$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Paths to Hell» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules say that you can attack out of sighting range target. Thus hidden units.
But how does the Air Location chart work?
There is a located row and a not located row below the terrain, both with a range of dice roll for each terrain. For example, for open ground, those range are 2-10 and 2-8 respectively.

And the rules say that 'To locate the enemy it is necessary to obtain a result within the range indicated for each case, depending on the terrain type in which the enemy unit is located and if it is hidden or not.'

So I don't understand the relation with the above rule and the table.

Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Quote:
The rules say that you can attack out of sighting range target. Thus hidden units.


Right and to know if the unit is hidden or not you need check the terrain hex target in the "Spotting Chart"

Quote:
There is a located row and a not located row below the terrain, both with a range of dice roll for each terrain. For example, for open ground, those range are 2-10 and 2-8 respectively.


Once you know if it is hidden or not; let say the enemy unit is a stationary target in a open terrain and is at a distance of 7 hexes from the officer, so is a located one. Move to the "Air Located Chart", check the located row and open terrain column, we have a "2-10", so roll 2D6 and need a result to located of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 if don't obtain any of this results, fail the location and the air mission is lost.

If the target is hidden, make the same process but this time need check the "No located" row.

Best
Niko
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Nicolas, and again, thanks for your patience.

In fact, That's what I understood.

But, the row 'located' and the row 'not located' on the chart confused me. The rules say that you roll 2d6 to determine if you locate a unit. In essence, the rows should be 'spotted' and 'hidden', whilst the 2d6 roll results would be 'located' if within the range, or not located if outside the range, and thus, the air mission is lost.

this is not over, alas. Another question, or more to the point, a clarification, looking at the following rule

'The 88mm Flak36 AA gun: This unit can attack both ground units (via AT attack), and engage in reaction fire against any air bombardment missions that take place within 5 hexes of the unit, even if two or more missions are taking place.'

So, suppose two air missions are within range of a single 88mm. The 88 can only reaction fire once and be finished. Ok?
If so, why the rule ends with 'even if two missions are taking place'. Does it mean, on the contrary, it can fire at both air missions before being finished?


Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Hi Marc

So, suppose two air missions are within range of a single 88mm. The 88 can only reaction fire once and be finished. Ok?
If so, why the rule ends with 'even if two missions are taking place'. Does it mean, on the contrary, it can fire at both air missions before being finished?


Once the missions have been assigned, the enemy may fire anti-air points in response, if he has any.the 88 can fire at both air missions that take place within 5 hexes of the unit before being finished,if the missions are called for the same leader, resolve the anti-air atacks and put a finished counter in the 88

JCCB
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Quote:
But, the row 'located' and the row 'not located' on the chart confused me. The rules say that you roll 2d6 to determine if you locate a unit. In essence, the rows should be 'spotted' and 'hidden', whilst the 2d6 roll results would be 'located' if within the range, or not located if outside the range, and thus, the air mission is lost.


I understand, will change in the chart "Hidden" instead of "No Located" because can lead to confusion.

Best
Niko
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cebryk wrote:
Hi Marc

So, suppose two air missions are within range of a single 88mm. The 88 can only reaction fire once and be finished. Ok?
If so, why the rule ends with 'even if two missions are taking place'. Does it mean, on the contrary, it can fire at both air missions before being finished?


Once the missions have been assigned, the enemy may fire anti-air points in response, if he has any.the 88 can fire at both air missions that take place within 5 hexes of the unit before being finished,if the missions are called for the same leader, resolve the anti-air atacks and put a finished counter in the 88

JCCB


(last clarification about that)
Event if both air missions are not targeting the same hex?

Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Niko3 wrote:
Hi Marc,

Quote:
But, the row 'located' and the row 'not located' on the chart confused me. The rules say that you roll 2d6 to determine if you locate a unit. In essence, the rows should be 'spotted' and 'hidden', whilst the 2d6 roll results would be 'located' if within the range, or not located if outside the range, and thus, the air mission is lost.


I understand, will change in the chart "Hidden" instead of "No Located" because can lead to confusion.

Best
Niko


Hidden would be more accurate as this is the technical word used when not spotted.

BTW, from a design point of view, why air missions are the only attacks that can target hidden units?

Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marc,

Because the air advantage to spot units.

Best
Niko
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ah ok. So the officer suppose there are enemies there but they are hidden. So he asks aircraft to recon there and to strike if they see something. Right?

Marc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Cebrián
msg tools
Quote:
BTW, from a design point of view, why air missions are the only attacks that can target hidden units?


NO
ART attacks may be made against unspotted enemy units, but the FF is reduced by half.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.