Holy Roman Empire: The Thirty-Years War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J S Schreiner

Kirkland
Washington
msg tools
I may have missed the answers, but I have at least two rules questions after reading the rules:

1) What's the purpose of masking (12.2.1.2)? I can't find any further description of what it does. It doesn't appear to allow for a defeated army to retreat (e.g. I can't mask, move another province, and then retreat back to the masked province, as the masked province is not "controlled" by me). It also, as far as I can tell doesn't keep a masked garrison from leaving.

2) In what order are purchased units placed? Rule 6.5.4.2 says that units must be placed in Controlled states, but I wasn't clear on the order. There is advantage presumably in placing your troops last.

3) Am I correct that the "value" in conquering a province is two-fold:
first, it can be flipped to "Influenced" for a cost of 2,
second, it reduces an opponents income.
It doesn't preclude an opponent bidding on it (even the opponent you potentially just conquered it from the previous turn)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sage2 wrote:
I may have missed the answers, but I have at least two rules questions after reading the rules:

1) What's the purpose of masking (12.2.1.2)? I can't find any further description of what it does. It doesn't appear to allow for a defeated army to retreat (e.g. I can't mask, move another province, and then retreat back to the masked province, as the masked province is not "controlled" by me). It also, as far as I can tell doesn't keep a masked garrison from leaving.

17.2.1.2. Masking and besieging both allow other units to continue to move out of the province. Masking doesn't involve any further attempt to take the city, whereas siege does.

Quote:
2) In what order are purchased units placed? Rule 6.5.4.2 says that units must be placed in Controlled states, but I wasn't clear on the order. There is advantage presumably in placing your troops last.

Placement is simultaneous, per 6.1. Most groups insist that the placement orders be written.

Quote:
3) Am I correct that the "value" in conquering a province is two-fold:
first, it can be flipped to "Influenced" for a cost of 2,
second, it reduces an opponents income.
It doesn't preclude an opponent bidding on it (even the opponent you potentially just conquered it from the previous turn)

That is all correct, if you are referring only to conquering a province of a multi-province state. If you conquer a province that is represented by its own state card, then you would be able to (later) earn your own income from it.

Quote:
Thanks!

Thanks for your interest. I hope that you are able to get it to the table soon. It's an interesting game that deserves some table time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S Schreiner

Kirkland
Washington
msg tools
Thanks for the answers - one clarification --

"17.2.1.2. Masking and besieging both allow other units to continue to move out of the province. Masking doesn't involve any further attempt to take the city, whereas siege does."

Ignoring is also an option presented that also allows friendly units to continue move out of the province, correct? If so, why would you choose to "Ignore" vs. "Mask" -- is the advantage to masking that you can pursue a siege there later if you desire?

Since masking doesn't "conquer" a province, nor allow for a beaten army to retreat, I'm not clear on why it exists as differentiated from ignore.

As far as I can tell, it also doesn't keep the masked garrison from moving out to another province later as well (as they are not sieged)?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree that Siege may seem like a better choice than Mask in many circumstances. However, I think the four choices are clearly explained in the rules as to what differentiates them. It is up to the players to decide which option is most appropriate in a given circumstance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.