Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this game is amazing.

Most reviewers, including myself, have had the Creature win every game. Of course, right now that's because I keep playing as the Creature when I teach newbies. I firmly believe the Hunted CAN win, and we've had really close games.

However, I also think as the Hunted, it's not as exciting once you've played your Survival card, and can't get more easily - the Creature gets to play a cool card every turn!

So, a simple variant: whenever a Hunted "dies", i.e. loses his/her third Will (by giving up, or getting caught), they also draw a Survival card when they take all of their Locations and Will back.

This way, more Survival cards enter the game, but obviously in a moment where the Creature just had a big success.

Let me know if you try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Gerlach
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Very good idea. I will try this at the first opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea, I will keep it in mind. However, I lost my one play as the creature (versus 4 Hunted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb

I always say that rules exist to be changed. So do what you want. The important is that you like the game ! ;-)

But, believe me, Hunted can win (also with our rules).

Have fun,

Etienne (from Geek Attitude Games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think that if you give a Survival card each time a Hunted lose his last will token, you will unbalanced the game but why not.

What I would suggest if you want to help the Hunted (e.g. experienced Creature against newbie Hunted), place the Rescue token one space before on the track during the set up. For instance, for a 4 players game, place the Rescue token on the space 3 players.

aldaryn wrote:
First off, this game is amazing.

Most reviewers, including myself, have had the Creature win every game. Of course, right now that's because I keep playing as the Creature when I teach newbies. I firmly believe the Hunted CAN win, and we've had really close games.

However, I also think as the Hunted, it's not as exciting once you've played your Survival card, and can't get more easily - the Creature gets to play a cool card every turn!

So, a simple variant: whenever a Hunted "dies", i.e. loses his/her third Will (by giving up, or getting caught), they also draw a Survival card when they take all of their Locations and Will back.

This way, more Survival cards enter the game, but obviously in a moment where the Creature just had a big success.

Let me know if you try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a data point, i've only played the game once so far, and the hunted won fairly easily, because they were better at mind games than the hunter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good!

I do not think the game is all that unbalanced if at all, but this could used for games with an experienced hunter vs. noobs, for example.

Mostly I just want more Survival cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Just as a data point, i've only played the game once so far, and the hunted won fairly easily, because they were better at mind games than the hunter...

That's the point. Some people are born hunters and others have a strong survival instinct. I have already experienced a game where the Creature didn't manage to catch us and it was a 7-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Good!

I do not think the game is all that unbalanced if at all, but this could used for games with an experienced hunter vs. noobs, for example.

Mostly I just want more Survival cards

If you try it, feel free to share your experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a hunted each place is a "cool" card with an effect.
As I have played the game multiple times ad has been balanced...giving free reward to Hunted feels meh. Also places that gives survival cards will become less interesting maybe...

If you add this, I will consider to give the card as a bonus only if you give up (not if you "die"), or go with the expert variant of recovering only 2 will cubes on death.

Maybe I will make that the "survival" card is put in the place where the hunted died...and someone going there can choose to get it. The fluff around the mechanic will be to examine the absorbed body to gather knowledge on how to survive. It will variate a little the importance of locations that is what give the mind games interesting in my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've played five times and the creature has won every time. I thought an interesting house rule might be to restrict early play of hunt cards, perhaps just for the opening turn to give the hunted a chance. We're all experienced players, but the guy who normally plays as the creature is great at deducing people's moves, not that it's hard if you can't access the rover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iceberg84 wrote:
We've played five times and the creature has won every time. I thought an interesting house rule might be to restrict early play of hunt cards, perhaps just for the opening turn to give the hunted a chance. We're all experienced players, but the guy who normally plays as the creature is great at deducing people's moves, not that it's hard if you can't access the rover.

You could start by simply trying "No Hunt cards on turn 1". It's definitely easier for Hunted once they gain momentum.

I have found with 2-4 players, it's a little easier for the Hunted, especially if they pull off ab early turn where no one gets caught.

Edit: This is actually a far simpler fix than mine. And it's much less likely to be an overcorrection. I like it and intend to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
if you're finding it too easy for the hunted (or the hunter), why not just start one space closer (or farther away) on the progress track? i was very surprised this wasn't listed in the rules as a simple way to handicap the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
aldaryn wrote:
iceberg84 wrote:

You could start by simply trying "No Hunt cards on turn 1". It's definitely easier for Hunted once they gain momentum.

I have found with 2-4 players, it's a little easier for the Hunted, especially if they pull off ab early turn where no one gets caught.

Edit: This is actually a far simpler fix than mine. And it's much less likely to be an overcorrection. I like it and intend to try it.

No hunt cards on turn 1 would definitely give the hunted a chance if there's an experienced player as the creature.

In two of the games we played, the creature used similar hunt cards in the first two turns to disable both the rover and the beach while the creature stalked its lair.

Doing so resulted in blow-outs for the creature since the hunted wasted their best cards early on and were forced to be on the defensive for the next few turns just trying to recover their cards, which of course the creature anticipated and was able to predict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Davey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly, I have now played this 5 times and the hunted have won every time, even when playing with the expert variant listed in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.