploding Kittens KS had nothing to do with game play and everything to do with people being fans of The Oatmeal.

The popularity of Dark Souls, which was the number 2 board game KS a few days ago, had little to do with game play and was all about the popularity of the Dark Souls video game.

You can even look at the original Ghostbusters board game KS. People could watch a video to see the game play. Plenty of people posted they didn't like how the game played, but were backing because it was Ghostbusters.

soon we will be the number 1, based on no pre existing ip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
godzilla999666 wrote:
Mandor wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

Well.... at this point KD is its own pre-existing IP. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
godzilla999666 wrote:
Mandor wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
theweefrenchman wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

Well.... at this point KD is its own pre-existing IP. whistle

...and it's why I backed. I wasn't sure about the staying power of the game, and the long-term balance, and spending this kind of money on Kickstarter without being sure of either of those isn't what I do any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

Minus the Christian part, I would turn that around and say that the "white male" is the *most* discriminated group in the world. Every minority seems to have that group targeted as the "bad" group making it difficult for all the minorities.

As long as I have not been stoped by the police or did not have problems finding a place to live or simply have been stared at just because of how I look I am not to worried about becoming a minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
rpvt wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

As long as I have not been stoped by the police or did not have problems finding a place to live or simply have been stared at just because of how I look I am not to worried about becoming a minority.

There are places it is downright dangerous to have light skin. And there are laws in the US that will bump "white" people in favor of others, regardless of selection criteria. If you are a business, you are better off being owned by a non-white male if you wish to sell/contract to the US government.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
There are places it is downright dangerous to have light skin. And there are laws in the US that will bump "white" people in favor of others, regardless of selection criteria. If you are a business, you are better off being owned by a non-white male if you wish to sell/contract to the US government.
What are you even talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.