Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniatures games can be classified in many ways. One in particular that I am always keen on is the degree of hidden information in the game. Some games lay out all the factors and victory goes to the player who can optimise his chances of success by mitigating the luck of the opponents combat dice and maximising his own statistical chances of successful rolls - all the unknowns have been scouted out, supply is known, the quality and enthusiasm of the troops, both friendly and those opposing is understood - now bring it all together and win. An example of such a game would be Flames of War.

Other games add some hidden information to the mix with events or modifiers that the player can hang onto and play at hopefully the optimum moment. Example of such games are the Command and tactics cards in the Commands & Colors series of games and now, the hidden factors on the dials in Runewars Miniatures that impact on the order in which units activate and add modifiers to otherwise known factors.

Now on the face if it that is a very good mechanic as far as i am concerned.

But, what do players think about the aesthetics of the dials - to me they look very clunky and quite obtrusive on the table and they detract a lot from the look of that nice model terrain and beautifully painted miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Yarborough
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the tabletop usually littered with dice, counters, templates and measuring devices anyway? I don't think it will be that distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I never even thought about gaming tools as being detracting to any table-top game. If you want, you can keep the dials at the edge of the board where you have all your other cards/rulers/dice/rules as long as you can keep track of which dial goes to which unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they bother you, keep them off the board next to your stat cards.

The drawback is that it's clearer to read the board state with tokens on the models. At least in competitive play, I'm not willing to give up performance so I either have to risk errors or slow the game by continually asking my opponent "which is the wounded one again?" Therefore, your opponent should be allowed to request that effects be marked more clearly on the models if they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
to me they look very clunky and quite obtrusive on the table and they detract a lot from the look of that nice model terrain and beautifully painted miniatures.

This has to be satire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
If they bother you, keep them off the board next to your stat cards.

The drawback is that it's clearer to read the board state with tokens on the models. At least in competitive play, I'm not willing to give up performance so I either have to risk errors or slow the game by continually asking my opponent "which is the wounded one again?" Therefore, your opponent should be allowed to request that effects be marked more clearly on the models if they want.

I've done this with X-Wing a lot, especially in TIE Swarms when things are really cluttered, just keep the dial on the card. It's not "official" and isn't supposed to be done during tournaments though I sometimes do that too.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies all. Tokens in war games are inescapable and we use all sorts in our games but usually try to dress them up - so casualty markers are painted dead figures on a flocked base and so on.

The dials in this game are quite large - certainly functional but not necessarily aesthetically pleasing. If you make a lot of effort to paint the minis and make up nice terrain, then it seems to me that the dials will detract from the presentation of the game somewhat.

It seems from your answers that the game mechanics are most important and I
agree that this mechanic does look very promising.

gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most troublesome component is the double-dial standee. Those could just as easily be kept off-board near the unit's stat card. In the demo games I saw, it didn't seem to be a *huge* issue, but they were clearly present, and their size makes them rather imposing. I think - as with most minis games - aesthetic is important and keeping as much clutter off the tabletop as possible is nice; after all, miniatures gamers tend to play not just for the mechanics of the game, but the presentation as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.