16 Posts

Talon» Forums » General

Subject: ways to correct/deal with the lamination? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so ive read numerous posts detailing different ways to deal with the seeming sub standard lamination issue on the counters.

i was wondering if we can make a list here, specifically detailing what worked best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Talk GMT into re releasing the original counters with the new finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT is already planning to reprint the game with what they say is improved lamination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since travelbug already has Talon listed as owned, I'm guessing a reprint isn't the best solution here.

That said, I haven't had any problems with the markers that came with the game. I also haven't played enough games that I would expect to see problems crop up.

My impression, though, was that different things were working for different people. Might depend on local humidity, might depend on factory variations in the lamination quality, might depend on the phase of the moon: the key thing is, I don't know that there's a single "what worked best". My advice is to do a little experimenting, and then stick with what is working best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
GMT is already planning to reprint the game with what they say is improved lamination.

Not feeling up to buying a new copy considering I already own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mine work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the current lamination is not working for you and you do not want to wait for replacement counters/game you can always apply a relatively simple DIY lamination - Clear book cover material. It is "sticky" so you might have to use some manual dexterity and patience during the process.

Best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
Same here. Mine work fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Quote:
My impression, though, was that different things were working for different people. Might depend on local humidity, might depend on factory variations in the lamination quality, might depend on the phase of the moon: the key thing is, I don't know that there's a single "what worked best". My advice is to do a little experimenting, and then stick with what is working best for you.

What Bwian said....

Some people had differing results with various markers. I usually use Expo, myself. Some residue can build up and, depending on your experience, you might have to take a few minutes at the end of a gaming session to clean them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before i play I wipe the counter and then try to keep fingers off the counter face to prevent some smearing and marker jamming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't had any real issues with Expo black fine point markers. (not extra-fine!)

I did spend a couple bucks on some alcohol wipes, and I keep a couple in my Talon box: https://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Alcohol-Prep-Sterile-Medium/d...

If there's any residue at the end of a session, a quick wipe gets them crystal clean and ready for the next battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Since travelbug already has Talon listed as owned, I'm guessing a reprint isn't the best solution here.

That said, I haven't had any problems with the markers that came with the game. I also haven't played enough games that I would expect to see problems crop up.

my main issue is the build up of residue which makes it difficult to wipe off after just a few erasures. ive tried different pen types and q-tips as suggested by some to no avail.

and yes im not planning on selling and rebuying the game as that might prove a bit difficult from where i live.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
1. Talk GMT into re releasing the original counters with the new finish.

id want to find an alternative solution first, before buying anything new .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Blotner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I also had a horrible first experience with the markers/counters.
I tried Q-tips, Napkins, wet, dry, but couldn't get it to work well.
The amount of effort involved in wiping off a mark made the game practically unplayable. :-(

That being said, I love the game and want to get it to work. The fact that I got my butt kicked the first time and sorely want a rematch is an added incentive to figure this out! :-)

@ martimer: Regarding the clear book cover idea - have you already tried this? If yes, is there a specific brand I should buy?

Also, are there any other suggestions for new markers besides Expo fine (but not extra-fine)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Active Ingredient wrote:
martimer: Regarding the clear book cover idea - have you already tried this? If yes, is there a specific brand I should buy?
Unfortunately, no. I know that it has worked in the past on other projects but it has been a few years. I have some that I can experiment with, but that will have to wait for a rainy day (like tomorrow!).

Edited because tomorrow came early!

I experimented with Tiger Cover Film and Scotch Packing Tape (the thin stuff, 1 mil) and various dry erase markers (I have no wet erase markers). In short term testing both coverings worked perfectly and I was able to erase with a simple dry Kleenex brand tissue (I did not calibrate my testing by using other brands or cleaners) and no bleed through.

Yes it is work to lay out a strip of covering, slap the counters onto one side, trim with a knife (or scissors) but it works just like I predicted.

I will try to remember to do time testing tomorrow and later in the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Working just fine three days later with dry erase markers. I am calling it a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.